“Fine boutique hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in Schenectady
New York, NY
“Fine boutique hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

If you have to stay overnight in Schenectady, this is not a bad place to do it.

Our room was clean, spacious, and totally adequate. The bathroom, however, was AMAZING. It had the most incredible shower I've ever experienced. My traveling companion is still raving about it years later - how he dreams about getting one of his own :-)

The only reason I can't give it five stars is because the breakfast room was actually a bar, and didn't have a very welcoming feel during daylight hours. Other than that, no complaints.

The front desk staff were very helpful, if slightly overwhelmed and understaffed in the evening. During the daytime, there was a concierge available.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tolland, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Just got back from surprising my husband with a weekend getaway for our anniversary at The Parker Inn. We stayed in a newly renovated room with a full kitchen. From the moment we arrived until checkout, we experienced nothing but great service. Drinks at the bar before hitting an 8:00 show at Proctor’s theater, I could not have asked for a better atmosphere. I saw some negative reviews on here but honestly, I have to say, my experience was nothing but a success from start to finish. Thank you to the staff at Parker Inn for making this such a special weekend and I cant wait to come back!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamden, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Have traveled to the Albany area for over 20 years since our daughter attended undergrad and grad school there. Have stayed in many different hotels/B&B's over the course of 20 years, but recently since we travel with our 10 year old CT grandson, we tend to stay at "chains" with a pool. Since this was a Christmas visit with our daughters family, our grandson wasnt' coming, so we chose a place close to the town where they lived, without a pool. Arrived late Christmas Eve, and was looking forward to a nice hot bath, but the bathroom only had a shower, worse yet, there were only 2 towels in the bathroom, both frayed, and no tissues (I have a cold) They missed the mark as this could have been decorated in the early 1900's style of the actual building, but was 1970's tacky. The bed was very comfortable, and the special Christmas rate was $99. The Continental breakfast was..well, not worth mentioning. If you need a place to sleep, this is a place to sleep, if you are looking for any ambience..there are numerous better places not far from this, check around. Not a place for a family.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

This hotel may be old, but it does have class and charm. Room was very clean, and quiet. Loved the bathroom - it had a rain shower head! The "continental breakfast" leaves little to be desired. This needs to be worked on! The bed was a little too soft, and my towels, washcloths, and even the bathmat were not replaced for day two. All in all my stay was very pleasant; I would stay there again, and would recommend this to anyone visiting Schenectady.

Room Tip: Third floor back room very quiet
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I stayed here for business for two nights and my stay was pretty good. Yes it's true the hotel is a little worn but my room was great! I will get this out of the way - my one negative comment is the continental breakfast. The can't seem to get this right. It was a few items in the hotel bar. The juices tasted watered down, they did not keep the coffee karafe filled and they ran out of cream. The cereal was boxes of cheerios and rice krispies in a big bowl and was stale. Just plan accordingly. The room was very clean and interesting. i have never stayed in a hotel room that had so much light! The bathroom is beautiful. Had a large walk-in shower. I did not have any issues with the staff. They were friendly and helpful everytime. As long as you are not looking for a good breakfast I think you will enjoy staying here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Morongo Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We were in room 601, a large amount of space. I think it was classified as a mini suite. Being at the front of the hotel, one is subjected to some street noise but that's not unusual for city locations.

The bed was comfortable, there was plenty of storage space, we appreciated the refrigerator and microwave and had good TV reception. Internet stability was a bit shaky but better than I've experienced at many places.

The bathroom was updated but the old style was maintained. The shower was very large. After having read some of the reviews of previous visitors I thought that maybe the valve on the back wall was for the unit next door but in fact it was for the ceiling shower head way up above. LOL

Yes, the carpets are not that attractive and there are some spots here and there, but then I looked in the mirror and noticed quite a few spots on my face as the result of age. It cannot be avoided. Temperature control was not a problem for us and we were there during an unusually warm few days.

The bar area was pleasant. I did have the continental breakfast that provided enough for me early in the day. Yes, the hallway floors were quite worn, especially on the lower levels. Worn steps had me wondering how many thousands of people have passed over them. Hey it's historical.

We originally were put off by some of the reviews about the neighborhood, couldn't book at the newer hotel just up the street, and in hindsight were glad we ended up here. Parking was not the big problem some described. Hey, if you don't like historical you probably should pay the higher prices elsewhere for sterile blandness. I prefer character and for the price I was very happy and would return again in spite of the few flaws mentioned.

Room Tip: Not having seen the standard rooms, I would ask the differences from what I have described. I think...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New Berlin, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Was at this hotel in room 701 for two nights this past weekend for my sons wedding. First off for as old as this hotel is, it has some class and some charm. Here are the things that i feel having worked for both Marriott and Holiday inn, that make this close to being a great hotel. I have loads of hospitality experience, with that said......

the room: was large enough and of comfortable temperature with good occupant control.
the bathroom was large enough that you did not feel that you where in a closet, the
shower was huge, and the two shower heads worked out great for the different
People in out party.

The bathroom ceiling was in need of patching, you could tell where the room above it had leaked and they just pulled off the joint tape, and left it to dry, maybe they where going to go back and re-tape the joints and repaint, but have not.

The room was in need of a much more detailed cleaning, over all, and while we where there.

i ran my fingers over the top of the bathroom mirror and came away will clumps of dust.
i ran my hand onto of the tv/refrigerator cabinet, and came away with a handful of dust.
One of the two main lights in the room had some reddish/rust colored splatter spots on the outside brushed chrome edge, along with a piece of scotch tape.

In the hall outside the elevator, two of the three wall sconces had the shades missing.

now for the food we had in the hotel, the continental breakfast:

Do not even attempt to drink the coffee... it tasted like dish water.

i had to get assistance from the front desk clerk, a young lady, when there was no sugar for the coffee or cereal , when she came in she did not apologize for being out or anything, just refilled the sugar in a huff, and went back to the desk, then we ran out of milk, then we ran out of spoons, eating my cereal with the last spoon, an ice tea spoon. we did not bother to ask for more assistance, and went down to kens to get a great cup of coffee and some pleasant service. In my opinion, not having an attendant to keep track of the continental breakfast is a huge mistake.

One of the nights i wanted to get a soda, so i looked in the guest directory and it said machines where on the 2nd floor, so i want and looked around on the 2nd floor and found nothing, so i go to the desk, and ask where they are, and was told you go thou the bar, and they are in the back by the arcade machines, i told her it would be nice if they updated the guest services directory, and she laughed and said, yea.

As i said soooo close to being great, a more welcoming staff (hospitality training), some "good mornings", some basic repairs ( a checklist for each room), a bit more through cleaning before and during guests ( our trash was not emptied while we where there). All of these things are achievable. I welcome contact from the management or owners.

Room Tip: room 701 has a GREAT view
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Parker Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!