“The staff at the bar make me want to come back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Nott Terrace, Schenectady, NY 12308 (Formerly Holiday Inn Schenectady)   |
Ranked #3 of 11 hotels in Schenectady
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rochester, NY
“The staff at the bar make me want to come back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stay once a month. Hotel is average with average rooms. I like the availability of a bar after a long day. Gina is always there when I come in and is great at her job! Friendly and quick service. Front desk does a great job as well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HISchenectady, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Patrick G,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding our hotel. Gina very much appreciates the compliment as well as our front desk staff. We look forward to having you return again this month and every month so that we can continue to provide you with only the best of service.

I apologize that you feel our hotel is average, but would like you to know that we will be undergoing major renovations and are very excited for you to see our changes when they are complete. I am sure you will enjoy the new bar even more than you do now.

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Rooms , service, food very good. I stay here every time I visit Schenectady and never disappointed. I am a fussy Easter, but the guys abd girls in restaurant do every thing they can do to accommodate my needs successfully, and the grilled salmon and white egg omelets sre excellent. Thanks guys.Forget the rest holiday inn Schenectady is the best

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear woodbadg,

The entire staff thanks you for leaving your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We have shared your comments with the staff and look forward to serving you again and again!

Topeka, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This hotel is just an average hotel. The outside appearance is fine, looks good. The lobby is nicely updated and very attractive. Then you get to your room, and they are dated. Don't get me wrong, everything worked, just older. The remote control for the TV for example didn't work half the time, the mattress was very stiff, giving me sore shoulders in the morning. The bathroom had great water pressure and plenty of hot water. The AC was great but the air blowed directly onto the bed, making it cold every time it turned on. The layout of the hotel is quite strange, this was originally a Holidome which makes the hallways long and the pool is surrounded by the rooms. There is only one elevator and it is located in the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: The Hotel restaurant is really the only thing nearby for breakfast and it is not complimentary.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HISchenectady, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear dkrug10042,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We truly appreciate your opinion. We are happy to hear that although you felt the hotel was a little dated that everything did work to your standards and that the hotel was clean. As for the dated feel of the hotel we are proudly an older property. We are, however, about to undergo very exciting major renovations. We hope that when you travel back to the area that will choose to stay with us and see the wonderful changes we have made.

Gardner, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is an old hotel...needs updating badly. Yes, the lobby smells like chlorine, but the pool is open and right next to the front desk. The pool area and bar were nice. The staff arefriendly and very accommodating. The room was clean..bathroom is very small..barely room for one person. AC unit blows right on the bed so the person on that side of the bed gets frozen! We were in room 403 which had NO internet service. Given the fact that this was Homecoming weekend and the hotel was full, it was amazingly quiet. At check-put I mentioned there being no internet service in the room and the clerk offered me water or soda from the gift shop to "make it right". Apparently they are renovating soon and will reopen at a Doubletree in 2014.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
cassietravels, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear questionqueen25,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable feedback. You are correct and we will be completely reinventing our hotel to a Doubletree by Hilton. I have noted your concerns regarding the AC unit and this will be something we can look into during our renovations. While undergoing the renovations we will be changing our bathrooms so that they will have a larger vanity. I have also contacted our internet company regarding the internet speed issue you encountered so that our guests do not experience the same.

I appreciate your kind comments about the cleanliness and the staff being friendly and accommodating. Service and cleanliness are two of our top priorities.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night before picking our daughter up from camp, from the outside the hotel looks very updated, but once in the room it had a very old look and most of the building smelled of chlorine from the inside pool. The neighborhood is an old commercial town, for what I was paying for the night was not worth the price our room was near the elevator so we hear mechanical and people all night. The staff was very nice gave great recommendations for areas to eat.

Room Tip: I am not sure about the other rooms but do not get a room near the elevator wall are not insulated
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
cassietravels, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear bigbouvier,

I just wanted to thank you for leaving your very valuable feedback regarding your last stay with us here.

I apologize that you felt that our hotel rooms have an old look, we are about to undergo major renovations that will completely reinvent our hotel. We will be coming a Doubletree by Hilton and look forward to an overall update of the property

I have spoken with the maintenance department regarding the smell of the chlorine and the sounds from the elevator room and they have addressed both concerns.

I am glad that you felt the staff was very nice as we take pride in providing only the best of service for our guests.

I hope that in the future when traveling back through the area you will stop by and visit us again to see all of the wonderful changes we are making to the hotel.

Scarsdale, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here as a last resort. We were visiting his son who goes to school in Saratoga, but as it was the same weekend as Farm Aid, all the hotels in Saratoga and teh immediate area were sold out. This is not the typical kind of place we stay. The lobby smelled of chlorine, due to the pool that was in it. We arrived earlier than check-in time, and so our room was not ready yet. We did not have a problem with that. The staff proactively offered to call us on our cell when it was ready, but then never called. Why bother to offer this service if there is no follow-through? The bathroom in our room was not nice. The shower grout was moldy and gross, and the toilet area and the shower had yucky hairs in & around - you know what I mean. The room - even numbered room - overlooked the pool. I looked down and was changing for bed and saw two woment lounging and chatting over drinks right below me. Luckily, the blackout curtains worked! The bed was comfortable, I'll give them that. The coffee area was basically unattended in the morning, with only one cup left, and barely any milk, and at that moment no staff member in sight to report this to. Hopefully that one person was getting more cups to restock!
Schenactady is a town in need of a rebirth, government aid, something - to bring it back to life. We would not choose to stay in this town again, and certainly would only stay at this Holiday Inn again as a last resort. The parking lot is not secured, either, by the way, and I would certainly not leave anything of value in plain sight in my car here. Seems to dangerous.
Sorry for the bummer of a review, but that's how it was for us.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd numbered room, so you don't have an interior view of the pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear corsagi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your most valuable feedback regarding your recent stay.

I certainly appreciate you going into detail because that helps us to improve things that you did not find up to standard. I have spoken to the front desk staff about not calling you back, the food and beverage staff about keeping up with the coffee station, the housekeeping staff regarding the condition of your room and the maintenance staff about the smell of the chlorine. On behalf of the entire staff we Thank you for bringing these items to our attention so that we can make sure they do not happen again.

I am sorry that you feel that you would only stay here as a last resort and hope that in the future given the opportunity that you would reconsider and stay with us again. We would love an opportunity to show you how your feedback has helped us improve and exceed your expectations.

Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here for a one night just before leaving from USA. This is my stay here for third time in last few years. I prefer to stay here as it is very close to an Indian restaurant and it is very convenient for me as I usually do not drive in US. The only thing that I would like to see is continental breakfast included in the price like other US hotels, including Holiday Inn at other locations in Albany area. The room is big and bed super comfortable.The fitness area & swimming pool is adequate to make your stay comfortable. The shuttle service (I had used in my earlier stay 5+ years back) was a good service that has been discontinued. For the area the room is slightly overpriced.

Room Tip: Be careful if you are walking at nights as it might not be safe.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HISchenectady, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Gopi R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the feedback and always share it with our staff. We look forward to having you back as a valued guest in the future.

Kind Regards,

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Schenectady? Share your experiences!