“Good Family Style Italian” 4 of 5 stars

100 South Main Street, Sayville, NY
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Butera's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 53 Restaurants in Sayville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Collins Ave
Transit: Butera's of Sayville is located a leisurely walk from the Sayville train station. We are a block from the public bus line.
New York
“Good Family Style Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Dined here with a party of four at 9pm on a weeknight. The restaurant was only half full but the service was a bit slow. We received our drinks and a small bowl of olive oil but had to wait ten minutes for the bread. I imagine on a busy night the service can get really slow..

Our food came out quicker than I expected and it was good. Chicken dish ($26) and a pasta dish ($20) were enough for the four of us. It was filling, but I missed having a vegetable or other side dish and didn't feel like paying another $9 for a side. Had an order of baked clams as well. I prefer the clams chopped, but here they serve the whole clam and found them to be tough. I don't mind baked clams made with the whole clam if they are tender but these weren't which was disappointing.

Desserts were good, our drinks were filled promptly and overall the servers were friendly. I plan on trying Buteras again as there is a shrimp dish I'd like to try that looks incredible (Shrimp Limoncello) and there are a few appetizers that caught my eye.

I really don't like how close the tables are to each other. I don't find it relaxing to sit a foot away from another table. Next time, we'll get there early and ask for a table in the corner!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Average Eats”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We wanted to try this place, since we heard a lot about its sister restaurant in Smithtown. They gave us a bruschetta that was sort of tasteless, even though it looked beautiful. The calamari was pretty good. The entrees were average, nothing that I will be raving about. The place was packed and the tables are very close together. So this is not the spot for a romantic dinner for 2. Lots of families and large groups of friends eating together. I may try it again, but it's not a m

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sag Harbor, New York
“Decent Italian Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Butera's Restaurant serves family style with each serving certainly enough for two and most probably three people. Prices are great, service is excellent and food is good. Get a coupon at Costco for $100 worth of food for $79. You receive two, $50 coupons. Not bad at all. I would return

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Long Island, NY
“Back to Buteras Bumbling Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I have already written a review of this restaurant but thought an updated one might be helpful. The food is truly amazing but due to the INCREDIBLY poor and slow service, I think it may become a take-out place for us in the future. We go there for special occasions because it is pretty pricy ($25 for pieces of chicken in sauce with NO pasta or salad) an it is one of the larger restaurants close to home and the food truly is wonderful (Chicken Picata and Stuffed Mushrooms are out of this world!). We now have a 1 and 5 year old and waiting 18 minutes for anyone to even acknowledge our existence is RIDICULOUS!. We didn’t even get water until I got up and asked the hostess to bring it.! We were there for 2 hours and only had salad and entrees! I wanted to climb out of my chair like the baby did because it just took way too long for a meal. I understand and enjoy a “fine dining experience” but not when the service is this poor. This place seriously needs to hire more help or get Chef Ramsey in there to kick the service into gear! Again, I conclude that though the food is great, it is pricey but not worth the slow service. We left saying we would be better driving 10 or 20 minutes to one of the many other wonderful restaurants around and probably would have been home 30 minutes earlier! If you have kids, go somewhere else or bring 2 coloring books instead of 1.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sayville, New York, United States
“Excellent family style Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The food is served family style and the portions are huge, so best to bring a crowd with you and share. Very nice food, excellent service and wine list.

• Visited January 2014