“GEM IN THE HAMPTONS!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
New York, New York, United States
“GEM IN THE HAMPTONS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was my family's fourth year at The Hamptons House Of Gardens B&B. We enjoy it more and more each year. We choose to stay in the suite, which overlooks the pool and gives us privacy. The suite has a large size bathroom with clean fresh towels each day.

The room has a warm and inviting feeling with central air. The saltwater pool is always heated to perfection and the mineral hot tub is refreshing. The grounds are manicured with blooms of beautiful flowers, while the adjacent organic garden provides us with the most delicious breakfasts each morning. Michelle the hostess is more then accommodating with all our needs. She is a great source of information and was able to point us to all the best restaurants in town and other points of interest.

I highly recommend the Hampton House and Garden B&B.

Room Tip: I stayed in the suite.
Green Features: breakfasts are harvested from the organic garden. Biodegradable toiletries Waste is composted ENERGY STAR guest room appliances Local plants in garden Energy-saving lighting controls Landscaping designed to minimize flooding
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
mitchone, Owner at Hamptons House of Gardens Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We love having you every year for your family Vaca.
You have become like family. It has been a pleasure to see your family grow and have them enjoy all the amenities we have on our property. I love taking the kids into the garden to have them help pick for the morning breakfast. It is such a pleasure to share that with them because they always show me something I missed going on in the gardens. We look forward to seeing you on your next Vaca. or when you come out to the Hamptons.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Very friendly atmosphere. Michelle, the owner, has hand painted the rooms walls herself, in the most amazing designs. Breakfast was an experience. This is not a swinging Hot Spot, but a relaxing spot to unwind.

Room Tip: Studio is very private and quiet
Green Features: Fresh herbs are used for breakfast, with Michelle explaining their use.
Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

mitchone, Owner at Hamptons House of Gardens Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave such a wonderful review, We are so glad that you had such a relaxing stay and hope that your next stay with us is just as relaxing and tranquil. We would love to meet your family and friends so spread the word. Look forward to seeing you again in the near future!!
Holbrook, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I hate to give such a low rating but the truth is this was a room over the homeowner's garage...It was far from a bed & breakfast and for the price we paid it was a huge disappointment. We paid a fortune to sleep in a strangers garage and eat terrible food, drink awful coffee & had the homeowner watch over our shoulder while ate breakfast on her deck (which by the way, the table was covered in bird poop)!! It was the worst breakfast & watered down coffee we'd ever had. This place should not be in business. Its way over priced for what it is. We found a hair in our bar of soap which had been there for who knows how long & when I dried myself off with the towels provided there were short hairs all over it which then got all over me...my fiancé & I were extremely disgusted. We couldn't get out of there fast enough!! The homeowner was overly nice (which kind of weirded us out) but that doesn't make up for the fact that this was the worst "bed & breakfast". She also tried to convince us to go back when the pool was open...she said it was a salt water pool & hot tub which she got because her vet told her it was better for her dogs to swim in....HER DOGS SWIM IN THE POOL & HOT TUB!!! Eewww! I had read a post from a man who posted what I thought at the time to be a really odd post but after staying there I must say he was dead on...We were extremely disappointed with the Hampton House of Garden & unfortunately must say we DO NOT recommend staying here & we will NEVER return no matter what.

Green Features: We are all about being environmentally friendly but the truth is there was a big compost pile at the entry way which was a hug turn off. Flies & bugs swarm over the pile as you walk in.The salt water pool & hot tub that the owner swims in with her dogs..GROSS!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We are so sorry to hear that these guests did not enjoy their time at Hamptons House of Gardens B&B, as it was a great surprise to us. Yes, the room is over a garage, but the garage is used for storage as is a basement, which has never been an issue. It also has a reception area that is professionally presented, as is the suite it represents. The suite is decorated and treated as such, with expensive furnishings, a private bathroom, beverage fridge, its own private garden, and a view of the pool. It also comes with a beach pass. We have had many guests state that our bathrooms are kept immaculately clean and we are sorry that she had that experience, but we have never come across this before. As far as our rates are concerned, even in April there are some hotels that require a two night minimum at almost $200 per night. Yes, the hot tub is salt water mineral. The reason we found this out is because our vet’s wife is bromaline allergic and I was looking for something for our guests who are bromaline allergic as well. Dogs can NEVER go into a hot tub because it can actually kill them, so our dogs have never experienced it. These guests had different expectations, which is fine. We wouldn’t want people to be uncomfortable here, and we understand that our style is not for everyone. Thank you.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I was not going to write a review; the owner, Michelle is 'nice' to some extent & tries hard in some areas, but it were these "great!" reviews that misled me...I went to Hampton's House of Garden w/a good friend of mine. Driving down the road, I was skeptical right away-very old, low-key, 'po'-like area, but quaint..ok. We drive to the house-it is overwhelmed w/"gardens"-really looks like an unkempt place shrouded by what look to me like weeds, wildflowers (I guess); sprinkler was on right over the front porch so you will get wet. Upon ringing the doorbell, I was greeted by Michelle (v. pleasant) & 3 rowdy dogs. I told her immed. that I do not like dogs (I do, but not in the sense of them all over me & I'm a paying guest there for a swanky event in the Hamptons). She said, no problem, she'll take them upstairs. Which she did only once. The dogs were in the kitchen. You could hear them barking, running throughout the stay...One dog was in the hallway, near our bedroom. Anyway, I was there for an event -we told Michelle I would be in a hurry. She seemed ok w/that, but later seemed offended by us 'not enjoying the house'. My friend was not going to same event-she did want to enjoy the beach, etc. She even visited w/Michelled & saw her photos & son (who has dreds) walking thru the house. Michelle complained how my friend did not get in the mineral pool, nor the hammock in the back & how we didn't really experience the place. She went on about that..& on...My friend hurt her foot & the owner went on about how my friend stayed in the car while I was gone & did not put her feet in the mineral pool. My friend is a doctor & told me she felt more comfortable sitting in our rented car finishing up some work, & said she did not want to be disturbed while during her work & did NOT want to lay in some hammock w/dogs possibly running all over the place in the backyard, & getting attacked by a tic!. I just didn't get Michelle..When I came back from my event's after party late, I was actually embarassed when the driver dropped me off. He even commented that the place doesnt look like a b&b, & he's from there! The house was completely dark, no porch light on. Here I am in my high heels & my cute little dress...& could not get in the b&B. I called my friend (she was asleep), but it is not her responsibility to get me into the house that I paid for. I call Michelle (I could hear the message recorder) from the front porch. The house was dead silent. I rang the doorbell 3 times! Once, a light came on, then went out. I went around the side of the house w/all the overgrown grass, 'flowers', & weeds -I was scared to go any further for fear of snakes & whose to say where the dogs were & it was really dark. My friend did see a dear earlier, I just wanted to get inside. Finally, Michelle answers the front door. I was upset but I ended up being the one apologizing. Michelle was like, 'why didn't you go around the side of the house? you friend was to show you how to get in' Anyway, my friend said there's a latch that she didn't even know how to use on the side the house. The next morning, I asked Michelle just exactly how was I suppose to get in? She showed me & the house is just opened - you can go in straight thru the kitchen after going in via the side fence. I didn't like that. I'm sure they have had no incidents & our bedrooms do lock but to have the house open like that? The room I was in was v. small - reminded me of my great, great grandmother's home. The owner tries - she can be v. accomodating-turns down your bed; has some girl (she calls her chef) making a really nice breakfast (although I wasn't down w/her hands touching the crepes)...We didn't eat breakfast (dogs all in the kitchen) & I'm sure Michelle was offended by that! Anyway, I know the owner wants a nice review.She typed a letter after we left, mentioned a nice review would be valuable but I have to be honest. It was these reviews that led me to this scary place-if I can alert someone else, then good. Of course depends on what you like-if you're ok w/unknown dogs running around & on you, an owner w/an attitude if you're not 'enjoying the place', then go for it. Her defiance w/the dogs was enough for me, & I didn't pay to entertain the owner. I know it's a bed&breakfast but for $300/nt ($50 added if you only stay 1 night), I really was NOT comfortable..& the dog licked my leg in my dress while I was in the kitchen, leaving for church.

Room Tip: I say "Poor" for the Service because the owner did not listen to what made me comfortable...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hampton’s House of Gardens would like to apologize for these particular guests’ displeasure in their stay. That said, some of these comments made by one of the guests above need addressing and clarifying, since the review is more attacking than informing.

1) We are located in a residential neighborhood. Many Bed and Breakfasts are. Nevertheless, it is a respectable neighborhood, with many lovely people.

2) They tried to check in early in the morning, not at 4 pm, the actual check-in time given. If they would have come at the appointed time, the sprinklers would have been off.

3) Our establishment is “overwhelmed w/gardens,” hence our name. However, none of them are wild. We have Passion Flower, Moon Flower, Gardenia, Fairy Flower, Morning Glory, Hydrangeas, and Day Lilies to name a few, all which are hand-picked perennials planted by the owner. We have pictures on our website so that others can see for themselves what our establishment’s gardens actually look like.

4) We explained to our guests about coming home late in the evening. They must use the back gate with the hot pink pole chain. We walk everyone through this process when they first arrive because unfortunately we cannot stay up 24 hours a day for those guests who decide to stay out late at night.

5) Fear of snakes? Being attacked by ticks? We cannot comment on these issues, since they sound more like personal issues. Our gardens are manicured and well kept even if people feel they look “Wild,” but a garden snake or tick does not respond to “Keep Out.”

6) For security purposes, we lock the doors in the evening for all guests who have rented rooms in the house, unless a guest lets us know they will be out late. In that case, arrangements are made. There are security sensor lights that go on when a car pulls into a driveway. There had to have been porch lights on because they go on automatically. Guests who stay in the suite have their own keys. If a guest comes home late, they can easily access their room themselves. That is what the keys are given for. When all guests are on the premises, the back door is locked.

7) The Hamptons House of Gardens Family never complains about guests not going in the mineral pool or using the hammock. Using these amenities is only suggested in the case a guest temporarily forgets they have access to them. You may sit on concrete if you prefer, but if we see someone doing so, we will always remind them that there are more comfortable options available. It’s never considered complaining. It’s just considerate customer service.

8) Our two hypo-allergenic dogs, a Maltese and a Cavishan, and white Siberian Husky (a frequent visitor) are all rescues with the sweetest dispositions. They are extremely friendly and loved by many of our guests. Yes, they bark when new people arrive; most dogs do. However, we would NEVER allow dangerous, aggressive dogs to interact with guests. Jazzy licked this guest’s leg for a moment while she stopped by in the kitchen. All we can do is apologize for the extra friendliness Jazzy showed her and ask that our future guests please read the website carefully before booking a room, since our dogs are our family and will be here for the duration.

9) Our chef, Carol Galanty, is indeed a professional chef with all the academic credentials required to call herself a chef. She is also a food lifestyle educator who, if asked, provides advice and/or instruction on healthy cooking. It’s too bad these guests didn’t take the opportunity to enjoy her amazing creations. But again, whatever makes our guests happy is our concern.

We are sorry that she didn’t enjoy her stay and are disappointed that she couldn’t enjoy all we have to offer. If she was looking for the Ritz, this isn’t the place to stay, but for the price you pay, we are the most reasonable and accommodating in Southampton.
Westhampton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

if you are looking for a place to stay in South Hampton, look no further. beautiful themed rooms, refreshing pool, relaxing hot tub, great breakfast - creme brule steel cut oats!! Michelle treats you like gold.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
mitchone, Owner at Hamptons House of Gardens Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so glad that you enjoyed our company as much as we enjoyed yours. As a small Bed and Breakfast, we can accommodate a wide variety of needs. We love when guests are able to relax in our refreshing pool and hot tub. I hope you tell all your friends and family about us and look forward to your return!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I went to the Hampton's House of Garden with my boyfriend a month ago. I had a very laid back and relaxing time there. The owner Michelle made us feel at home. She was very down to earth and easy to talk to. Breakfast was pretty delicious and healthy. She used a variety of fresh herbs that she grows in her garden when she is cooking. Carol Galanty, a Health Supportive Chef took over on the weekend. I asked her many questions about the different herbs that we ate. She thoroughly explained to me the health benefits of each one.

Our suite was very clean and neatly put together. The bedroom and bathroom walls are painted in different faux finishes techniques that Michelle did herself. We forgot to bring toothpaste. When I went in the bathroom, there was 2 kinds of natural toothpastes in a bin. There was a pair of house slippers and a bathrobe in the wardrobe. I missed them when I left because I used them to lounge everyday I was there. Michelle even let me borrow one of her favorite movies. She did everything to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Her Husband was hospitable as well.

I was recovering from a cold when I went there. I was still very tired. I left feeling rejuvenated, replenished, and ready to get back in the swing of my busy life. I am glad that I spent those days there. I have been wanting to start an herb garden for a while. Michelle's garden really inspired me to grow my own. I will go back as soon as I get some free time.

I highly recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone trying to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. It's perfect for someone wanting to experience something different from the typical Hamptons.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
mitchone, Owner at Hamptons House of Gardens Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am so glad to hear that your stay was so enjoyable. We look forward to your return. The robes and slippers will be here waiting for you!! Please tell your friends and family about us. Keep us in mind and see you next time!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I just rocked up to south hamptons after being in new york city for our elopement-looking for a B&B. happy we found Michelle and her little sanctuary. We loved the personal service , homely feel and completly relaxing feeling we got from being there. Breakfast was organic and the produce was really tasty. She even garnished the plates with edible flowers and herbs. We could tell that Michelle truly loved looking after people. I would highly recommend this place- especially if you love clean relaxing environments.

• Stayed July 2013
mitchone, Owner at Hamptons House of Gardens Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so glad your stay was so enjoyable. Being a small Bed and Breakfast, we are able to cater to all of our guests on a one-on-one basis. We try our best to keep the atmosphere relaxing for restful rejuvenation. I hope you tell all your friends and family about us and look forward to your return!!

Been to Hamptons House of Gardens Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!