“Disgusted!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Havana Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 97 Restaurants in Smithtown
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ledgewood Dr.
Description: Fine Cuban cuisine
Port Jefferson Station, New York
“Disgusted!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

BEWARE!!! NOT GLUTEN FREE AS CLAIMED!
I do not usually do this but I am completely disgusted with the unprofessionalism of this establishment. I should have learned after having trouble with my reservations that this restaurant was not a good idea. After spending almost a thousand dollars with our group, no accommodations were made for their poor service. The managers of this establishment are amateurs who really need to take a class in communications and customer service! As descriptive as this review is, it barely begins to describe the unprofessionalism of the staff and management, and the inability of this establishment to cater to a large group.
1-Reservation issues
If you do not have an EXACT number of people dining, your reservation will have to be moved. I was not able to add or even remove 4 people without having to move my reservation more than once. I was ridiculed by the manager about “how busy it was”, even though I made the reservations 2 weeks in advance.
2-Two hour wait for food
We were seated at 8:57pm only to finally eat at 11:22pm. Appetizers arrived with the food. When given a complaint about the wait I was told “the food is prepared fresh, so it takes that long to cook it”. The meals were overpriced and unsatisfying.
3-Spoiled drinks
My guests received the wrong drinks and the bartenders were disappointing. My martini had too much vodka, while the mojito’s did not have enough rum.
4-“Birthday surprise”
If you are celebrating a birthday, make sure to ASK for it to be put on a desert. I received a plate with Happy Birthday written on it, with a blob of whip cream about an inch wide and a candle in the middle. When I asked why it was not on a desert I was told “people are not usually hungry after a meal there, so they serve their birthday surprise as such, unless otherwise requested to be on a desert.
5-They are NOT GLUTEN FREE as claimed
One of my guests is HIGHLY intolerant to gluten. She has been in agony since eating there. If you have Celiac disease, I suggest you look to eat elsewhere. They do not care about cross contamination.
6-Down stairs lounge
After an incredibly disappointing experience in the restaurant, we tried to make the best of the rest of our evening and try the downstairs lounge. There was maybe a handful of people there.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

New York
“Very nice birthday celebration”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

First off, the birthday boy was loving the Hemingway Mojitos - the bartender and the waitress kept him happy all night.

Six of us had a very good meal there this past Saturday night. We started with a bunch of appetizers - mussels in a coconut broth that was New England Chowdery was excellent, the quesadilla was very good and the fried plantain was okay.

For my main course, my wife and I had the Seafood and Lobster Paella for two. It was so so good, so much food and crowned with two lobsters atop the paella bowl. Most everyone finished their plates for they must have enjoyed the food - the other brought home a piuece of there skirt steak.

The desserts were very good especially the Havana Bananas and the Dulce de Leche cheesecake.

Only only "complaints" we had was miscommunication (being kind here) with the waitress on several occasions. First, she forgot to bring out one of the appetizers - which when informed when our main courses came out, she brought it out and did not charge us for it.

Then when we were discussing dessert, the wife of the birthday boy indicated to the waitress to put a candle on one of the desserts while the men were discussing having a cigar after the meal. The waitress then brought out the cheesecake with a candle and a cigar package (with lighter and a cutter). We thought this was a nice touch until we saw it was on the check. A bit noisy there probably added to the confusion. A bit expensive.but a good meal.

We were told since we dined, we had free admission to their club downstairs. Not really my scene - enough said there.

If we went again it would be for the paella for sure.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Smithtown, New York
“Good food but very noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Food is very good and tasty, it's very loud in there especially if are seated in the bar area. The waiter was very nice but he was annoying. He came over every five minutes until finally he got the hint to stop rushing us. You need to make a reservation As its very crowded and most Saturday nights you can't walk in and expect an empty table. Afterwards the valet service took 30 minutes to get the car. It ruined the evening as it was quite cold standing there waiting. I would go back but probably when the weather is warmer.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“New Years Eve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Beautiful restaurant, great food and drinks. Had a fun time at their annual new years eve party. $20 cover, that's a no brainer for new years eve. Live band!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
South Jamesport
“Disappointed and won't go back. :(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My friend and I went here for the New Year's Eve 2013/2014 dinner and lounge event. Our evening started off wonderfully. The hostesses and wait staff were excellent. The prix fixe dinner for the evening included four courses (salad, appetizer, main course and dessert), two drinks and entry into the party in the lounge for $80. The four courses were delicious, as well as the red sangria!!!! So you question why I was disappointed and won't go back?! Being that it was New Years Eve and we wanted to relax and drink responsibly, we took the train to Smithtown and then a taxi to the restaurant. So, at the end of the evening, we called the taxi company. They told us a half hour. No problem, we sat at the bar and waited. 45 minutes later, no taxi. We called the taxi company again, as well as one of the hostesses, and they told us an hour and a half. About 2 hours later, still no taxi. You're thinking, what does this have to do with the restaurant? After much discussion of our situation with several of the restaurant staff not one of their employees, or owners (that were supposedly no where on site) offered us a ride to the train station that was 10 minutes away. I apologize, my mistake, we did meet two of the six owners of this establishment. One of them snuck out the front door quickly when he heard we were looking for an owner and the other one said "Happy New Year" as she stepped into her car to leave. We were even willing to pay for someone to take us there. We requested countless times for the owners name, and we were denied the information, or we were told that "we don't know the owners name". There is much more to the story but it's just too much drama. I am truly disappointed in Cafe Havana as I have been to the establishment on many occasions in the past. I certainly won't be going back because they truly do not care about their customers.

• Visited December 2013