“Pleasant Exprerience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Gideon Putnam

You added The Gideon Putnam to your Saves list
The Gideon Putnam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 Gideon Putnam Road, Saratoga Spa State Park, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 (Formerly Gideon Putnam Hotel and Conference Center)   |
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
Old Forge, New York
“Pleasant Exprerience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Attended a conference and stayed overnight. The Staff was friendly and polite. This is a historic hotel and quite lovely.. I retired early to read, I could hear people getting off the elevator and walking down the hall talking while I was still awake but had no problems while sleeping. My biggest compliment would be to the food service...there were app. 300 people at the conference and the Luncheon , (which was served buffet style) was extraordinary... . I've attended many conferences before and the food and food service was by far the best I have ever seen.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review of the Gideon Putnam, especially for our Food & Beverage, and Banquet Teams. I would have to agree - they are true professionals - they really know what they are doing. We hope to see you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Laurens, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was one of the best places I have stayed. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. It's a great place for a couples weekend getaway. I can't wait to go back and visit. I came home relaxed and refreshed. The receptionist at the front desk was very gracious

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments. It makes us happy that we could provide you with a relaxed and proper getaway. We look forward to your return!
Amawalk, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife and I were visiting the area and I wanted to find a place with character. This definitely fit the bill. I arrived in Saratoga Springs first and decided to visit the hotel prior to making a reservation. I was greeted by a woman that was tending to the gift shop and she was outstanding, providing some history of the hotel and relating very positive experiences from past guests. She suggested that I view a room. The front desk staff was equally friendly and accommodating. The room was very nice and clean, I was sold! My wife arrived shortly after and was very happy with the choice. I visited the lounge, again the staff was friendly and prompt. We also had the Sunday breakfast and found the prices reasonable and the food excellent. I would definitely stay at this property when in the area again and next time will treat my wife to the spa! Note, advance reservations are recommended for the spa.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding the great service you received from our staff. I am thrilled to hear that curiosity about our beautiful, historic hotel led to a wonderful stay, and it sounds like we will definitely see you again soon.
Dover Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

What a beautiful, lovely hotel. Old world charm and class. Upon entering the lobby, you are greeted with friendly and helpful staff, & a beautiful sitting area with overstuffed chairs and 2 fireplaces. We stayed in a king deluxe room. Our bed was comfortable, the room was immaculately clean and well appointed with in-room amenities. We had breakfast each morning in the on-premise restaurant. It was delicious and the service, again, was impeccable. We love this place! We were treated so well, we cannot wait to go back. Incidentally, there is so much to do in the area that two days was not enough.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are so glad to hear we left a positive and lasting impression. It is so true, there really is so much to do in Saratoga, and right here in the Saratoga Spa State Park. Hopefully we will see you again soon!
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Overall, nice stay - clean and comfortable room, two fireplaces in the lobby, restaurant on site. A couple of major issues that are not clear/easy for first time guests:

1. When making online reservation and spa services are selected, know that those are not guaranteed, must be booked directly with spa, and pricing is for 1 person even though multiple people on reservation. Don't worry about the day selected, it means nothing - call the spa directly. It's very confusing, and we almost missed out on spa services, which was the point of the trip.

2. The hotel is dog friendly, but when I called to confirm that we could bring a dog I was told we were in a dog-friendly room, but a request had to be noted, and was not guaranteed. Not wanting to risk it, we put our dog in a kennel and when we checked in the woman was surprised we didn't have our dog. She was very apologetic, but this was a major error by person confirming reservation and providing info (Linda, you REALLY screwed that up).

Hope these tips make it easier for new guests to plan and enjoy their stay.

• Stayed March 2014
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback. I am glad that overall you had a pleasant stay, but surely, it would have been better if your dog was with you. I'm so sorry. Delaware North Companies has properties all over the country, and so we use a central reservations center - I have shared your review with the reservations team so this mis-communication does not happen again. For Spa treatments, we do ask that you call the Spa to book a time, choose a male or female therapist, and to share any special needs or requests. Please accept our apologies for causing so much confusion. Should your future plans lead you back to Saratoga, we hope to have another opportunity to better serve you.
boston, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Having gone to Saratoga Springs for an even we chose the Gideon Putnam. It sits on or around a state park. Pulling in it looked very nice, very common for it's age. We were very happy with the staff and the bed comfort. The linen and furnitures were very nice. The carpet was just a bit worn, my bigger issues were the peeling glaze off the bathroom wall and shower tiles as well as the bath tub, it's just unsightly and looks dirty although it wasn't. The room was very clean but the bathroom was a big disappointment. Although not so much a problem at this time a year, you could hear a lot of noise from up above or in the hallways. The hotel wasn't at capacity but I'd worry about peak seasons. All in all it was a nice stay, I'd go back just for the comfort and staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
We are thrilled to hear you had a comfortable stay, and that our staff treated you well. However, please accept our apologies regarding your bathroom. We are a National Historic Landmark Hotel, and so it is important that certain features and fixtures remain. We have had the tubs refinished twice in as many years, and now we are looking at a second company to fix what the first company was unable to do. Thank you for your patience - care for a property such is this is eternal. Please come see us again soon.
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight after an afternoon of visiting relatives who live nearby. The grounds were beautiful. Our room was clean and quiet, and the food was good. We did not take advantage of any of the other services, so I can't comment. I would like to return in warmer weather when the grounds weren't ice-covered.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Even though your visit was short, we are glad to hear we left a positive and lasting impression. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Spring is only a few days away... hopefully that means we will see you again soon!

Been to The Gideon Putnam? Share your experiences!