We stayed at the Pridwin for four days, simply because it is one of the few locations in Shelter island on the water . We had a water view room on the 3rd floor - no elevators!! With that said, you should be aware of a few things and BEWARE of one thing in particular.
1) The hotel is outdated and not in particularly good shape. Carpets are worn and dirty. The ceilings and walls are in need of paint. The light switches and electrical receptacles are quite old and should be replaced.
2) The mattress was in need of replacement and the pillows were on the hard side.
3) The bathroom in our water view room was renovated and in good shape. The shower was excellent, though the towels were quite small.
4) The hotel does not employ a bellman or front desk person to assist with the luggage. You are on your own.
5) The people at the desk know very little about the island for the most part and won't provide you with information about the beaches, the restaurants etc. By way of example, the beaches require a special Parking Permit. Failure to use the permit which costs $35 for a week will result in a $100 ticket. We found out the hard way that this permit is offered at many hotels and bed and breakfasts, as well as the town clerk's office. They didn't even advise of the time for breakfast or where it was served or give us any information about the fishing boats on the island.
6) The breakfast - decent. Fruit/eggs/bacon or sausage. All fine - not creative but certainly acceptable.
7) The beach - directly across the road and very, very small.......
And now to the real issue -- The hotel has a barbecue (hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, etc for $35 pp) and a band on Wednesday evenings. Great if you didn't have a room at this hotel. You can listen to music and then go to your nice Quiet hotel or home. Not so if you're staying at the Pridwin though. The crowd (21years - 40+) mulls around on the outside deck drinking, yelling, etc. The music goes on until 12:30 AM or 1 AM. The entire scene is all so loud, it is basically impossible to sleep.
And so, if you want a quiet hotel - not the Pridwin on Wednesdays. If you want information about Shelter Island bring a guide book. If you want a well kept hotel - modify your expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pridwin Hotel is an iconic Shelter Island hotel on Crescent Beach, Shelter Island. With 40 rooms, 9 cottages, private pool, beach, docks for boating and a restaurant and bar overlooking the bay, the Pridwin is a small resort with many amenities for a relaxing escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Pridwin Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pridwin Shelter Island
- Pridwin Hotel Shelter Island