“You've Been Chopped!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Healthy, Bistro
Poughkeepsie, New York
“You've Been Chopped!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I just had the displeasure of dining at New World Home Cooking today for Mother's Day Brunch. Oh, where to begin? I live by the rule that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything...but today I will make an exception. The food was lackluster to say the least. If you were lucky (or maybe unlucky) enough to grab one or the few dishes available, you first pass the corn bread that has been dumped onto a serving dish. Then on to the chafing dishes with remnants of Eggs Benedict and those nice crispy corner pieces of fritatta. The corned beef hash reminded me of the big bags of Hormel bacon bits that I sometimes by at BJ's....no offense to Hormel intended. Everything was cold...even when they replenished the empty trays, the new food was cold. There was a table of cold salad type items that were just drowning in their own juices and there was a noodle dish that looked good but the only serving utensil available was a fork. It took a while to get a full portion when only grabbing one noodle at a time.

The waitstaff was inept and clueless...we were never offered drinks after our initial one and our plates were never cleared off the table (we were a party of eight). We had to ask for coffee. It was brought to us cold. The server happily took it away only to return with two new piping hot cups. She guaranteed that they were hot because she herself just took them out of the microwave. Microwave? Are you kidding? I don't drink coffee but even I don't think restaurants are supposed to reheat a customers coffee in the microwave. Shouldn't you just make a fresh pot instead of reheating some old sludge left in the pot?

On to dessert....oh, I forgot, there was no dessert. Unless of course you count some lemon bars fresh from the freezer...I know this because they were still icy in the center. And the fruit salad....served with tiny tongs so you could only serve yourself one tiny piece at a time. Best not to stuff yourself after such a fabulous meal.

Our bill was over $300.00 for eight people. I have had better brunch buffets for free at a Hampton Inn. To add insult to injury, there was a mandatory 18% tip included for service. That would have been fine if we had a little bit of service. We served ourselves.

Don't know what all the fuss is about New World Home Cooking....it has definitely been CHOPPED off my list of places to eat in the Hudson Valley.

• Visited May 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Kingston, New York
“Excellent Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Make reservations when you plan to attend this outstanding restaurant.

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Syracuse, New York
“Another one bites the dust”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

What once was one of the best restaurants in the Hudson Valley has quickly fallen victim to lack of consistency, cheap substitutions and improperly managed employees...I recently visited to find the appearance old and dingy, the food average and the waitstaff oblivious. Sad news for another "oldie", but no longer a "goodie"...

• Visited March 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Saugerties, New York
“Great, as Usual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

The service and food were great. Yes, they need to freshen up the paint, but is clean and well worn. Its very nice to go to a restaurant with character.

Save room for dessert.

• Visited February 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Paltz, New York
“NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Four of us went here for dinner on New Year's Eve expecting to have a great time. A great band was playing and the online menu looked good. When we go there, there was a mixup with the time of our reservation which was no big deal. We sat at the bar and had a complimentary drink. The food was good and the four of us were having a good time. Our waiter was fantastic and nice. Then, all hell broke loose! We had paid the check and were sitting talking when the hostess came to the table and told us very rudely that we had to get up because we had been there too long. It was about 10:15 pm and they stopped serving at 10. When we asked her about this, she said we had been there longer that anyone else and had to leave. We got up and on our way to where the band was going to play, I stopped to talk to her to clarify the situation. She told me that if we wanted more free drinks(we didn't), she wouldn't give them to us. I politely told her that if we had known there was a time limit, we would have left earlier. She got hysterical, turned around and went yelling into the kitchen. A few minutes later, as we were waiting for the band, the manager came and said we had to leave. We asked why and he said that if we didn't leave, he would "call the cops". We were all dumfounded. We were treated very rudely and were threatened by the restaurant. Apparently, the manager was related to a local law enforcement official. My friend and I went to the car while our husbands stayed and spoke to the owner/chef who said he wanted to make it right. At that point, there wasn't anything at all he could do. Never will we ever go back to this restaurant. What a bad way to do business. The word is out.

• 2 of 5 stars Food