It is very difficult for me to believe that this is the number one rated location in Skaneateles??
Especially when it is NOT EVEN IN Skaneateles. Like the address says, two miles west. on the 20/5 highway, right on the road. When you go to the Trip Advisor map and since they do not put in their address to let you know that they are NOT in Skaneateles; the map shows them downtown. They know this and are doing it intentionally. They continue to let people book based on it.
We booked for a trip via their website at their Boutique hotel, but when the confirmation came back, it was for the Skaneateles Suites. I tried to speak with Julie a week ahead of time and was given the run around when I wanted to try to change the reservation to one day. I mentioned in emails to her that I wanted to change from two to one days at the "Boutique and she said they had two day minimums for that weekend and could not and told me about cancellation fees. I spoke to Cliff, who I found out later was an owner, who said I had to speak with Julie, then spoke to Terry the next day who was nice but did not understand any of this and asked me to speak with Julie again.
We just decided to go for the two nights because they made the process so difficult and that we did not want cancellation fees. Again, I booked at the Boutique via their website and did not realize they confirmed the Suites, which was a VERY different property. When we arrived at the Boutique downtown, I met Julie and was told that we did not have a reservation there but were at the Suites that were not near the lake and were down the road for two miles.
We said cautiously okay as we felt we had been baited and switched. We got back in the car with our friends from out of town and headed out. We came about a building with a number of shacks by the road. They were a colorful yellow shack with green shutters, but did not have any windows on the front ( they are fake windows from the outside) and where 30 yards from the 20/5 highway. These are their suites that are rated a 5 star from reviewers. Above Mirbeau, The Sherwood Inn and other landmark Skaneateles hotels and inns. We spoke with Kiera at the desk who said that we were at the right place and that we have two of the Bungalows (Shacks) at the road side. We were very disappointed especially for $175.00 a night. We went to the rooms and saw a very sparse room with a double bed, not a King and not a Queen..a Double. The wallpaper was coming off in our room and the furniture was from the 80's. The bathrooms were new and updated. But this was in both rooms. We went back to Keira who said that they were Queen beds. Now I have travelled extensively around the world for the past 20 years for business staying in everything from Comfort Inn's and Super 8's to Four Seasons, Ritzs, Regencys... you get the idea. I think I know what a King, Queen and a Double is as I am 6'4". This place was no better than a Comfort Inn inside, two miles in the middle of farm land by County Rd 20/5. Keira argued for about 15 minutes that they were Queen size beds and they are not.
After much negotiating we agreed with the management to stay only one night there for $175 and no penalty for the second night as we would find another location with our out of town friends. We found the Old Stone Mill, owned by The Sherwood Inn, which was virtually the same price for two bedrooms for the 4 of us and downtown, with a view of the lake and were very happy.
The reason for the rating is I believe:
1) They are deceiving everyone since they do not put their actual address in and the mapping function puts them in Skaneateles as that is the city they state they are in. The mapping function does not no what two do with "2 Miles West" as the address, so it drops the pin in the heart of Skaneateles downtown on the lake
2) I booked online at one location and they confirmed another. Is there a chance that I booked wrong? Maybe...but right after booking on their system, I sent emails out to all and also mentioned to Julie that were where in the Boutique several times and she did not try to clarify it.
3) they did not have at least queen beds which I requested in the email and they confirmed. They were doubles in "Bungalow 3 and 5"
4) they were argumentative throughout the process and did not try to satisfy us until I made the recommendations
The only reason as I did not give one star:
1) We left sunglasses at a location and they sent us an email saying that they had found them, which was positive
2) the rooms, though the value was of a Comfort Inn or a Super 8, were clean
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Skaneateles Suites is a Collection of Places to Stay in Skaneateles, Finger Lakes Region of Central New York.The Bungalows at Skaneateles Suites: tranquil, sophisticated, and private. Our contemporary Suites have vaulted ceilings and sliding-glass doors onto private patios. The sitting area has a sofa and cable TV, and free WIFI. 1 Premium Queen bed with sleeper sofa ,or, 2 Double beds. Jacuzzi Rooms are available. Some are Pet Friendly for a fee. The Main House sleeps 8 in 4 bedrooms and is a favorite for groups or families. Also available is the Boutique Hotel in the Village Center as well as furnished Condos, apartments, houses and vacation rentals. Book on line at our webpage and Save! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Skaneateles Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skaneateles Hotel Skaneateles