“Nervous about Sushi? Come here to ease your nerves!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Asian fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Description: telephone 631-979-0697
Smithtown, New York
“Nervous about Sushi? Come here to ease your nerves!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I must admit, I'm nervous about Sushi. I had a couple of bad experiences in my youth and I've avoided eating it like the plague. I was outvoted by a group of co-workers to come here and I figured I could always eat the tempura to "be safe."

Thankfully, a co-worker of mine told me to trust him and let him order. I re-iterated that I didn't want to eat anything that wasn't cooked....again, I was told to trust him.

First dish to hit the table, Spicy Tuna Sashimi, which is sliced tuna, and yes, it's raw, with jalapenos. Everybody except me tried it....everyone ranted and raved....I popped one in my mouth and was suprised as how incredibly delicious it was. I ate two!

Then, the signature rolls made their way out. Valentine roll, Snowflake roll, Paradise roll, Twister roll, and a salmon roll. Two of these are "cooked," but I didn't care anymore. Every single one of these that I tried was absolutely delicious. In an instant, Aji 53 has become one of my favorite restaurants and I'm already chomping at the bit to get back.

Oh, the ambiance, at least on a Thursday night at 9pm was fairly quiet. The staff is incredibly attentive and helpful and make you feel like you're definitely a VIP.

Highly recommended, especially if you're nervous about enjoying a sushi experience. This place will convert you immediately.

• Visited December 2012

Plainview, New York
“Posh Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I thought the fish was very fresh. The presentation unique and service very good. We shared the daily catch; it was a golden snapper. The special was served sashimi style with the carcass wedged up on a plate of ice and the chuncks of fish scattered around the plate uniquely served. The rolls are reasonable, but overall a bit expensive. Judging by the incredible ambience and the amount of money spent on decor it can easliy be justified. The lighting was a bit too dim to read the menus.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good food, city atmosphere, surprisingly delicious desserts!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoy their fresh sushi and the fun atmosphere. The prices seem about right for the food and service. The desserts are so delicious. Not what you might expect from a Japanese restaurant. My only and biggest complaint about this place is that the hostess walks around in a skirt way too small for her and she looked about 15 years old. Totally unnecessary.

Long Island
“Add A Star If You Like The Atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

When we go out for sushi, we enjoy a drink and a variety of sushi and sashimi and conversation. The loud music and bar scene was wasted on us, so we asked for a quieter table, but they could not accommodate us. Still, the service was attentative and the salads were fresh and tasty. Our sashimi for two was over-the-top delicious and the price reflected it. Bottom line: if you enjoy the stylish ambiance and music, add a star.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
new york
“5 star sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This has become one of my favorite restaurants lately. The food is extremely fresh, the menu is inventive and the service is very friendly. It is an unbeatable combination of what I look for when I go out to eat...My favorite roll is the American Dream, although I am working my way through the list. If Kumomoto oysters are on the menu - grab them they are delicious on the half shell...It is fun to go with a big group so you can share food with everyone. I have like everything I have tried so far on the menu from the cooked fish dishes to the tempura to the sushi. Bravo Aji 53!

• Visited August 2012