“Modest atmosphere and vibe, excellent food and drink” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Monroe, New York
“Modest atmosphere and vibe, excellent food and drink”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Having been enticed by the allure of an "ale house", 3 of my musical cohorts and I found this unpretentiously marked restaurant and ordered lunch.
The waitress was engaging, modestly dressed and courteous. She helped us choose our draft beer (of which the selections were a fair quantity) and we enjoyed what we chose.
The came the food. I chose the Roasted Veggie Sandwich accompanied by the Sweet Potato Fries. I have not had a better veggie sandwich or fries like that on my 56 years. I am a foodie, married an excellent cook, watch (way too many) cooking shows, have traveled to Italy (the world's food standard) and found that both of these items could not have been better.
The bread of the sandwich may have had garlic in the spread, the vegetables were roasted to perfection and were perfect in selection. The fries were lightly crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.
My friends' comments went from "delicious" to "excellent" to "phenomenal" when asked by our waitress.
This place is 5 minutes from the NYS Thruway, so any of you who want a great stop between the Adirondacks and home (well south of Exit 20) then you must include a stop at the Dutch Ale House for a meal.
Unbelievable food, and so unassuming.

Guilderland Center, New York, United States
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I went on a Friday night which maybe wasn't the best idea. It was crowded and noisy. The food, however, was unusual and fabulous. Our waitress was very busy and the tables feel cramped in the bar area, but i still think I would find my way back on a slower evening. The food is that good. We had appetizers and dinner and it all tasted great!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
NYC
“Terrific Place, Full of Character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This little bar/rest. on the main street is a gem.
Great food, and they make their own beer, two varieties, in a micro-micro brewery in the back. But when I asked about the draft beers they were the last ones mentioned - modest. Terrific wheat beer that they made. The barman when we were there for lunch was lively and charming.

Great Neck, New York
“Wow! No ordinary bar food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

The place, a normal looking dark bar environment, kind of tight warm patrons, friendly atmosphere. The food, out of sight! Never have I seen or tasted bar food that was turned up a notch! I did not know 5 star bar food could exist. It does at the Dutch Ale House. I hade the blue cheese burger with the most potent and tastiest blue cheese I've ever had. The fries are the real reason I bought a burger. Truffle & Parmasaian fries. Amazing! Ketchup would destroy these fries. I highly recommend and would go back in a here in a flash! Kudos to the chefs and wait staff!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Awesome food in a small town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

John is absolutely awesome. Doesn't hurt that his food is top notch too! Very friendly, very welcoming.

The award winning wings, on the mark. The hanger steak sandwich, incredible and flavorful. Sweet potato fries were crispy which is hard to do.

His Dutch Colonial Wheat beer...delicious and refreshing. Being from the city, this was a treat!!!

• Visited June 2013