“Average at the Pridwin” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Pridwin Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Pridwin Hotel to your Saves list
The Pridwin Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Shore Road, Crescent Beach, Shelter Island, NY 11964   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Shelter Island
New York, New York, United States
“Average at the Pridwin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The positives of this hotel is the gorgeous location. When you eat your delicious hot breakfast or amazing dinner at the hotel restaurant, you overlook the beach. It is SO beautiful and relaxing sitting there for your meals or sipping on wine in the evening. The property has a little game room, a bar for evening cocktails, a great maintained pool, and tennis courts. (The tennis courts are pricey but you are a tennis player, its a must) You really don't have to leave the hotel because everything is on property. However Shelter Island is great to explore so it's good to be out & about.

The negatives are the room. We were in the main building on the 3rd floor. Unfornately, the room was by the staircase so we could hear everyone going up and down late at night. I am a light sleeper so it was quite frustrating since there was a loud group of people on our floor the first night. Also, taking a shower is annoying as well. The water constantly turned from hot to cold. I'm assuming it's because other guests were flushing the toilet. I was happy we were there only for a weekend. That would have drove me batty if I had to deal with that for a week.

All & all, it was average because the room experience was a negative. The walls are paper thin so try to get a room at the end of the hall if possible or possibly one of the suites that are further away from the main building.
May go back again & try the cottages just to give this place a second chance. Being so close to the beach was great!

Room Tip: cottages or rooms at end of hall (avoid the rooms near the main staircase)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Easthampton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

From the petulant staff to the front desk indifference the hotel is poorly run leaving guests to feel they have been duped. The website photos do not accurately portray the rooms which are cramped, dated, and smell moldy. The lighting was poor, the air conditioner was noisy and the towels were frayed. We requested a newspaper and were told "we can't get them here" When the weekly barbecue turned into a drunken party down the hall from our room the front desk responded by stating "oh didn't they warn you about that when they booked the room?" telling us to expect the ruckus to continue until 1am - alas it never ended until 2am. The pool closes at 7pm, there are extra charges for water sport activities and overall the place needs a facelift. We attempted to share our disappointment at check out but alas the manager was not available. We
were not surprised.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Very outdated hotel. Great location & views but badly in need of a renovation. None of the electricity sockets in my room worked I had to charge my phone in the bathroom. AC was very noisy. I only stayed here because the Sunset Beach Hotel was full. Next time I'll book earlier and pay the extra money to go back to Sunset Beach.

• Stayed August 2012
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The Pridwin offers the chance to focus on an intensely restful vacation. I stayed there with my family years ago, but this past July 2012 was pretty special. There was an extremely friendly staff of people from all over the world working there. I brought my two young sons and they thought the world of the great pool as well as the beach in front, the hydro bikes that we rode on, and standup paddle boards that we fell off of. They also enjoyed the Pridwin game room (ping pong and billiards). For me, I loved the restaurant attached to the hotel’s covered deck. Seriously, the food is great--my son mentioned he liked the lobster rolls more than the famed NYC Pearl Oyster Bar....as he put it, the lobster isn't as tough and chewy. When I mentioned this to the chef later that night who was passing by the beautiful bar area at the Pridwin, he said, (and this is without me telling him about the chewy part) that he never uses tails...only claws and legs. Makes sense, and my 11 year old noticed. All the food was especially good. Shelter Island also offered the chance to visit other areas of the island via bicycles the Pridwin provides. There was even a college baseball game at the local field that was classic Americana, ala Rockwell. I think the Pridwin has refined itself over the years...I highly recommend.

Room Tip: The cottages are wonderful if you can book them. The rooms in the hotel itself make dining very conv...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Rooms were nothing special at all but food n location great.. Def spot to stay since its across from their private beach where u can kayak ...

• Stayed July 2012
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We just came back from our wedding weekend at the Pridwin. I can not say enough about how amazing the whole experience was. The hotel is gorgeous, the food was amazing and everyone loved their cabins or room.
We started with a welcome bbq on Friday night that was on the front lawn. The atmosphere was relaxed and casual and everyone had an amazing time. I was almost nervous that the wedding could not top the welcome bbq. I was 100% wrong. The wedding was perfect and it could not have gone as smoothly without the help of Alissa, the wedding planner and Bix the Maitre' D. They made the day go smoothly. The weekend ended with a brunch that everyone enjoyed.
We only wish we could do it again!!

Room Tip: The cabin's with the water view were great!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I just spent the long Memorial Day weekend at the Pridwin - the official start of Summer - and it was fantastic! I stayed in one of the cottages. In previous years I have stayed in a cottage, and they were looking shabby, but surprisingly they have been revamped! New wood floors, very cool recylcled denim rag rugs, big mirrors - all-in-all very Fresh and delightful! Try to get in one of the new cottages! And the food keeps getting better and better! Family friendly and delighfully retro!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Pridwin Hotel? Share your experiences!