“Great weekend at the Pridwin” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Pridwin Hotel

You added The Pridwin Hotel to your Saves list
The Pridwin Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Shore Road, Crescent Beach, Shelter Island, NY 11964   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Shelter Island
New York City
“Great weekend at the Pridwin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

We stayed at the Pridwin with another couple for July 4 weekend and had a great time. My expectations were low after reading some of the reviews on this site but I found the staff and grounds to be a pleasant surprise. The views and amenities (tennis, kayaking, pool) were excellent. Our waterview room had a renovated bathroom (a plus) but was very small (a minus). I'd recommend a corner room on the second or third floors, even if the bathroom isn't renovated. The rooms are a bit overpriced but less so than the Sunset Beach, which is just down the road. I'd definitely recommend this hotel for a relaxing weekend outside of the city.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Riverdale, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We booked our room to attend a wedding being held there. We had to book for a minimum of 2 nights although we were only staying for one. I was told if there were vacancies, I would only have to book for one night. Upon arriving, I reminded the desk clerk of the situation. She told me I had booked with her and denied ever saying I could pay for only 1 night. After a little banter, I just paid and went to my room. The wedding reception was fabulous but the hotel itself would not be on my list of "places to recommend" as far as vacationing. The staff was less than friendly and my room was extremely damp. You actually had to make a "special" request to get a bathmat and flushing the toilet was a fifteen minute project in itself. Shelter Island is lovely but I would not recommend the Pridwin to my worst enemy.

• Stayed June 2009
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

The location of the Pridwin Hotel is spectacular. The hotel is nestled into a hill above the water with direct sunset views from many rooms as well as the large front deck that is part of the restaurant. Shelter Island is a mellow, Un-Hamptons place and the Pridwin Hotel reflects this: the hotel is a little sleepy and some rooms need updating (others are renovated - ask for a newer room, definitely get water-view!). That said, the place is still a deal! Many free amenities - bikes for exploring the island, sunfish, kayaks and other water-toys, tennis, pool, and small beach. Free wi-fi in the lobby/common area. Can't beat it for an affordable weekend on the island.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

You can't beat the value of this campy-cool hotel right on the water. A short walk from the hottest place on the Island (Sunset Beach) without the noise and for half the price! We enjoyed the pool-side cocktails and low-key vibe.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Huntington, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

My family and I just spent this past weekend in one of the cottages at the Pridwin and well we found it to be way too expensive for the accommodations that they provided. The first thing you realize is a strong dampness in the room with a strong mildewy order. The decor was very outdated alla 70"s early 80's wood paneling style. The beds were uncomfortable. Cleanliness was another factor. The carpeted floor was so dirty, my daughters socks were filthy from walking on it. Also found it was strange that the houskeeping staff only came in the morning to give fresh towels but did not come in to clean and straighten up. We were sticker shocked when we got the bill for 2 days we spent close to $600. Not worth the money spent!!!
It's a shame because the property is on a very scenic spot on Shelter Island, and I guess at one point in time it must have been a very classy place.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pridwin, office manager at The Pridwin Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2009
Dear Mathana,

Our apologies for your bad experience. It is unclear which cottage you entered, but dampness was an issue in some of our cottages at the end of last season. As a result we are replacing the carpets in a number of the cottages. It is true that housekeeping cleans each room once a day and we do not have turn-down service.

We feel that our rooms and cottages are fairly priced for Shelter Island and the area. I would be happy to discuss any issues you may have if you wish to call our office.

Sincerely
Nichole Thomas
MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

Based on the other reviews, we were expecting the "Bates Motel". Yes, the hallways are dingy and there is a slight smell of mildew, however, the room had two new large windows (three including the bathroom) and the breezes were beautiful.

The room and bathroom were small but clean. The bed had a nice white down comforter (not a 1970's bedspread with flowers).

The bath towels were thin but the beach towels were nice. The pool and beach were nice. The views are amazing and there is a large deck where you can sit back, relax, have a drink and watch the sunset. There is also an extensive lawn with chairs.

Food was average and service was mostly good.

If you have problems carrying your luggage, book the first floor. There are alot of stairs and the staircases are very narrow.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

This old fashioned hotel has stunning views of the Peconic Bay and is situated on beautiful Shelter Island. We have been going for several years but can no longer tolerate the absolute indifference of the staff, particularly in the restaurant. The food is great but each year brings another crew of dirty, non-caring, rude waiters and waitresses. It is as if they don't want you to be there. I cannot recommend this hotel. Just stop by an evening for a drink on the deck and then head some place else.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pridwin, front office manager at The Pridwin Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2009
I am very sorry and, frankly, surprised to hear your disappointment with our staff, who usually earn us our greatest compliments (along with the views, which we thank you for noting). We have a core team who return every year to our seasonal hotel, but the majority of service staff in the dining room and at the front desk are visiting staff who come mostly from the UK and are exceedingly friendly and polite. Very sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Please feel free to call me if you would like to discuss the matter further.

Nichole Thomas
Pridwin Office Manager

Been to The Pridwin Hotel? Share your experiences!