“Certainly not the worst hotel I've ever stayed at...” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Nott Terrace, Schenectady, NY 12308   |
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Schenectady
GreenLeadersSilver level
Havertown, Pennsylvania
“Certainly not the worst hotel I've ever stayed at...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had some points saved up, so the night was free, which was a huge plus. I was not familiar with the area, but had I realized there was a Hampton Inn directly in the downtown area, I would have stayed there. The hotel staff I was fast-talking and not very friendly. The first thing I noticed upon arrival other than the uninviting outside facade, was how hot the lobby was. I was surprised how warm it was. When accessing the elevator or stairs you need your room key, which on one hand you think to yourself, "they are serious about security here" and then on the other hand you wonder "why are they so tight about security here?" I am not familiar with the area at all, so I don't know if it's safe, or not. It looked like an ok place to be.... The room was nicely appointed and clean. The workout room was very warm (like the lobby) and there wasn't an AC unit that I could even turn on. There were also no towels in the workout room which was a bummer as well. The indoor pool looked really nice and the hottub, but I didn't use either. The restaurant looked nice also, but again, I didn't take advantage of that either. They had cookies out at around 9PM (I'm sure they were out much earlier) when we got back to our room, so that was cool. Our room overlooked the indoor pool, which was nice, but a little strange since we couldn't see outside! I would stay here again, if the Hampton Inn was booked and I was in the area. I've certainly been in worse hotels! But for a Holiday Inn, I sort of expected a little more, but it was overall, Ok.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Schenectady, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Cin4513,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am glad that you noticed the cleanliness of the room. However, I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
boston,ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

we were there for Union College Graduation. The hotel and staff helped make the weekend very festive-with balloons, snacks, free drinks. We were there with a large group (4 rooms) and we really appreciated the tables near the pool where we could congregate. The kids enjoyed playing board games and going in the hot tub. The staff was very friendly, helpful and accomodating of our needs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Always, stay here when visiting Schenectady, staff are friendly, rooms ok, restaurantvery good, the white egg omelet for breakfast is excellent, do is the fish dinner,no.master what type of fish its done to.perfection

• Stayed May 2013
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

A group of just about 30 college students traveled to the Holiday Inn Schenectady for a fundraiser. The hotel staff was more than accommodating to all our needs. This location does not serve a continental breakfast, much to our confusion; however, the kitchen staff served our group bagels and juice, with no request from us! The rooms were great and every aspect of the hotel was clean. The management team is extremely helpful and was willing to go the extra mile for our large group, including attending our fundraiser! The ladies at the front desk were so nice and were able to locate a missing phone charger from someone in our party. We highly recommend this hotel as we were treated with nothing but respect. We will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We decide to stay at this hotel because it was late, and usually Holiday Inns are very nice. This location is scary at night, I don't enjoy feeling like I'm about to be jumped. After traveling all day, we requested to have a quiet room, but instead had to listen to strange noises all night. Loud thumps and bumps were heard every half hour or so. On the plus side, they kept their restaurant open for us and the food was delicious.

• Stayed June 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Schenectady, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Mainetrip2013,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the room allocation and noise challenges you experienced during your stay. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, I would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I traveled to this hotel for business on May 23, 2013. I've stayed in a lot of hotels all over the world. In my view, a hotel has to have two key criteria: comfortable beds and excellent staff. This hotel has both.

The front desk was quick to check me in, even though there was a minor issue with my reservation. I had a quick drink at the bar and headed out for supper at a local restaurant recommended by the General Manager of the hotel herself. In the morning, as I was headed out to breakfast, I was stopped by a maid who asked me how I would rate the room. Now, this was a first. Normally, you get a 'how was your stay?' question after you've already checked out. This showed me that service is #1 on all the staff's minds in the hotel.

Breakfast we good, too. I had a huge DEnver omlette that was very light and fluffy. The coffee was good, too.

I'm looking forward to my next stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: Room 447 was nice..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The staff at this hotel made a huge positive impression. When we reserved our room we did not realize that it did not include a refrigerator. A call to the front desk explaining that we needed a frig for my husbands insulin had a frig there in less than 5 minutes. This was followed by a call from the front desk less than 5 minutes after that to ensure the frig had been delivered and was working.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about the frig cause not all room have them.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Schenectady? Share your experiences!