“Lantern Tour of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery - both spooky and beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery
540 North Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591
914-631-0081
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Cemeteries, Educational Sites, Cultural
Dallas, TX
“Lantern Tour of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery - both spooky and beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I am a 50-yr-old mother of two teenagers (13 and 16) living in the Dallas area of Texas. I took my kids to NY for Thanksgiving week, and our very first stop was a lantern tour of the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. It was fantastic! Lots of famous names there, lots of history and interesting facts. And of course, there's Washington Irving's plot and the Headless Horseman Bridge... Be aware - the tour is physically demanding: walking/standing for 2 hours, and walking over uneven ground with holes, tree roots, gravel and rocks with nothing but kerosene lamps to light the way... My 78-yr-old dad is in great shape and did just fine, but my 70-yr-old mom has bad knees, and she opted not to go (wise choice). We enjoyed the tour so much (and we wanted my mom to see it), that we went back during the day to see the place in sunlight. We took a self-guided tour and followed a map and saw the entire cemetery from the comfort of our car (no charge for this). Will definitely go back when/if we visit the area again. Oh - and they have souvenirs for sale during tours, but there is no onsite gift shop. You can purchase gifts at other attractions nearby - we just ordered our souvenirs online at: http://www.headlesshorsemangifts.com/

East Amherst, New York
33 attraction reviews
“Very Interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We did a simple self guided trip through the cemetery looking specifically for the grave of Washington Irving. Maps are available to help guide you through. Our trip was in early winter, so I am sure we didn't see the area in its splendor. It appears that the cemetery would be a beautiful site in the growing season and also in fall with all the color. Our only problem is that the roads are not marked very well. We did manage to find spots we were searching for, but it probably took too long due to the inadequate markings.

New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
“Great day trip from the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I live in NYC and sometimes you've just got to get out of there! My friend had a car for the weekend so we decided to head to Westchester to see the last of the Fall leaves. We ended up in Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow. We parked at the cemetery and spent about 2 hours meandering through the graveyard. It is beautifully maintained and like a walk through history! We were fascinated by the old fashioned names on the tombstones and some of the poetic epitaphs. We saw Washington Irving's grave. We went the day before Veteran's Day and it was very touching to see American flags on the graves of ALL Veterans- Revolutionary War and onward. I would have loved to take a tour but we were too early.

Roselle, New Jersey
13 attraction reviews
“Lantern Tour With Plenty of Fun Stops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I went on the lantern tour offered from 10pm-12am on the weekend before Halloween. The backdrop of screams and chainsaws from the nearby haunted haywagons definitely added to the spookiness, but even without the sounds it was a creepy and fun adventure.

There are a lot of beautiful graves throughout the cemetary and our guide was excellent at telling stories about some of the more popular residents, like Washington Irving and Andrew Carnegie.

The tour is definitely as labeled, and can take the full two hours, so I would not recommend for anyone who has trouble on rough terrain or with walking/standing for long periods. Otherwise, a must-see in Sleepy Hollow.

Jamaica, New York
3 attraction reviews
“*** MURDER AND MAYHEM LANTERN TOUR ***”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

For anyone who loves the Halloween season like I do, here is something just a little bit different... After doing many haunted attractions year after year, I craved something new and thought what could be spookier than a cemetery at night? Especially a cemetery in Sleepy Hollow. Well, I was not disappointed! As the tour kicked off there was no time wasted as story after story unfolded as we stopped at gravesite after gravesite. Our guide was chock full of knowledge and luckily knew the stories and cemetery like the back of her hand. One of our group members actually had his cellphone's GPS on! But no worries...
Most, if not all of the gravesites, were of people no one had ever heard with the exception of Leona Helmsley. But almost all of the stories were way more dismal than hers. And that's saying a lot! ;)
This two hour walking tour was well worth the money spent and I was lucky enough to land tickets the weekend right after Halloween. Everything sold out very quickly in October. I think the tour actually lasted a little over two hours. We were not being rushed along which was nice. The guide was very accomodating as one guest had a train to catch. She had her partner drive over to take that person back to the gate. The terrain could be a little challenging in some areas of the cemetery. Especially in the dark. But that's what added to the attraction! I will definitely go back to this cemetery to explore it in the daylight and probably do another tour in the future because as I've learned during this tour... you can look at a gravestone and feel a sadness for the deceased. But, if you learned the story of the person who lays beneath the ground, you might be surprised, sickened, utterly disgusted by what you found out. I know I was at many points during this tour. I think every one of us was. It surely does put things into perspective. I know I will never enter a cemetery again without wondering what really lies beyond...