“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Insignia Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 97 Restaurants in Smithtown
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
East Northport, New York
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The place itself is very impressive. We went on a Saturday night and had to wait about 45 minutes, with a reservation. The sushi was delicious. But to my amazement the steaks were totally overcooked. Not just mine, but 2 other people in my party as well. I ordered med-well as the waiter assured me it would still be pink on the inside. It was way over cooked, to the point of being dried out. The desserts were HORRIBLE. I ordered an Apple Streudel that had rubbery apples in a hard as a rock crust. My sister ordered a brownie with an marshmallow sauce, that she nearly choked on. The marshmallow "sauce" was also like rubber. Very dissapointed.

• 2 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Slow Service but Great Steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This place was jammed pack on a Saturday night with couples, families and assorted groups of 8 to 12 at a table. We first had a drink at the bar which has a wide selection of beer and specialty drinks. Skip the specialty drinks as they have no kick and not much flavor.
Once seated they hand you an IPad to make your drink selections and with pages and pages of wine options, it's a good thing they do it this way. While the drink orders were taken quickly, it took three requests to get some butter for the bread on the table so service is definitely not a strong point.

While they have a wide variety of seafood and other items on the menu, the strong point here is beef and the rib-eye steak surprised me with its tenderness and decent size. The "special" appetizer of the night was burrata and it ttasted pretty much like what you buy in any supermarket.

Perhaps it was that the servers were overwhelmed which would account for the service but, then again, they had no problem coming around to ask if we wanted another bottle of wine or a drink so I suspect they pay more attention to things that increase the bill.

If you're looking for a decent steak house, this is it but avoid Saturday nights, specialty drinks and asking for butter with your bread.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Holtsville, New York
“dry overcooked food with poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

bought the steak and lobster Sunday special. Here are my comments. The Lobster was good. My only comments on this was the fact that the person very briefly lets you view the Lobster first and then cracks it for you Unfortunately he uses his bare hands without any hand covering such as a glove. He goes from table to table opening these lobsters with his bare hands which I did not like Secondly I ordered median-rare steak with a baked potato. The potato which was huge, for me, seemed that it was reheated from previous days,two or three times. It was terrible and was burnt. The steak was beyond well done and had no flavor at all, only char flavor. . The waiter after he served the food did not even once come over to my table to see how we liked the food. The coffee that came in a presser container barely had enough coffee for 2 people. Over all the food, was terrible, barely seasoned and no taste which for a steakhouse should not be. No I would never recommend this establishment to my friends

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Medford, New York
“3rd trip back-not as great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have loved Insignia my first two times there. Food incredible. Creative delicious menu!! Love the ambience. Great wait service. This time.....food great, ambience great. service....not so great. Waited over 15 minutes to just place drink order. No bread. Finally received the bread. Waiting to order. Finally got drinks. Asked for more bread. 15 minutes no bread and had not placed order yet. Saw waitress and asked for bread again. Took forever to receive it and took forever to place dinner order and receive dinner. Now insignia is definitely very pricey. Not a problem when you know that, but to be very pricey the service should be great. Sooooo - this visit was a disappointment when it came to that. Food again, terrific. But - will think twice when i want to spend a lot of money and not get the great service that should come with it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lake Grove, New York, United States
“Valentines Day”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We thought we would give it another try for Valentines Day. It was good. I feel that its very overated. It looks great but its just good. The service wasn't great. They didn't clear dishes away promptly at all. I felt like they were selling us more sides that we really didn't want to get the bill as high as they could. It worked, Over $450 before tip for 2 adults and 2 children under 12. I know that they own Blackstones, but I always feel great after Blackstones. The waiters and staff are awesome there, not so at Insigna. Also, much to long of a wait to get your car from the valet. Overall it was ok, I might try it again on a less crowded night. We recently went to the Capital Grill in Nassau County and it was fantastic. The service was far better than Insigna. Pricey as well but I felt that it was a far better experience and valve. Thanks

• 3 of 5 stars Food