“Solid food and service, yeck wine” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Albany, New York
“Solid food and service, yeck wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We've had a hard time finding eat-in, pitcher of beer and pizza places in the Albany area, so we thought we'd venture further out to Slingerlands and try Mangia. We arrived about 6:30 on a Friday night and were seated immediately (!). The menu was much broader than simply pizza and the Italian specialties were very tempting, so I got the smaller, 12" four-cheese pizza with mushrooms and plum tomatoes and my husband tried the small plate of pollo con tortellini. Both were excellent! Our mistake was in ordering glasses of malbec rather than bottles of beer - it tasted like a cheap cab and was overpriced. But the food was great, the service was friendly and efficient, and we would definitely return.

Visited August 2012
Creoteam, Owner at Mangia, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear TCD12208,

Thanks for visiting Mangia. I am glad you enjoyed your dishes, as our chefs take great pride our hand-crafted dishes. We are in the process of updating our wine list, and I would love to hear more about the Malbec. Some guests love it; some don't, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on a Malbec you might like more.

Feel free to call 439 5555 to speak with Jonny or Vicki - our management team, both of whom help with wine selections.

Thanks,

Brian White, VP White Management

Slingerlands, New York
“Every Now and Then”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Had a nice dinner with friends (actually our son's college roommate and his family) last night. We have been here several times before and the result is ususlly very satisfactory. Last night was no exception. Menu could use some new additions but still has some bright spots. Service last night was fantastic, and we left with a lot of food.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Creoteam, Owner at Mangia, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thanks for coming in to visit Mangia and for the good review. Per your menu comment, we are currently working on some new additions for our Fall/Winter menu which will be out in Mid-October.
BRATTLEBORO, VT
“Not worth a special trip, but good if you're in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Mangia is certainly not in the best location, but if you find yourself lost on New Scotland Rd and hungry, it's not a bad place for dinner. The bread is pretty good, crusty on the outside, soft on the inside. The Pollo Piccata ($16) was okay. It was a little heavy on the butter and light on the capellini. It's fine if there's some butter and/or oil in the entree, but I felt like the capellini was swimming in it. The chicken was tender and plentiful. Asparagus was good. I would go back if I were in the area.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Creoteam, Owner at Mangia, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
IloveVT:

Thanks for the feedback. Great, usable comment on the Piccatta...I agree. Chef and I have worked to dial back the butter and oil on this dish. Glad you liked the bread, asparagus, and the chicken. We look forward to serving you again when you're back in Slingerlands.

Brian White
Delmar, New York, United States
“We go there frequently”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Overall, I really like the restaurant. The staff is always very nice, and helpful. The food is excellent and I like the salad selection. The pizza is also very good. Where I would like to see some improvement is in the speed of refills, and bill processing. Often, I find I either am not asked for a refill or by the time I am asked I am almost done eating. I would also like for the staff to repeat the order back to me to ensure accuracy, I never feel completely confident that they have the order correct.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Slingerlands, New York
“Great variety, good food, and bread that needs a 12 step group!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This used to be a regular stop, especially when they were also at Stuyvesant Plaza! The food is good, and you can get things available no where else. My staple here for example is a brick oven pizza, with shrimp, anchovies, mushrooms and no cheese. Wonderful and fairly healthy. Try finding that elsewhere! Others had eggplant parm with spaghetti, thin eggplant, delicious, and a salad with shrimp which could (should) have been larger or not as expensive!

The bread is as good and addictive as ever. Baked right there, doughy, Great for dipping.

A good meal, somewhere between casual and fine dining, and not a chain!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere