“Special restaurant for special dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Chateau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, French, Continental, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Junction 123
Transit: MetroNorth: NY - Katonah Train Station; CT - Branchville Train Station
Description: Elegant dining in beautiful country estates built in 1907 by JP Morgan. Overlooking the Hudson Valley. Now open on second floor JP's Lounge casual dining, sunset view, wines & cocktail bar, small plate menu.
CT
“Special restaurant for special dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Enjoyed a wonderful evening ...everything was top notch....if in doubt...GO!
You won't regret it....service ...food.... atmosphere ...excellent!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

59% Recommend
Brookfield, Connecticut
“AMAZING, as always!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

A MUST visit! A beautiful property, and the French food is the best I've had in upper NY/CT....Bon Appetit!

Visited December 2012
Wappingers Falls, New York
“I didn't want to be disappointed, but unfortunately we were.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This review makes me sad because Le Chateau holds special childhood memories for me. It is a beautiful restaurant, and the waitstaff is lovely and attentive. Unfortunately, what's described on the menu does not always match what you get on your plate, and nobody said we should expect substitutions on ingredients.

Let me be clear. The desserts and soufflés were wonderful. A+! The staff was friendly, helpful and genuine. The chateau look as lovely as ever. Yet, my family and I were shocked when the food arrived and we did not get what was described on the Brunch menu.

I would say the Escargot was a winner on the apps menu, but things went off the rails when the "Grilled Scallops and Red Onions Brochette with warm Tomato Compote" came out. The scallops were grilled perfectly but there was NO Red Onions Brochette and warm Tomato Compote. We did get 5 warm grape tomatoes and a tiny serving of sautéd spinach.

There was more disappointment with the main courses. Three people ordered the Grilled Salmon with Garlic Thyme Risotto and Red Wine Jus. What they got was long grain white rice. No Risotto at all! I guess the kitchen thought since 2 kids ordered it, nobody would notice. Well, their parents did notice.

One of the specials was Medallions of Beef with Foie Gras. We were served perfectly cook medallions, but no Foie Gras was to be found. The sides also did not match what was presented by the waiter.

We were there as a family celebration and enjoying each other's company, so I think we were all so surprised by the substitutions and missing ingredients that we just ate what was in front of us and didn't complain.

I'm really hoping this was a fluke, but I just can't justify the price on the check with what came out on our plates. And, sadly, we won't be going back anytime soon. There are just too many great restaurants in the area to choose from.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had our wedding there in 2008 and the food, wine, service and attentiveness to all facets of preparation of the event, and the actual day, were magnificent.

katonah, new york
“Beautiful restaurant with wonderful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a beautiful building -- once the home of a bishop. JP Morgan build the house for his friend, Bishop Rainsford. It has all the charm of a country home of the early 1900s. The setting is lovely, especially in the winter. I have never had a bad meal here. Nice menu, great service, good wine, and terrific food. Worth every penny. and now they actually have a special prix fixe dinner in the more casual room, called JP's.

Visited April 2012