“a bit of bourbon” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
new york
“a bit of bourbon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

love this place. I am frequent traveler to New Orleans and I feel closer to it each time I come here. Kevin and crew aim to please. Kevin greets you like you were friends forever. The food is amazing, Gumbo, oysters, alligator, crawfish and of course the beignets. What more can you ask for...... Music, Whether cajun zydeco or rock, there's always a party. It's Mardi Gras every day when visiting. Thanks Kevin for making me not so homesick for Nola.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Albany, New York
“Been there twice, plan to keep going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I don't get the negative reviews. We were there last week on a whim, Saturday night. Greeted warmly and promptly seated. Got the Cajun wings, hot and spicy, excellently cooked, crunchy and not fatty. Alligator bites were amazing, well seasoned, light breading and great sauce. they are a bit spicy and filling. Gumbo for me. Tasty, very generous portion, lots of sausage. Chicken for my wife, nicely a breaded, good portion, light but good seasoning. The chef stopped by to ask how everything was, ask our opinion on his dishes and to let us know that he would welcome any special requests. Our waitress was prompt, welcoming and fun. Greatly enjoyed ourselves. Dinner was not cheap but I thought price was fair, been to many places where you still pay $60 for dinner but the food is not special and you leave hungry. I rolled out of this place pleasantly stuffed and sorry I had no room for dessert.

Sw they had Captain Squeeze playing tonight and went back on a whim. Wings, soup and hush puppies. Once again I was very pleased by the great food, atmosphere and staff. Saved room for the beignets. They were amazing served with 4 different dipping sauces. My wife swore they are better than Cafe du Monde. As per our first visit, the chef took personal interest in our experience and happiness. He mentioned he is planning some gluten free and vegan dishes.

I am shocked by the negative reviews, can only tell you my experience has been great and I plan to go back often.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“A bit disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stopped for a quick bite to eat and ended up with an experience long on lunch and not much to rave about. The owner of the restaurant was very hospitable and tried hard to please, but the second floor landing was too far removed for attentive service and we were left at several points for too long a time without anyone checking on us -- surprising as there were only two other seated tables in the restaurant. We ordered the crabcake appetiser which included a crabcake on top of a bed of salad greens. The crab was delicious, but unfortunately arrived cold in center and had to be sent back. When it was returned, it was covered with too much cajun remoulade -- very hot and spicy on top of the greens, which were dressed with lemon vinegarette making an interesting but not compatible combo. The seafood stew came steaming hot, was very good and made onsite. The chef must have read the review by "aroe" who complained about "little flavour and spice"....we had the opposite experience where the crawfish nachos were extremely salty and coated in cajun seasonings -- almost too much so. Although we love spicy and hot, water was in short supply. Sadly our dessert, an apple crisp/cobbler, was equal parts crumb/flour topping to apples and took a long time to arrive.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Canandaigua
“Atmospheric and Friendly, tasty to boot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stopped at Cafe Nola on a friend's recommendation. On a cold night, the warmth of the surroundings, the servers, and the chef all enhanced our experience. Lively music, not too loud, and Nawlins decorations were perfect.
The food was good, not great., and it varied by the item. Fried chicken was pronounced "the best ever" by 2 dinners, and the chicken "fingers"(more like arms with their bountiful portion) were also excellent. Crab cakes over greens were also large, moist and flavorful. Truffle fires were exceptionally tasty.
The big disappointment was the oyster po-boy. The baguette the sandwich was served on was thick and tough, the bread too dense and the crust too soft for biting or soaking up flavor. The oysters were literally smothered in a heavy cornmeal coating, extinguishing their delicate flavor. The extra $2 charge for 2 tiny slice of tomato and some wilted lettuce a travesty.
Service prompt, very friendly, and food all homemade and fresh. Prices reasonable except for the lettuce.
So I'd go back but have chicken.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Albany, NY
“Cajun food without spice or flavor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We recently tried Cafe Nola because we love spicy Cajun food. We tried multiple dishes from fried chicken to gumbo to crawfish etouffee. All of them were bland. The food wasn't terrible but it didn't have salt, spice or much flavor. This was a real disappointment.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere