“A wonderful treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Onion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 62 Restaurants in Saugerties
Cross street: Glasco Turnpike
Saugerties, New York
“A wonderful treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Food is wonderful, service is great and the atmosphere is worth the try..
One of my favorite starters is the calamari done to perfection.

• Visited January 2014

Saugerties, New York, United States
“Favorite area restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is our new favorite restaurant in the area. I always enjoy a great glass of bourbon from their selection. The calamari appetizers are great, especially the Asian street style calamari. Make reservations or come early.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Celebrating a special occasion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I recently dined at Red Onion Restaurant where I was greeted with a glass of champagne in celebration of a birthday. The atmosphere in an old farm house is attractive and warm with romantic lighting. We shared two entrees including the duck and a seafood risotto - both masterfully prepared.

• Visited March 2014
Manchester, Connecticut
“Delectable food in front of a beautiful nude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We were seated at a corner table facing a large framed photograph of the profile of a seated nude. Appropriate considering the history of this pre-1850 farmhouse-now-restaurant included a few decades as a house of ill repute. I ordered the Sunflower cocktail to start and it was over-the-top too sweet for me, so I was on to the dry Rose. To-die-for rustic bread arrived in its basket and it was that perfection of so-soft and moist with a firm crust. I wanted to eat light so I chose the Caesar salad with grilled wild shrimp. The shrimp tasted as good as its description. Although not nearly as crisp as I prefer, the Caesar was very good in that the dressing was not overly sour and the lettuce was covered but not drenched. Above average food and service and it's open on Mondays when other popular local restaurants in the area are not. Will eat there again when I'm in the neighborhood.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
“Open Tuesdays!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I had never heard of The Red Onion until the day my wife and I dined there. We were in the area and wanted to celebrate a belated Valentine's Day. Little did we know that my usual spots and a few others I wanted to try were all closed on Tuesdays. Having read the good reviews, we made reservations at The Red Onion and were blown away. We liked everything about the atmosphere and decor and appreciated the professional service. Additionally, all bottled wines are 30% off on Tuesdays. Together we ordered Thai mussels, pierogis, beet salad, seafood paella, rack of lamb, dessert and coffee. Every course was prepared beautifully and tasted great. We can't wait to go back and would recommend it to anyone who appreciates a fine restaurant experience.

• Visited February 2014