“Not my first choice, but sooo glad I stayed there!” 5 of 5 stars

AAA get up to 10% off
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Schenectady
GreenLeadersGold level
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
“Not my first choice, but sooo glad I stayed there!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Was actually going to Saratoga Springs for the weekend, but the Hampton there, where I thought I wanted to stay, was much more expensive. Since Schenectady is just a few miles from my hometown and familiar to me, and also not too far from Saratoga, decided to stay there. Everything was perfect; everyone was more than helpful; room and all accommodations were excellent. Thought the parking was going to be inconvenient, but it really isn't, and the attendants were very prompt and helpful. Have stayed at Hampton Inns all over the country, and 99% of them have been a pleasure; this one was no exception!

Room Tip: With the exception of one Inn in Mississippi, every room I've ever stayed in has been excellent...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The staff couldn't do enough to accommodate us. The breakfast was ample and fresh. The rooms were very clean and well furnished. The hotel is in walking distance to a few very nice restaurants and theaters.

Homer, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The overall experience of the hotel was wonderful; great room, great bed, good breakfast...but the parking lot was very full and it was very difficult to get in to the hotel due to construction (paving) of the lot at the entrance (the construction company had NO flaggers to warn people or direct them!). My car ended up getting hit/damaged in the parking lot, as someone parked illegally on a corner space in the middle (I was the last "legally" parked car in the middle isle). I didn't realize this until a mile or so down the road after I checked out. Hampton should have someone there at night to monitor the parking lot! and this probably wouldn't have happened.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

East Berne, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We chose the Hampton Inn in Schenectady as our hotel for our wedding night stay based first on the location - it is located literally less than 60 paces from the location of our wedding, which took place at Key Hall at Proctor's. Every step of the way, the staff at the Hampton was on top of things - from responding almost instantly to questions we had via e-mail to making sure our stay was both enjoyable and memorable. I cannot say enough about the staff at the Hampton - they are phenomenal! We had a fantastic stay, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Schenectady, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This Hampton Inn is fairly new and located right in the heart of downtown Sch'dy so you can walk to restaurants, drug store etc. In fact, 2 new restaurants opened in the past few months - an Italian and an Asian Bistro. We had dinner at the Asian Bistro, which was very good. Great value at this hotel!

Bishop, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The comfort and cleanliness of the hotel, in addition to the excellent staff, made this the best Hampton Inn we've ever stayed in. In addition, even though the hotel is downtown, the rooms are incredibly quiet. This will always be our hotel of choice when visiting Schenectady.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Frankly, I wasn't expecting anything more than bare-bones accommodations, but I was in for a delightful surprise.

The Hampton Inn, Schenectady, is located right in the middle of town and has a large parking lot for guests, making it extremely convenient. It is a new hotel, so it is very clean and attractive. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance.

We were greeted by friendly desk staff and check-in was easy. The biggest surprise was the lovely room itself. Spacious, bright, nicely decorated and very, very clean. I happen to detest those dreadful dark, printed bedspreads found in so many of the less expensive hotels, so I was thrilled to see fresh, clean white duvet covers on the two queen-size beds. (While fresh bed linens were available every day, I simply made my bed and told the maid I only needed fresh towels.)

The bathroom was, likewise, spacious and clean. Even the shower curtain was very fresh and clean (not a hint of mildew). The towels were thick, and the sink counter had lots of space to accommodate the toiletries of two people. Excellent lighting and a large mirror. A little coffee-maker was there, too, although we never used it.

We requested a small refrigerator be placed in our room, which they promptly did.

So, you've gotten the message that this hotel is new, clean, spacious, and we were very happy there. Now let me tell you about the free breakfast.

Usually, free breakfasts are fairly grim. Not at this Hampton Inn. It is served in a large, high-ceilinged, bright, well-appointed room. The chairs are upholstered (no stiff plastic chairs), and the room has a spacious, gracious feel to it.

The coffee/tea area offers a lovely selection of hot beverages, and the regular coffee was hot and very good. The juice/fruit area had a variety of juices (orange and cranberry...probably apple, too), as well as fresh chopped fruit mix and a bowl of whole apples and bananas. (Side note: I am usually a stickler for drinking only bottled water, but Schenectady water is really, really good.)

They had hot oatmeal (somedays a little too congealed for my taste), hot eggs (sometimes scrambled, sometimes an omelet) and breakfast sausage or bacon. You could make your own waffle, too, although I never did. There were little boxes of various cold cereals, peeled hard-boiled eggs, and a large assortment of pastries.

There was always an attendant in the room making sure tables were clean and the serving areas were well supplied and tidy. We enjoyed our breakfasts there very much.

Apparently, the Hampton Inn has the tradition of serving fresh, warm chocolate chip cookies late in the day. In this particular hotel, they were served around 7pm. I am not much of a chocolate chip cookie fan, but these were delicious, and it was such a pleasant way to end the day (actually, we'd take them up to our room for consumption later in the evening).

The entire staff...at the front desk, in the breakfast room, as well as the maids...were all very helpful and pleasant.

There is an indoor pool and hot tub, although we never used it.

One word of warning: it is difficult to see the hotel's driveway entrance, and you can only enter from one side of the street (you cannot make a left-turn into it). Otherwise, everything is a breeze and a delight. One of the nicest hotel stays I've had in a very, very long time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Schenectady? Share your experiences!