“Beautiful hotel, nice stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Diamond Mills Hotel
25 South Partition Street, Saugerties, NY 12477   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
New Jersey
“Beautiful hotel, nice stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel, very nicely appointed with attentive staff. All rooms overlook the falls and must be spectacular in the springtime, or warmer weather. I was there with my wife in mid Feb, to go skiing at the nearby resorts...so our stays on the balcony were limited. But I can imagine that this would be the perfect place for a spring or fall wedding. A very nice restaurant and event space is attached to the hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night in January, a short romantic getaway. Diamond Mills is a very nice boutique hotel. We stayed in a King Deluxe room, and I loved the comfy bed (great pillows!), and great view of Esopus Falls (apparently all rooms have a view of the falls). I would have enjoyed the view from the balcony if it had been a bit warmer too. Saugerties is a cute town, and most of the shops and restaurants are a short walk (5-7 min) from the hotel.
Overall pros:
- radiant heat in the bathroom, this makes a huge difference to your feet in the winter!
- Big room, great bed, linens, plush robe.
- Nice thoughtful touches, like there was actual fresh milk in the fridge (complementary) for the in-room coffee maker, not that crappy non-dairy creamer you see so many places.
- Free continental breakfast in the lobby had actual yummy pastries (croissants and scones were really good!) plus yogurt, cereal.
- Hotel was very quiet, did not hear other guests at all (although it seemed like occupancy was low, so take this with a grain of salt).
Very minor cons:
- shower was low-flow, so the pressure was kind of nil.
- the room was pretty big but it felt sort of empty - it needed another chair or loveseat to fill up the space
- the staff, while friendly and polite, was very firm about the 11 am checkout (they even called our room at 10:55 when we hadn't checked out yet to remind us), this despite the fact that the hotel was fairly empty.
- only one table to sit at to eat breakfast in the lobby - I was fine enjoying my coffee and croissant in an easy chair, but if this place gets busy I imagine that area will get crowded fast.

We did not eat at the adjacent tavern but the menu looked good. FYI, despite the name, it seems pretty fancy, not a tavern at all really. We had dinner in Woodstock at Bear Cafe which was terrific, and had lunch at Miss Lucy's Kitchen right up the hill from the hotel, also recommended. And don't miss the chocolate place right next to the hotel, they had great stuff, and good to bring back to friends and family.

Room Tip: Ice maker is loud, try to avoid a room right near it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was my first stay at Diamond Mills. My husband and I spent New Year's Eve in Saugerties and loved our visit. We were greeted by the very friendly, attentive staff who checked us in and took time to tell us about the hotel and the area. We were shown to our room which was beautifully decorated with radiant heat in the bathroom floors that I now want at home! We stepped out on the balcony to find the waterfall beautifully lit with a blue toned light. A short time later a knock at our door was a member of the staff bringing us a flower and chocolates for the evening. There were robes neatly put out on the bed, complimentary bottles of water in the mini bar to use with the in-room Keurig (for which the hotel also supplied tea much to the delight of someone like me who does not drink coffee).

We had drinks and a light meal at The Tavern, the restaurant at the hotel. The food was excellent and all of the staff we met were warm and welcoming. Our entire stay felt like we were among friends.

I am excited to visit again and thank everyone at Diamond Mills for doing so much to make our stay special.

• Stayed December 2012
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is now our second stay at this wonderful little retreat and we hope to visit again in the future. Although this hotel is really nothing to look at from the outside (ugly rectangular box construction, retaining former significance as a paper mill) they have done a nice job turning this into a lovely boutique hotel. My wife is now labeling this place the Restoration Hardware hotel since the vast majority of their furnishings are from Restoration Hardware. It is true that they have got quite a bit to work on as most of the employees in this place do not have years of hospitality industry experience, they are doing a fine job improving.

First the pro's.
- Tastefully appointed rooms in Restoration Hardware furniture.
- A magnificent view of the waterfalls directly from your balcony.
- A delightful dining experience at The Tavern. I think this place does not get enough credit. Although they are not a "fine dining" establishment and many of the servers are relatively inexperienced, they offer a delicious selection, at somewhat reasonable prices and deliver through an honest attempt at courteous and attentive service. The chicken & waffles which they recently took off the brunch menu was one of the best I've ever had. Bring it back!
- Housekeeping was very thorough and the bathroom and living areas were very clean. This is still a rather new hotel so I hope they continue with the upkeep and maintenance.
- Nice touch with the in-room Keurig.
- Heated bathroom tiles. Just lovely

Cons
- Although part of SLH, they don't seem to know about loyalty travelers. They could learn a thing or two and upgrade their repeat guests, especially during the low-season when occupancy rates are low. During our first visit when the hotel first opened, the place was practically deserted yet we still were not able to obtain an upgrade. And on this occasion it was the same.
- The continental breakfast is sorely lacking. Does yogurt, a couple mini-boxes of cereal, mini-pastries and juice constitute a legitimate continental breakfast? I'm not looking for a full service station, but in this day and age when bare-bones hotels such as The Element and Aloft hotels can provide, breakfast sandwiches, eggs, bacon and the like, it's hard to wonder why this place can't provide a more complete continental breakfast.
- The bathroom amenities do not quite fit with the level of "luxury" they are trying to present. They are simply the same quality as one would find in a Four Points but re-branded as "Diamond Mills". Other high-end hotels in NYC offer toiletries from l'Occitane, Molton Brown, Asprey, Bliss, Bulgari, Aveda etc. If they want to demand higher revenue rates for these rooms, then an upgrade in these products would seem necessary. If not, then these low-end toiletries would suffice.
- No bathtub. Going away for a weekend jaunt outside NYC and no bathtubs doesn't make for quite the pleasing weekend away.
- Evening wine service was spotty and didn't offer any crackers or bread. Just cheese and wine? Didn't make sense.
- No outdoor jacuzzi, spa or swimming pool. They built a deck leading up to the falls. How about a jacuzzi? What hotel doesn't have one? Especially to enjoy during winter months?

Neither pro or con but just strange considering this place wants to be luxury.
- In room iPhone/iPad dock, but instead of Bose or some other high-end brand they choose iHome which is really cheap.
- Flat screen TV is pretty much a standard luxury item, but the size 32" I believe is just too small.
- Exercise room. It's nice they have one but it feels like a dungeon and the equipment selection and layout is just really poor. Any fitness junkies would be sorely disappointed.

This hotel has a lot of opportunity for growth and could be a really nice destination outside of their small market of equestrian clientele. I'd really love to see this place do well and thrive over the coming years.If they really want to be in the "luxury boutique" market, they could learn a thing or two from hotels such as JK Place in Florence or 137 Pillars House in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here for a night to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. We absolutely loved this hotel! We had a very relaxing stay. The property is brand new, the rooms are very tastefully designed and every room has a balcony overlooking the waterfall. The waterfall is lit up at night. If the weather was warmer we would have enjoyed sitting at the table on the balcony with a glass of wine. The bed was extremely comfortable, and I consider myself to be a tad picky when it comes to hotel beds. There is also a well stocked mini bar in the room which my husband loved. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and almost over eager to accomodate us. We ate dinner in the attached restaurant. The name "Tavern" is a bit deceiving, as the restaurant is not really a tavern and not casual by any means. We had a very good meal, food was nicely prepared, although a tad on the salty side. The lighting of the restaurant was a bit bright for our taste, they should dim the lighting for a cozier feel. The hotel is also a short brisk walk (I should note it is up hill if anyone has health issues) to a quaint little town with shops and restaurants, and a fabulous book store with new and used books. We spent the day shopping in neighboring towns of Woodstock and Rhinebeck. All in all we were very impressed with the property and would highly recommend!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stone Ridge, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My daughter and I attended the Sept. 2 wedding expo because we were interested in the Diamond Mills as a possible venue for her wedding. Manager seemed disinterested in providing us with much information, directing us to the website instead. Especially disapponted with the appearance of the wait staff, who wore wrinkled tuxedo jackets and shirts paired with black jeans or slacks instead of dress or tuxedo pants. One waiter even had on brown suede boots! Their sloppy, unprofessional appearance did not mesh with our vision of an elegant wedding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
West Park, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Beautiful property, surroundings were quite nice, however that is where the the good part of the story ends. Dined there this weekend, and by far, had the WORST experience we have EVER had in ANY restaurant in the United States. To begin with, we were seated at a table outside, sitting and enjoying the surroundings, when we realized that we had been sitting for 20 minutes before a support staff brought us a bottle of water and glasses. At this time, the hostess brought us a basket of bread, which we sat and enjoyed for awhile longer. At this time, the hostess took our drink order, as we had yet to see a waitstaff approach our table at all. After sitting for 35 minutes, we asked for the Maitre-d to ask why we were waiting so long, as the restaurant did not seem to be overly full. The hostess again came over and apologized for the long wait, brought our drinks, (45 minutes into our visit), and asked us for our dinner order. I specifically asked for any specials, to which I was told "There are none!" We proceeded to order a cheese board, two appetizers and our entrees. The cheese board and apps came out, and were quite good. Interesting pairings on the cheese board and very nice stuffed zucchini flowers and steak carpaccio. We enjoyed the view and our apps, and then I happened to overhear an actual waitress at a table nearby, listing all of the specials for the evening. I was not pleased, as there was a lobster special that I was especially interested in. I again asked for the Maitre d and again the hostess appeared, apologized for the long wait and stated that our drinks and apps were on the house. Our entrees soon showed up, and they were OK. Gnocchi was a little dry, risotto was not especially flavorful. The next time she came by, I asked the hostess if she was sure that there were no specials that night, and she stated that "No, there are none." I mentioned the lobster special that I had just heard of, and she stated that there was no such thing available. I again asked to speak with the Maitre d, however nobody came. A short while later, as the hostess was bringing our second drink order over, I noticed a small darkly colored object wiggling around under the gnocchi I had just lifted to my mouth. I was ABSOLUTELY STUNNED!!!!! Never, ever, in my life have I ever seen something moving in a meal I was served. The hostess quickly took the plate away, stating that it was likely an "environmental contaminant," presumably meaning that it had flown into my plate, as we were dining outside. She asked if she could bring us anything else, to which I promptly replied that I had had more than enough. A check was deposited on our table, we placed our credit card there, as all we wanted to do was leave!! The hostess brought the check back and told us that our entire meal was on the house. She apologized for a terrible evening, and stated that she hoped that we would soon return to give them another chance. Absolutely the worst dining experience EVER!!! So very disappointing, as I have looked forward to trying this place for awhile. There are many other nice places to dine in Ulster County, all worth the drive...but stay away from this disaster!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Diamond Mills Hotel? Share your experiences!