“The English Garden is a bargain” 5 of 5 stars
Review of English Garden Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Schenectady
English Garden Bed & Breakfast
Save Saved
You added English Garden Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
205 Union Street, Schenectady, NY 12305   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Schenectady B&B and Inns
milvain
“The English Garden is a bargain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

I had to travel to Albany from Boston to sit for a professional exam and stayed at this B&B because I was unable to find lodging in Albany. I was delighted with my stay. The room was inexpensive (less than $100/night), very large, and clean, and had a lot of character, as did the house itself. I had to leave the B&B by 7:00 each morning, and each day, the proprietor left a substantial breakfast -- made to my specifications -- for me, with a thermos of coffee. The negative review by the previous poster -- involving bats, etc. -- suggests a peculiar, anomalous, and unrepresentative experience. I would without hesitation stay at this B&B again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
ct
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

Although this home has some charm, it smells of urine and has cheap antiques. THe worst part of the trip was being awoken to bats flying around in the bedroom in the middle of the night- what a horrific experience. That combined with a 90 degree room with no air made this experience the worst ever!

• Disliked — the bats in the bedroom
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2004

What a wonderful surprise to find this gem in the beautiful Stockade area! The owner was extremely accommodating despite my last minute travel plans and late arrival. The rooms are a little eclectic, but charming, with small niceties, like a vase of fresh roses on the bedside table. Note that the rooms are very different. Ask for the rear room with the large porch as your first choice. This is an old house (apparently dating back to the 1700's) so noise carries, and the downstairs room has the misfortune of being near the front door. Two of the upstairs rooms, however, have shaded porches attached and the one in the rear (at least) is very quiet. As I had business to complete, the porch was a lovely, quiet place to sit and work in the afternoon, but the interior of that room, with its comfy sofa and fireplace, was equally as relaxing. On one day I was the only guest for breakfast and had a fabulous breakfast of blueberries and french toast. The next day, when the inn was full, was cold cereal but with a delicious yogurt and fruit cup to start. I have stayed in inns that were more perfectly decorated or run, but for Schenectady, which has had too few options for too long -- what a terrific addition!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2004

The service i have recived and the time i had was very well spent. The host treated me very well and i love the food that is prepared. I would gladly come back for another stay.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2004

When I arrived at the English Garden Bed & Breakfast, I was immediatly welcomed into a beautiful surrounding. The owner made sure that my room was perfect in every way. I woke up on both mornings that I stayed and had a wonderful breakfast that was served with elegant tea. It made me feel like the queen of England herself. There was a beautiful garden in the back, and my room was complete with a porch that I could relax on after a day of such hectics. This is deffinetly one of the greatest places in the historic stockade of Schenectady, and even one of the greatest places to stay at as well. I give it a 5 star rating!

Been to English Garden Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!