“Warm,cozy relaxing quick getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Maison Blanche Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shelter Island
La Maison Blanche Hotel
11 Stearns Point Road, Shelter Island, NY 11965 (Formerly Olde Country Inn)   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Shelter Island
Nesconset, New York
“Warm,cozy relaxing quick getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I have many positive things to say about La Maison Blanche and only 2 negative things. The hotel is immaculate, the design is pottery barn-esque which is my style and the king room was spacious. There is also an iniviting laundry, clean smell thoughout the hotel. The hotel staff (2 ladies) were both personable and helpful. We ate at the restaurant. The food was AMAZING equivalent to many top restaurants we've dined at in NYC. I had the creamy ricotta with EVOO and crusty tuscan bread appetizer...omg. It was to die for..and quite unique. We both had steak cooked to perfection. My only negative was the service. But not the worst I've had. We waited at least 25-30 minutes to order dessert. The other only negative is the bed in room 6 is the hardest bed we have ever slept on!! Which says alot...we are traverlers. It actually hurt us both,, if you laid on your side to avoid the back pain, your hip or shoulder hurt from lying on the bed. Honestly, the staff should sleep on the bed for one night. It was extremely uncomfortable. We both LOVE firm beds and have at home but this felt like a bed of wood. It was disappointing because it doesn't match the quality of the hotel. Loved the bathrobes,slippers and bedding though. We also enjoyed bike riding...the complimentary bikes were brand new! Lastly, the morning we left I had the best croissant I ever had at their bakery. The hotel is worth $200 minus the hard bed but I cant see paying $495 the summer fee.

Room Tip: dont pick room 6 king bed. bed is hard as bricks.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We bought a voucher off of Living Social to stay at La Maison Blanche. They accommodated us during the weekday, in February. We loved it so much so we bought a weekend voucher to which they would NOT accommodate us unless we paid $100 upgrade fee per night even though I said we can stay any weekend for the next 8 weekends, just name the dates! The answer was No unless I was willing to pay hundreds more. Luckily, Living Social refunded our money and we won't be staying again. Be weary bc I was told many vouchers were purchased and I'm afraid you won't be accommodated.

• Stayed February 2013
Alistair M, Front Office Manager at La Maison Blanche Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us.
We are so pleased you enjoyed yourselves so much that you wanted to return. It's unfortunate we were unable to acommodate you.
The downside to our Living Social special being so popular is our inventory booked almost immediately. The upgrade fee of $100 quoted to you represented the Living Social Deluxe King room weekend rate, the only room we had available.
We do hope you will return in the future.
Kathleen Restrepo
Office manger
Mount Sinai, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our trip to Shelter Island was a Christmas gift. When we arrived at the door of this lovely inn, we were startled by the blaring music in the lobby. The woman behind the desk was preoccupied and asked for a credit card and ID almost in lieu of a greeting. She explained that she was working on preparing a menu for the dinner hour which was to start in 3 minutes. It seemed a frenetic and impersonal start to our visit. However, we understood that sometimes unexpected things happen.

After a moment she did become engaged with us and graciously walked us all the way to our room. The music from the lobby followed us up the stairs, as did other sounds in the common area, including the sound of a telephone ringing late at night. The hotel could definitely use some rugs or tapestries to absorb the sound -- or perhaps that's the price one pays for beautiful bare wood floors.

The music again became an issue at dinner when my husband and I asked the bartender/waitress if it might be turned down just a bit before we sat down, especially since we were the only ones in the dining room at that point. She insisted that the music was necessary in order to drown out the sound of pots and pans from the kitchen, even after I explained to her that I had a headache. It was an odd response that discounted our request. Eventually the music changed, and became tolerable. The menu was still not ready when we sat down.

We did finally order and found the mussels and flat-iron steaks superb, and a glass of wine made things better. However, when asked for more bread with our soup, the waitress/bartender again questioned the request, and suggested we should have bread later instead. We were mystified by her response -- perhaps they had not made enough bread? By the end of the meal, our server was the receptionist from the front lobby. We were happy to have her service.

Our room was clean and recently remodeled, the bed comfortable with quality linens, and the level of amenities was impressive. However, the room got very hot at a certain point. Searching for the thermostat at midnight, we discovered it had been set beyond 80. At 8:15 am we were suddenly awakened by a ruckus of moving furniture and scrubbing of floors that seemed to come from just beyond our wall and lasted for about 30 minutes. We found ourselves pounding on the wall to communicate our presence.

This hotel really has a lot of potential, but it needs some sound insulation. And the night wait staff could benefit from hospitality training.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I know Shelter Island is mostly frequented during the summer but my boyfriend and I wanted a quick getaway from the city....LivingSocial was offering a discount (although it started the day after we would be going) it looked so cute we decided to give it a go regardless.

It was freezing the days we went so we did not take walks or anything of the sort...instead we drove around the island to see the beautiful homes, visit antique stores and have a bite at the little cafe. We decided to have dinner at La Maison Blanche that night to just stay in by the fire, play some scrabble and drink some wine. The only reason I give this place 4 stars was our dinner experience.

We stayed Sunday-Monday (which was President's day) so we made dinner reservations for 7:30pm. I don't think they were prepared for a full night of diners because we waited an hour to be seated (it was totally fine, we were relaxing, having drinks..) We sat in the back dining space which was a tad bit cold, many people were eating with coats on, but nevertheless happy to start eating because we were STARVING. I noticed the only people working in the restaurant were the bartender and one other server, so they were spread pretty thin. I used to work in the service industry so I can relate to this scenario and know that to give attitude in that instance does not make anything easier for anyone (the table next to us were not happy but I think our server handled them very diplomatically).

Our waitress came over as soon as she could, told us they were out of the fish and chicken but had scallops available to substitute the fish entree. There went my fish order and my back up order of chicken. I ordered the scallops, a few minutes later she came back and profusely apologized that they had run out of the scallops as well! My only choice was steak or pasta.....luckily I'm not a picky eater so although I didn't originally intend on eating meat, I went with the steak. Our food was really delicious, our waitress who was also the bartender was wonderful. Although they seemed to be dealing with some bumps in the kitchen, she went out of her way to make sure we were ok, our wine glasses filled and felt overall taken care of.

The rooms were really beautiful, super comfortable, the staff were really attentive and gave us a really amazing recommendation of a winery to go have wine tastings on the North Fork (Marabella).

I'm sure this place is probably really busy in the summer but I would love to go back! I highly recommend this gem. Thank you for everything!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
loucaz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at Le Maison Blanche. I only went for the night (a girl’s night) and it was a rainy one, so having a cozy place to retreat to was great. Not having to search for a place to have dinner was a plus as we had dinner at the hotel’s restaurant. The food was AMAZING which only enhanced our experience. The room was so nice and romantic we were sorry we didn’t come with our boys instead of with each other, but it was still very nice to get away from the city and relax.

We were in the king suite which is great for if you are travelling as a family.

The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. I will definitely visit again! Hopefully I can make a trip out in the summer time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My girllfriend and I spent a great weekend in this romantic hotel.
It is well decorated and charming.
The French restaurant is a little bit expensive but really good and similar to what you would get in France. We had breakfast and dinner then.
The staff very nice.
We also liked the free wifi, free bikes and free parking

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Great Neck, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I needed some timeout from life to recharge our batteries. We received a travelzoo promotion and decided the price was right. I had never been to Shelter Island and wanted to check it out. The hotel was elegant but fairly low keyed. The staff was very warm and friendly. Our room was tranquil, clean and equipped with everything we needed. We especially appreciated the wifi availability. In the evening we walked to the local beach,not far from the inn and then came back to have some beers and to relax in the lounge. The next day we used their bicycles for a few hour tour of the island. We really appreciated the free use of the bikes but they can use some refurbishing. The day was perfect. Because it was off season the ferry was quick and easy and we felt like the island was all ours. I am sure the scene is different in the summer. We would definitely go back and recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Maison Blanche Hotel? Share your experiences!