“An upstate favorite” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sherwood Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Skaneateles
Sherwood Inn
You added Sherwood Inn to your Saves list
26 W Genesee St, Skaneateles, NY 13152   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Skaneateles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto
“An upstate favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

We have been occasional visitors at the Sherwood Inn since 1998, in fall, spring, and summer. It's warm and inviting in November, while dining on its open porch in the summer is another kind of treat. It's true that it is often very busy and sometimes noisy, but the staff is friendly and competent and we have learned to book rooms on the upper floors, which are both cheaper and quieter. The food is very satisfactory, the town is pleasant, and we are especially fond of the bakery out back. All in all, we know of no more consistently pleasant and reliable facility in the Finger lakes region.

• Liked — The beautiful restoration of a 200-year-old property.
  • Disliked — Occasionally noisy on the street (lake) side
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

We have stayed at the Sherwood Inn a number of times in the past several years, as we often vacation in the Finger Lakes and Adirondacks. Skaneateles is a beautiful town, and the Sherwood is a landmark here.

All the rooms can be viewed before booking via the Sherwood's website. Each room is uniquely decorated, and part of the fun of staying here is that all the rooms are left open after they are made up. After checking in, you can go from room to room to check out its decor -- provided the room is unoccupied, of course!
The lobby is warm and welcoming, and during the chillier months there is usually a fire going in the lobby's fireplace. It's a very nice place to sit and relax. There is a small gift shop off the lobby.

This is a vintage inn, so there is no elevator, and the rooms are located on the 2nd and 3rd floors. (I believe they added a wing that is exclusively handicapped-accessible; check with the hotel for more information.) Some of the rooms are starting to show their age and could use a bit of spiffing up. Breakfast is expanded continental and served on the enclosed front porch, affording an excellent view of beautiful Skaneateles Lake. We were able to access the internet in our room via our laptop.

There are advantages and disadvantages to consider when choosing your room's location in the hotel. Staying at the front of the inn will provide you with a wonderful lake view, but Route 20 in downtown Skaneateles can be pretty busy at times, so there is a noise factor. Staying at the rear of the inn will be quieter (and generally less expensive), but you won't have the view. Also, some of the rooms are located over the inn's tavern. This can be good or bad -- during one visit we decided to take a nap, not knowing there would be live music that day. While we weren't able to nap, we were treated to some very nice live jazz while we relaxed!

In general, this is nice cozy vintage inn, elegant without being formal.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed 1 night at this hotel. It was a Saturday night and this place was 'hoppin'.

Our room was the "pink" room online. It was a smallish room, with a queen bed and a cute bathroom. The bathroom was small, but the tub in the room was a deep soaker- not enough space for 2 comfortably but plenty of room for 1.

This place IS a B&B. It reminds me of an old house. At old houses, when you shut the door everyone can still hear you and vice versa. This is the case at this B&B.

When we arrived to check in, it was 12:30, and many people hadn't checked in. They do something really neat at this place- they leave the doors open, I mean pulled open so that you can walk into the rooms that are not checked in yet. We walked into 4 or 5 other rooms and it was fun to see what the other rooms looked like. The cost of our room was the cheapest- just 130 a night- for what we got, I felt it was a bargain. In the morning they have a continental breakfast but it does include a couple of hot items like eggs-a good value.

We also ate at the restaurant there-the higher end restaurant, not the Tavern. The food and service was fantastic, which explained why both restaurants were PACKED with people waiting in the lobby.-most with drinks from the bar in hand. We wanted to take a nap btwn 4 and 6 and the sound from the 1st floor and those walking outside our door was so loud it was almost impossible to take a nap.

Also, once the dinner crowd leaves, the bar crowd arrives at the Tavern. Loud boisterous men arrive for drinks. When we went to sleep at 11- the bar was going strong and the loud sound could be heard for another hour. Falling a sleep was difficult.

My suggestion is that if you are looking for a romantic stay- be sure to book a room that is on the ends. When you call, ask for a room that is either on the 3rd floor or on the ends of the 2nd floor. Another item to consider- sound travels in this hotel, as I previously noted. IfI could hear them? I am fairly sure they could hear anything that goes on in your room. Now, some of the rooms are suites and those rooms are larger with sitting rooms, meaning your bed is more inside the room and away from the door. Our room, being a smaller room had the bed maybe 3 feet away from the door.

All in all, the hotel was quaint, with a romantic feel and it was really amazing to stay there. I started to think about how this hotel is 200 years old- and how so many people have stayed before us and after. It really is a charming place.

I would have given this B&B a 5 star rating if it weren't for the noise issues. There are not many places one can stay on a Saturday night anymore for $130. Even the most expensive room was I think $225 and that would give you a huge room, with a sitting room attached, and a bathroom the size of most bedrooms. Plus- the food was fantastic!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Sherwood Inn two years ago and liked it so much we decided to stay there again on our way to Buffalo to visit relatives. Overall we still like the location, atmosphere, restaurants and service at the inn and recommend it highly but we must comment on the room we happened to choose this time. The room itself (#35) was small, which, while not great, was passable but the bathroom had to be the smallest we have ever seen in all of our travels in the United States. There was barely enough room for the bath/shower, commode and a very tiny sink let alone accomodate a person. We asked for another room but none was available (they had a full house on a Wednesday). On our first visit we had a good size room with a nice bathroom and expected all of the rooms to be more or less the same. This review was written solely to inform the travelling public to inquire about the size of the room and especially the bathroom. We would stay again at the Sherwood Inn but avoid room #35.

• Liked — Location, character and atmosphere of a genuine old inn
  • Disliked — Size of the room especially the bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

A week after I booked my room directly with the hotel (and paid for it) I received a letter in the mail stating my reservation had been canceled. The girl answering the phone assured me it was just a clerical error and I had merely been mailed the wrong form letter.

I arrived at the hotel at 10:30pm. I was checked in quickly, dropped my bag in the room (I'll get to the room) and headed back downstairs for something to eat. There was no food. Not in the restaurant, not at the bar and there was no room service. Ok.

So I went back to the room, the biggest, best room (#41) they had when I booked. I gave up the view of the lake for this grand suite. This room was not 200sf. There was hardly room to walk around the bed. The sitting area was a table, 2 small chairs and a 13" TV. The bathroom was very small as well and all of it needed updating badly.

I understand this is a landmark and I knew that when I booked. Still, there is no reason this hotel could not be made into a four or even 5 star property without loosing one bit of it's historical value.

At 7:00 am I went downstairs for the breakfast (included) and some espresso. They had not yet set up the continental breakfast. After waiting 20 minutes for them to finish and someone to actually speak to me I ordered a double espresso. 10 minutes later I was told there was no one there who knew how to operate the machine. I left.

I spent 3 nights in this hotel and it never got better. The people at the front counter seemed genuinely concerned but unable to fix anything. The bar staff was very good.

One night we had a dinner reservation at 7:00 pm and were seated around 7:30. We did not have our drink order taken until after 8pm. Two of our party of 7 just left. This is certainly not the place to do business.

Bottom line is this is a 2 star hotel. Sorry, but nothing short of new owners with big bank accounts could fix the Sherwood Inn. Please note that I waited a full week to write this review as to make sure I wasn't still angry about my stay.

• Liked — Wireless internet in the lobby.
  • Disliked — To much to list here.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

This is one of our favorite places to stay in the world!
Really! You can go to The Sherwood Inn any time of year and you will have a perfect stay!
The brunch is also great and you sit on this beautiful porch- you are looking out on the 2nd cleanest lake in North America. (The first is in Alaska) Be sure to get a treat at the patesseri behind The Sherwood. Rent Conoes or Kyacks from the another hotel on Jordan Street. Enjoy a cruise on Mid Lakes Navigation Boat docked at the lake-
Oh we just love it there.
We actually had our wedding at The Sherwood and we had an amazing exerience.
We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — the beautiful lake, antiques, food, friedly people/staff
  • Disliked — spending any money
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
upstate NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

Nice place to stay! Each room is different and the ambience is lovely. The downside is the beds are hard as rocks and the pillows are pretty flat. We had breakfast the next day in the restaurant which was ok.
Very clean. Staff nice.

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!