We booked 2 nights at the Pridwin for a girls weekend to get away from NYC. Booking of the hotel is done via the phone & when we booked we informed them we'd be traveling after work on the Friday night, however this was not written down on our booking as when we came to check in at 10.30pm, my friends who checked us in (I waited outside with the car) were told the hotel assumed we weren't coming & would of given our rooms away has people arrived looking for a room. Add to this it took the hotel over 20mins to check us in & they were quite abrupt with my friends because check in should of been closed (in their eyes).
The lobby is decorated in an old style Hampton/beach style which is really nice, however the rooms are looking tired & in need of renovation with dated sheets, furniture etc. that said, the bed was very comfy. also, when you're paying $370 a night for a room you'd expect glasses, bottle opener, mini fridge in room. We'd brought some beverages & had to go down to the bar & ask for bottle opener to take to room, open bottle then bring back down because they only had the 1 opener.
Breakfast is decent, the water activities are great fun & we spent our whole time on the beach to keep away from the hoards of kids & as we enjoyed the sound of the waves.
Overall whilst the trip was enjoyable there are 2 issues with the hotel that would make me second guess to stay again:
1) the staff are mainly college kids, and part of me thinks that's great because I also had a job like that at college over the summer (years ago), the attention to detail of said college kids was not that great. Classic case in point - on the Saturday afternoon we went to reception & asked if we could get a late checkout on the Sunday. We had the ring the bell several times & saw through the window several staff hanging around chatting. One young man came out, looked up our booking, said no problem & quickly disappeared. I noticed he never wrote anything down so on the Sunday morning on our way to breakfast we doubled checked and were told no such request had been put onto our booking. Lucky for us we did check & confirm.
2) the Saturday night there was a private function taking up the whole restaurant & bar resulting in them being shut. Signs for this event only went up late afternoon informing guests & we were never told at check in we'd need to find alternative dining. We'd initially planned to eat in hotel so we could drink & not have to drive (because hotel is quite remote) however we'd come across the sunset beach restaurant 15min walk away & had decided to eat there. Other guests clearly had planned to eat at hotel & when we were going to dinner we saw some very heated arguments between guests & the staff.
Overall the hotel is fine for a weekend getaway however the rooms need some TLC & the staff need to be more on the ball when it comes to customer service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pridwin Hotel is an iconic Shelter Island hotel on Crescent Beach, Shelter Island. With 40 rooms, 9 cottages, private pool, beach, docks for boating and a restaurant and bar overlooking the bay, the Pridwin is a small resort with many amenities for a relaxing escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your The Pridwin Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pridwin Shelter Island
- Pridwin Hotel Shelter Island