“Not what it seems to be- Deceptive Map and Marketing” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save Only at Our Webpage
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Skaneateles
Rochester, New York
“Not what it seems to be- Deceptive Map and Marketing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

It is very difficult for me to believe that this is the number one rated location in Skaneateles??

Especially when it is NOT EVEN IN Skaneateles. Like the address says, two miles west. on the 20/5 highway, right on the road. When you go to the Trip Advisor map and since they do not put in their address to let you know that they are NOT in Skaneateles; the map shows them downtown. They know this and are doing it intentionally. They continue to let people book based on it.

We booked for a trip via their website at their Boutique hotel, but when the confirmation came back, it was for the Skaneateles Suites. I tried to speak with Julie a week ahead of time and was given the run around when I wanted to try to change the reservation to one day. I mentioned in emails to her that I wanted to change from two to one days at the "Boutique and she said they had two day minimums for that weekend and could not and told me about cancellation fees. I spoke to Cliff, who I found out later was an owner, who said I had to speak with Julie, then spoke to Terry the next day who was nice but did not understand any of this and asked me to speak with Julie again.

We just decided to go for the two nights because they made the process so difficult and that we did not want cancellation fees. Again, I booked at the Boutique via their website and did not realize they confirmed the Suites, which was a VERY different property. When we arrived at the Boutique downtown, I met Julie and was told that we did not have a reservation there but were at the Suites that were not near the lake and were down the road for two miles.

We said cautiously okay as we felt we had been baited and switched. We got back in the car with our friends from out of town and headed out. We came about a building with a number of shacks by the road. They were a colorful yellow shack with green shutters, but did not have any windows on the front ( they are fake windows from the outside) and where 30 yards from the 20/5 highway. These are their suites that are rated a 5 star from reviewers. Above Mirbeau, The Sherwood Inn and other landmark Skaneateles hotels and inns. We spoke with Kiera at the desk who said that we were at the right place and that we have two of the Bungalows (Shacks) at the road side. We were very disappointed especially for $175.00 a night. We went to the rooms and saw a very sparse room with a double bed, not a King and not a Queen..a Double. The wallpaper was coming off in our room and the furniture was from the 80's. The bathrooms were new and updated. But this was in both rooms. We went back to Keira who said that they were Queen beds. Now I have travelled extensively around the world for the past 20 years for business staying in everything from Comfort Inn's and Super 8's to Four Seasons, Ritzs, Regencys... you get the idea. I think I know what a King, Queen and a Double is as I am 6'4". This place was no better than a Comfort Inn inside, two miles in the middle of farm land by County Rd 20/5. Keira argued for about 15 minutes that they were Queen size beds and they are not.

After much negotiating we agreed with the management to stay only one night there for $175 and no penalty for the second night as we would find another location with our out of town friends. We found the Old Stone Mill, owned by The Sherwood Inn, which was virtually the same price for two bedrooms for the 4 of us and downtown, with a view of the lake and were very happy.

The reason for the rating is I believe:
1) They are deceiving everyone since they do not put their actual address in and the mapping function puts them in Skaneateles as that is the city they state they are in. The mapping function does not no what two do with "2 Miles West" as the address, so it drops the pin in the heart of Skaneateles downtown on the lake
2) I booked online at one location and they confirmed another. Is there a chance that I booked wrong? Maybe...but right after booking on their system, I sent emails out to all and also mentioned to Julie that were where in the Boutique several times and she did not try to clarify it.
3) they did not have at least queen beds which I requested in the email and they confirmed. They were doubles in "Bungalow 3 and 5"
4) they were argumentative throughout the process and did not try to satisfy us until I made the recommendations

The only reason as I did not give one star:
1) We left sunglasses at a location and they sent us an email saying that they had found them, which was positive
2) the rooms, though the value was of a Comfort Inn or a Super 8, were clean

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Tonicurtis1, Manager at Skaneateles Suites, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Dtone, Curt here from the Suites.

I am truly sorry you had such an experience. I didn't even need to look up your reservation history, I remember it well. (So do Julie and Kia and Terri). You may remember that I was the one who sent you several clarifying emails.

An explanation to all our travelers and future Guests: we encourage you to check our webpage for our description of being a "Collection of Places to Stay". We even have an email we send that says: "Do NOT Goggle us! Use the address we send you as we have multiple addresses and you will end up in the wrong place".

We actually had a meeting about this reservation before their arrival. The question was whether or not to just call him and cancel the entire reseravation in anticipation of trouble. We didn't and I suspect that was the wrong decision. Anyone wanting a longer explanation of this unpleasant story is free to email me directly. Suites Dreams and we hope to see you soon.

Curt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Ballston Spa, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here during September, which is considered the off season. It has very reasonable rates. The suite has a Jacuzzi style tub in the room and there are two large recliners to lounge in. The bathroom is large. The suite also has a small fridge and a microwave and some complimentary snacks. The tv is nice and the bed is super comfortable. I am definitely going to come here again. It is very close to downtown Skaneteateles and the lake is just lovely.

• Stayed September 2013
Stuart, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay if you're wanting to stay in the skaneateles area. The people that run this clean and nicely decorated property "get it" when it comes to providing a unique place to stay. They are passionate about what they are doing. Keep up the good work. We'll be back!!

• Stayed September 2013
Kerrville TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed two nights in the bungalow suite, and we were very pleased with everything! It is located in easy access to Syracuse, the finger lakes, Auburn, and Lake Ontario. The bungalow was very clean and roomy, and was set up with a small kitchen area and patio which made it even more comfortable. The Hilltop restaurant close by served an excellent breakfast and dinner, and the village of Skaneateles has some cute shops and places to eat. I would highly recommend it to those traveling in this area.

Room Tip: There are only 12 separate bungalows, so any one is quiet and nice!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed in one of the bungalows at Skaneateles Suites which is a short drive from the village center of Skaneateles. We stayed there as a central location while we visited various Finger Lake attractions ( Watkins Glen, Cornell University campus and Ornithology Lab, Montezuma Wildlife Sanctuary, Chimney Bluffs State Park, and William Seward House) and we were very pleased with our accommodations. The bungalow was clean, roomy, tastefully decorated and with nice snacks and breakfast items supplied. The wi-fi in our room was weak, but they sent me an e-mail saying they would be correcting this. I highly recommend this lodging.

Room Tip: Less road noise on the back row of bungalows.
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our suite was roomy, very comfortable and exceptionally clean. The decor was well done. The price was very reasonable for Skaneateles on a holiday weekend. The private patio is actually visible to people on the opposite site of the hotel. It was relaxing but not highly private. Our suite did not have a jacuzzi, although that did not matter to us. There was a gift basket for us, which was very generous and most welcome. We would love to go back.

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The Bungalow Suite, we stayed at during a recent visit to the Finger Lakes, located a couple of miles outside of Skaneateles, was roomy with a kitchenette and private patio. The unit we stayed in was located in the back where it was private and quiet. It was comfortable and clean and since we were travelling with our little dog they included a pet towel, cleanup supplies and treats for him! The pet towel came in handy for the rain showers that came through the area. There were even snacks and drinks for us and supplies for a quick breakfast! The staff was considerate and it is a good value for your dollar. The only negative thing is the WiFi is slow, OK for checking emails, but for serious use not so good. The router was probably located too far away from the suite.
So when visiting the Cayuga,Seneca Lakes wine country and Skaneateles area this is definitely the place to stay at! Hope to return soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Skaneateles Suites? Share your experiences!