“First trip to Shelter Island” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Petite Maison

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shelter Island
La Petite Maison
You added La Petite Maison to your Saves list
31 West Neck Road, Shelter Island, NY 11965   |
Centerport, New York, United States
“First trip to Shelter Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Though residents of Suffolk County, this was our first trip to Shelter Island. Pretty island which reminds us of Martha's Vineyard, though much smaller.La Petite Maison was a nice B&B and Franz the innkeeper was very hospitable. Room was nice (though we believe we were supposed to have a upstairs room/porch) clean, and the complementary bottle of wine was a nice touch. Franz offered us bikes, towels, and beach chairs at no added cost and a complimentary breakfast of coffee and croissants .All at a reasonable price. Would highly recommend for a quick getaway weekend.
- Bruce and Diane

Room Tip: ask and you will get
Jeanne M, Owner at La Petite Maison, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
We are happy to have been your first "welcome" to our beautiful island, and are happy to hear that you had a nice stay at La Petite Maison. Thank you.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I really wish I could say all positive things about Le Petite Maison. After all, the house itself is charming, rustic, and beautifully refinished. It is well-furnished and the amenities are superb. Since the place just opened last year, everything looks and feels brand new.

Looking for a relaxing weekend getaway, my boyfriend purchased a groupon for a two-night weekend stay. Since we don't typically like going through deal sites for this type of thing, he called ahead to check availability and book the room for that weekend prior to purchasing. This way, we thought that we could avoid any potential hiccups in our romantic getaway.

Boy, were we wrong. Thirty minutes before we planned on departing for Shelter Island, we received a call from the owners of the b&b. They had accidentally double-booked the room for that weekend, so they informed us that unfortunately, the room we had booked was not available. Apparently, they didn't even realize that they had double booked the room until the other couple showed up to check in!

They offered us a stay in the b&b for that night only and a room in her sister-in-law's house for the next night.

I was appalled that they were telling us so last minute that our lodging was unavailable. It was, after all,the day we were scheduled to stay there. We already had everything booked and our bags packed, so we still wanted to go somewhere for the weekend.

However, I felt apprehensive about the second night and staying somewhere we knew absolutely nothing about. They assured us that the room had its own separate bedroom and bathroom and its own private entrance, but since we weren't going to get a refund or discount off the original rate we paid, I wanted to make sure we were staying somewhere comparable to what we had originally expected. Wanting to better understand what this meant and what we were getting ourselves into, we requested pictures of the other room that we would be staying in. I thought this was a reasonable request and the least they could do.

Instead of obliging to our request, one of the owners, Franz, became very agitated and started yelling at me on the phone. I was rather taken aback but remained calm. I did understand that he had built the annex to the house himself, so he was very proud of the room. They suggested that we could either drive out to shelter island (a 3+ hour drive in traffic) or they could take pictures later that evening (they did not have a specific timeframe and I suspected that by the time we viewed the pictures it would be way too late to get all the way out to the island). He was so adamant that he bet me $10 that I would like the second room. For some reason, even though we were clearly not in the wrong, I ended up apologizing to calm down him down.

There really were two options: to go and accept whatever we were offered or not to go and get our money back from groupon. After discussing, we decided that we should still go. Regardless of whatever situation we might be in when we arrived at Shelter Island, at least we would be together.

The first night at the b&b was fantastic and we immensely enjoyed our stay. Franz and Jeanne were nicer in person, but I suspect only because we had been so amenable despite the last minute issues that had come up. Unfortunately, Franz does owe me $10 for room the second night. My biggest complaint was that the room smelled heavily of smoke and it was much smaller (we were given the smaller room rather than the bigger one next door). While the room was clean, it definitely was not as nice as what we initially paid for.

The main reason I am writing this review is because we overheard Franz on the phone offering the same deal (one night in Le Petite Maison and another in his sister's home) to another customer. I don't think that they were malicious and I believe that they actually did mistakenly have issues with double booking. Either way, they definitely messed up with more than just us. I caution against booking with the groupon since they definitely don't seem to treat those customers with the same regard. I also think they were a little difficult to work with.

Overall we made the best of the situation. I'm still happy we went to shelter island, but wish we could've done so under less stressful circumstances.

• Stayed June 2013
Jeanne M, Owner at La Petite Maison, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We are sorry for your experience staying here and apologize for the double booking on that weekend. It was an honest mistake, that does happen every now and then in hotels. Other people are calling in with Groupon vouchers, and when we cannot accommodate them in our hotel on specific days because our Groupon allocations are filled up (due to the enormous response we got), we are happy to offer them the alternate location. It is their decision to take the offer, or get a refund from Groupon. That is what you heard on the phone that day.
On the first night that you stayed with us we upgraded you to our Penthouse which sells for $675 per night on weekends, in the hopes that it would compensate for your having to go to the alternate location on the second night. We did our best and thought you would be happy with the solution, and express our sincere apologies to you for not achieving that.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Like those who posted before, I also bought a groupon. I called to make a reservation and the man that I spoke to (Francois?) said they were no longer offering groupon deals but could offer me the penthouse for only an additional $225 total. I was irritated, but thought to my self an additional 225 that's it, ok I will take it. I had to call back a few minutes later because I made a mistake with the dates. I asked to change it, he said it was very busy now and to call him back after 2:30pm. So I did, 10x, finally he picked up, said ok we can do those dates for a smaller room but still at the extra 225. I said fine, what about my confirmation #, he said you don't need one, you are all set. Never told me when check in was, or check out etc...I had to ask and he really seemed like he just wanted to get off the phone. I thought the entire exeperience was shady, who doesn't provide confirmation numbers these days. During the time I called 10x, i had emailed as well to ask for the change in dates, offering 2 different weekends. Yesterday, I received an email telling me they can offer the penthouse for the other date I asked for, for additional 100 per night. Don't these people talk to eachother? And now additional 100 per night, not 225 total for the 3 nights? Jeanne asked that I call and not confirm in an email. Shouldn't she call me? I left my number and stated in the email how difficult it was to get through. Already irritated, I called and she said there was no change in reservation made when I explained I already spoke to her colleague to make the change in dates. She tried to offer me a different date that I was willing to do in the email, but the experience was so horrific, she told me it was a very bad time to call. I couldn't deal with her horrible customer service I was receiving, I just cancelled the reservation all together. Don't bother calling this place, they don't pick up and will just add more money to the groupon.

Jeanne M, Owner at La Petite Maison, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
We are sorry if you had an unhappy experience trying to make a reservation. It was a very difficult time for us to accommodate incoming calls, as the response was so overwhelming. We have only one phone line, and the phone calls were coming in every minute .. sometimes 3 or 4 additional while we were on just one phone call trying to write up a reservation. The deal was phenomenal and people knew it; hence, the long waiting time to get through. Unfortunately, we were unable to efficiently respond to the huge numbers of voice mail, and had to shut it off temporarily. We apologize that the deal became so popular so as to make it difficult to get a reservation. Only a couple of rooms per day were allocated to the promotion, and we were not able to fulfill everyone's wishes. Prices of upgrading were changing according to room types and availability; however, we were still giving discounted rates to clients who already purchased a voucher. Groupon suggests to its customers that they confirm availability before purchasing a voucher, to avoid unhappy situations as you have experienced. Please accept our apologies for any misunderstandings. Hopefully you will give us a second chance, to see that we do not treat our customers rudely, and have pride in our hospitality that we extend since twenty years of innkeeping here on Shelter Island.
East Meadow, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I bought a groupon voucher and the owner played games to not redeem it. Called about six times and was always told to call back. The last call they said that the room was not available anymore. Emailed four times with the groupon number and never got a response.

Here's the deal. The owners signed up for these groupon deals with no intention of redeeming them because they know that during their busy season they can book rooms without discounts. They beat around the bush until finally saying that the room is not available. I feel played and screwed around with. All I have to say is what goes around comes around.

I don't care if this was a five star hotel. I would never stay in a place that does business like this and you shouldn't either.

Jeanne M, Owner at La Petite Maison, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
We are very sorry for your experience trying to book a room with your Groupon coupon. We had such an overwhelming response that it was difficult for us to handle the numerous calls and emails, as we are such a small operation. This Groupon promotion was definitely not a scam which can be confirmed with Groupon. They, as well as we, were surprised to see the response to our promotion and even called us about it. Unfortunately after booking over a hundred reservations in just the first couple of days, probably more, we were running out of room availability and began offering other dates and other rooms (that were not Groupon allocated) at an upcharge but would still be a discounted rate for Groupon clients. The other option was to get a retund from Groupon. Some people, including yourself, were not very pleased with the alternative offers, and we can only sincerely apologize for it. We are new at promotional advertising and have learned from our first endeavor. The hundred plus Groupon clients who already stayed last month have been very pleased with our little inn and our hospitality. Perhaps you will give us another try in the future.
Central Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I was a little nervous about how lucky my husband and I got when I booked this hotel- we booked it about 2 weeks before we wanted to travel, and being there are such limited hotels on Shelter Island, to see one with rooms available so close to the travel date, I had my guard up.

When we arrived, we called the innkeeper (per the sign in the reception area), waited for about 5/10 minutes, she arrived. Checked us in smoothly, gave us a run down of what to expect - everything complimentary - bottle of choice of wine upon arrival, danishes/croissants every morning (so cute - they were personalized bags for each guest, which gave it that extra special personal touch you don't see in many places anymore), self serve coffee all day, and mountain bikes and helmets.

The photos on TripAdvisor are totally accurate. We were in room 2 - right on the ground level with a perfect patio, lots of windows that helped bring in a great breeze at night, comfortable plush bedding, soft towels, beautiful, fresh, clean space.

The bikes were a great addition to our stay, too! My husband and I love bike riding and being able to bike 5-10 minutes to the Shelter Island Ferry, a few minutes to Sunset Beach, etc really made our stay...great & unique amenity!

Room Tip: Like I said, we stayed in room 2 - great little patio. I spent a lot of time on the patio laying in...
Jeanne M, Owner at La Petite Maison, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We enjoyed having you as our guest, and are happy to hear that you had such a pleasant time at our hotel. We hope to see you again.
Ny, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

La Petite Maison is a great place to stay on Shelter Island. The rooms are very comfortable, clean, and have some nice special touches such as jacuzzi tub, flat screen tv, small refrigerator, and private porch. There is parking onsite, and the b&b is conveniently located. The innkeepers are friendly and accommodating. The b&b has bicycles and shuttle service to the beach. I would recommend visiting the nature preserve, crescent beach, ram island, a shelter island kayak tour, and bike riding around the island (just map your ride as there are some very hilly areas). The innkeepers recommended a nice bike ride near the b&b that went along the water and past some beautiful homes. I would definitely stay at la petite Maison again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jeanne M, Owner at La Petite Maison, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. It is our pleasure to offer our services to all of our guests, to give them a memorable experience here at La Petite Maison. We are looking forward to extend our hospitality to you in the future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I came to celebrate our 6th anniversary at LPM with a Groupon deal. Here are some highlights:
* Franz, the innkeeper, was very accommodating. He happily shuttled us from the inn to the beach and back. He also helped us get whatever we needed (from beach towels to a hairdryer). He seemed warm and friendly, and was only a phone call away (the innkeepers live close by).
* The room (#2) was a good size, with a nice porch overlooking the chess board. We were originally in room #4, but although it was just as nice, did not have the porch that our Groupon included. Franz correct this mistake quickly and moved us to #2 which was more spacious.
* The room included a bottle of wine, a bowl of snacks (chips and crackers) and a fridge with complimentary snacks. It was a lovely touch! I loved the comfortable beds and fluffy white towels. The ensuite bathroom was a good size as well, and had an amazing jacuzzi tub. There was a flatscreen TV with cable, and the room had a remote controlled ceiling fan & A/C.
* This definitely felt more like a hotel than a B&B since we had a private space all to ourselves (my husband preferred that). Also, everything felt very clean and new.
* The location of the inn was great, not too far from Crescent Beach and some very nice restaurants.
Here are things I took a star off for:
* The walls are unfortunately thin and I could hear our neighbors snoring at night (thankfully I brought ear plugs). Also, the inn is close to one of the main roads, so it can be noisy for some rooms (our room was not too bad).
* If by hearing a "continental breakfast" you are expecting a varied spread of different pastries, fruits, and other breakfast items, think again. This was a paper bag filled with croissants, left at the reception table (where you can also get 24/7 tea/coffee/hot chocolate/ice). This was fine by me (the croissants were delicious) but I was expecting more variety and possibly something healthier (like granola and yogurt).
Overall, I had a nice time here and would stay again if there was another Groupon deal. Thanks LPM for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room with a porch, it is worth it!
Jeanne M, Owner at La Petite Maison, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing La Petite Maison for you anniversary celebration. We are so happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay here, and appreciate your comments, both the positive ones and the criticisms. We are taking measures to correct the noise problem between the two rooms, and are adding extra sound insulation. We are looking forward to offering you our hospitality in the future.

Been to La Petite Maison? Share your experiences!