“Business travelers beware!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Schenectady
Altamonte Springs, Florida
“Business travelers beware!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I was in the area on business for two weeks and my client suggested the inn. If you're in town for a special event or like boutique hotels, this is for you. I ended up cutting my stay short and I moved to the Hampton on State.

The floor was very dirty, items in my room were mistaken as trash, the bureau drawers were not cleaned between guests because I found someone's shirt, if there is an event forget about finding a parking spot, if there is an event be prepared to run into noisy drunkards, the continental breakfast is lackluster and the internet connection is horrible.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The building is gorgeous, reminded me of places we've stayed in London and Dublin. The surrounding neighborhood is an amazing place to walk and sightsee. The free parking behind the building is a bonus. The room was nice, clean, large, with a comfortable bed. The woman who greeted us was very friendly and helpful. Overall, a very good choice to stay the night but I was disappointed in breakfast the next morning. It was laid out on the bar and basically it was vending machine food. Danish, muffins, cinnamon rolls, all wrapped in plastic. There were some plastic containers of cereal and bagels and a metal trough for juices, milk cartons and some yogurt. There was also coffee and a toaster. Just not what I expected from such a magnificent looking place. I've spent $50 less a night and had hot food choices in the morning. The Inn has such a fantastic restaurant attached to it, surely something can be done to improve breakfast and make a great stay complete.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ballston Spa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had dinner at the Stockade after a seeing the Thursday afternoon play at Proctor's. It was Valentine's Day but we were early. We had an excellent meal and excellent service. I enjoyed the French Onion soup. My companions ordered the Antipasto which was delicious also.
I had the free range Chicken for dinner which was excellent, topped with pesto and mozzarella
cheese. My companions had veal and the Sea Bass which they both thought were very good. The portion size was very good on everything, with enough left over to bring home. Service was excellent. The ambiance is cozy and there is a fire place.
There are 3 areas to eat. I like the main dining room and the lounge area is very nice, but I wouldn't want to eat in the over flow dining room, as it seems rather cold looking and not as cozy as the other two rooms.
I highly recommend the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Voorheesville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had a gift certificate & went to dinner on a Sat. I was glad that we had a reservation. By the time we left most tables were filled. There was a wedding reception that night as well. I had scallops and my meal was mouth watering. The salad was good, service, atmosphere-all exceptional. So glad we went.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Canandaigua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I heard about this inn from a friend and ended up staying here on business the following week. It's in a historic building, in a historic district. The rooms was spacious, every thing I wanted and a heck of a lot better than the chains. The ceilings are 10' high, my room had a chandelier and a nice view overlooking the street. There's even a billiard room here. My only issue was that the restaurant wasn't opened Sunday or Monday (at least during winter), but that was okay. Oh, there is a bar and that was open. I took the opportunity to try out a restaurant in the Italian district, very nice. The price was $100 per night and while it might have been a higher than a Red Roof, it was worth the minor extra for comfort and experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in the Stockade Inn and found the room to be adequate. The room was clean, the hallway quiet, and the wifi worked. The food was excellent. The Inn is conveinently located accross the river from Schenectady.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pittsford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Coming from over 2 hours away,we were looking for a place to spend the night after seeing a show at the Proctors Theater in order to avoid the late drive home. This one ranked tops on tripadvisor and did not disappoint. It perfectly met our need.
It is a historic building, recently renovated into an inn (2003, I believe) primarily serving as a popular restaurant (we would also recommend- we had Thanksgiving dinner there) with the guest rooms upstairs.
As another reviewer commented, the reception area was a small space to one side of the stairs.

We spent an hour pre-theater in the lounge having a very nice (and reasonably priced) cocktail and listening to an entertaining trio. We walked to the theater (10-15 minutes) and at no time felt concerned about our safety. Many people were out walking about.
In the morning we had a very enjoyable walk to the river and around the historic Stockade district.
Breakfast was very basic... yogurt, cereal, packaged pastries. But as I mentioned, we were planning to have our Thanksgiving dinner there at noon and were not interested in much that morning.
If there was one thing in particular that was a bit disappointing to us, it was that the lounge and entertainment closed down between 10 and 11, so we did not enjoy any post theater outing. The Inn itself was locked at the point we returned (about 11pm) and we buzzed to be let in. We were aware of this in advance however.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Stockade Inn? Share your experiences!