“wonderful stay, easily accessible mini vacation from Manhattan!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Maison Blanche Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shelter Island
La Maison Blanche Hotel
You added La Maison Blanche Hotel to your Saves list
11 Stearns Point Road, Shelter Island, NY 11965 (Formerly Olde Country Inn)   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Shelter Island
New York City, New York
“wonderful stay, easily accessible mini vacation from Manhattan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Came here with a friend for a brief respite from city life- and it was! Wonderful hotel, very quiet and yet lively in the common areas when you want it to be (ie for eve cocktails etc), they have a pool which was a surprise for a smaller B&B and numerous luxurious touches (ex: music tuned into your room, etc), great toiletries, and a hotel owner/ manager who actually takes care to introduce himself to his guests. Very close to the beach, free bikes to use, and close to Sunset Beach for sundowners etc. Will be back!

Room Tip: pay a little more for the upstairs king bed if you can- well worth it
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
LaMaisonBlancheHotel, Owner at La Maison Blanche Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear JetsetMaya,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the property and our amenities.

I look foward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

Alistair MacLean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Since Maison Blanche came under new ownership and was reviewed favorably in the Times, I had wanted to stay there. Shelter Island is the most beautiful place but hotel options are somewhat limited. Maison Blanche is fresher and cleaner than some of the other hotels on the island. It is a welcome addition, and worth considering even if you will spend most of your time off island.

I chose Maison Blanche for a weekend away with my girlfriend to ask her to marry me. Be aware that they do have a two night minimum on many dates (like most other hotels in the area); she knew this, and was suspicious when I fibbed to her that we were staying for one night. However, when I called ahead, the staff was fantastic and willing to help me preserve the surprise. They even provided me with a receipt for a one night stay when we checked in.

The hotel grounds are kept in very nice condition and are well landscaped. The petanque courts in front of the hotel are quirky and nice touch. Very pretty at night with the long strings of large bulbs lighting the area. In the mornings, they have a tiny boulangerie with excellent coffee and pastries by the lobby. The hotel's front door was propped open invitingly during our stay, and it was such a great change of speed to wander downstairs with your complimentary Times, take a cup of coffee and a croque monsieur and settle into rocking chairs on the porch. Sure beats getting ready for work.

We stayed in Room 8, which is large, and has an equally large bathroom. The room was clean and in great condition. My girlfriend loved the soft rugs, and I loved the wide plank hardwood floor, particularly in the bathroom. The aesthetic was clean and simple, which I liked. Plenty of windows to let light and breezes in. I asked the staff when booking about which room they recommended, and they had told me that if we were looking to go to bed early, we might be bothered by hearing the music from the bar and restaurant directly downstairs. I did not find it to be an issue, but someone who likes absolute silence might be better suited with another room. My constructive criticisms: The room had only one robe instead of two (but two pairs of slippers); I would like it if they stocked bathrooms with four large towels instead of two; and the marble-topped bedside tables had chunks of stone missing from the edges in places. None of these things interfered with our use and enjoyment of the room, however.

The hotel offers complimentary bicycles which every guest should use (or bring your own). Shelter Island is so quiet that you can bike past beautiful houses and beaches mostly undisturbed by cars. Bike down the hill along Sunset Beach or across the island through Dering Harbor to Ram's Head.

The hotel is not inexpensive, yet it still feels like you are getting a value because of the understated luxury of the property, the relaxing setting, and the friendly and responsive staff. They did not charge me for a broken water glass, and seemed genuinely happy for us when my girlfriend said yes.

Maison Blanche is now my favorite place to stay on Shelter Island and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CSMB,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a reivew from your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the property as well as our award winning restaurant and all the other amenities that we offer.

I have duly noted your comments with regards to the room and will look into them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

Trying to decide where to stay in The Hamptons we stumbled on this. What a beautiful place!! We had dinner at thd restaurant twice & had beautiful meals both nights. The service at La Maison was fantastic. Well done

• Stayed May 2012
LaMaisonBlancheHotel, Owner at La Maison Blanche Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear downthetrack,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed both the hotel and our award winning restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Great deal on Lot 18-love Shelter Island-great to have bikes for use-dinner lovely-winery was perfect
Rooms lovely
Need at least coffee in AM included
thank you for a great BDay celebration

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear afornari,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as all our amenities.

I have noted your comments with regards to coffee and we will be offering some promotions in the low season with breakfast included.

I look foward to welcoming you back very soon and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Enjoyed the weekend...great price with Lot 18 promotion...too much $$$ during the season...friendly staff...pretty setting...good food...NEEDS breakfast included!!!! Had fun!

Dear brhsaa,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and also pleased to read that you enjoyed our award winning restaurant.

I have noted your comments with regards to breakfast and we will be running some promotions in the low season that will include breakfast.

Riverhead, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Me and my girlfriend decided to have a little getaway (our first together) so we stayed at the hotel from a Friday night to Sunday over a weekend in April. I had booked room 5 using their website. But when we arrived they placed us in room 10. When I told the woman about booking room 5, I was informed that they had recently switched booking programs and that the room I had booked had actually been booked two weeks prior even though it listed it as available on their website when I booked. All the other rooms were apparently booked.

She was very apologetic and offered to comp two drinks for us.

Room 10 while being bigger than room 5 was located on the first floor right next to the entrance/restaurant/main desk. We were a little worried about the noise as you could hear the people talking both on their front porch and at the main desk. Another problem is that the petanque/bocci ball courts are located right outside our windows so that added to the noise especially during the day.

When we turned on the TV, we noticed the picture color was off and the sound was terrible. We informed them about the the TV the next day and they were able to fix it while we were out for the day.

There also felt like a dried up stain on the comforter, which I kept rubbing against when I laid on the bed. I did not feel it the next day after housekeeping cleaned the room. We did not get any bathrobes or slippers. And there was no actual mini bar in our room. Instead they just had the snacks and drinks placed on the dresser. The a/c in the room I don't believe was working properly either. We had it on high and all the way to cool, but it barely pushed any air out and it was hardly cold. The thermostat in the bathroom read 80 degrees the whole time we were there. Even with the door open most of the time.

There were definitely positives. The room was spacious. It was not nearly as noisy as we thought. We were able to sleep in both days no problem. The restaurant was good as well as the bakery. The staff was very friendly. They really did their best to fix our TV quickly and were apologetic the whole time. The room had a huge dresser which was nice to put our clothes in. The WiFi worked well. The bathroom was nice. Our bed was VERY firm, which I liked. (but some might not) The ceiling fan was nice.

Overall I expected more for the money. I expected the attention to detail to be better. I would stay there again. Probably in the off-season again. It didn't ruin our getaway by any means. But it had a few too many problems for my liking.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
LaMaisonBlancheHotel, Owner at La Maison Blanche Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Dear Shane S,

I was disappointed to read that we did not live up to your expectations and I apologize for the problems you had initially with your room allocation.

We have since added a full mini bar to the room that you were in and given that you were with us in April we did not have the air conditioning in the building yet for the season.

It seems from reading your review that the main problem started when you did not get the room that you had reserved and then it was a culmination of small details from then on. So on that note, you mentioned that you would return again so I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our King Deluxe rooms given the problems you had on your previous visit. I can assure you that you will not experience the same problems.

I do hope that you will give us another chance and once again you can be rest assured that you will not experience the same problems that you had previously.

Please feel free to reach out directly to me at the hotel and I will personally take care of your reservation.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

27east
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed at La Maison Blanche and made the reservation through Lot18 which is a high end wine site. I have been going to SI for thirty five years and was thrilled to be staying somewhere new. We arrived at dinner time on a Friday night. We were shown to our room which was not part of the main house. It was a small carriage house located in the back (it actually looks like a converted barn). We had to carry our bags as the there was no grass, just dirt and very sparse landscaping. As we entered the room it took my breath away and not in a good way. It was the smallest room I have ever been in and we are seasoned travelers. There was no place to put our suitcase, two small windows and neither had a view, no chair to sit on, no dresser, eighteen inches between my side of the bed and the wall and a six dollar bottle of Cava in the ice bucket. The hotel does not mention anywhere on their website that you might be staying any place other than the main house. I would suggest if you want to stay here to ask to see an exact picture of the room you will stay in, yes they may be decorated the same but the sizes are different. We went back across the dirt to ask if they had any larger rooms available and they did not. We go back to our room and I decide to take a shower, no hot water. Kate was kind to let us know they were out of propane but the truck would be there within forty five minutes. So we decide to turn it early and go to sleep and the truck shows up and for thirty minutes we listened to the fuel being pumped in. The next morning we get up early and go to the bakery they have on site. Compared to other reviewers our coffee was not good, it tasted burned. At his point we decide to pack it in and leave. We left our key at the front desk and departed. So we lost out on a meal and another night’s stay, but we just could not spend another night in a room so small and not part of the main house.
Shelter Island is beautiful and this hotel is very pretty and clean and we so wished we had a different experience especially since we were celebrating our anniversary.

Room Tip: Ask to see a picture of your room and also ask which building you will be in.
Dear 27East,

Firstly I apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay which I can assure you is not a normal occurrence with us.

Unfortunately I missed you when you did decide to check out but I did reach out to you and left you a message on your cellphone with my contact details so that I could try and rectify the situation but unfortunately I did not hear back from you. I also followed up directly with Lot18 so that they could follow up with you as well.

We pride ourselves on the service we provide our guests and although the promotion that we ran with Lot18 is no longer running I would like to invite you back so you are able to use the 2nd night of your stay along with your dinner. I would be delighted to offer an upgrade to a King Suite for this stay. As you can imagine things are getting very busy as we are now in season so it is subject to availability.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel and I will take care of your reservations.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and putting this experience behind us.

Alistair MacLean

Been to La Maison Blanche Hotel? Share your experiences!