I love historic hotels, and this one is a fine example of that. However, it needs some better care.
First the pros:
1. The setting is fantastic. It's contained in the Saratoga Spa State Park and the grounds are very nice.
2. The hotel itself is beautiful. Right from the moment you pull up outside, you are struck by the magnificence of this building. I arrived on a quiet Sunday evening and took the opportunity to walk through the hotel and explore. You can just feel the history oozing out of the walls and imagine how this property was many years ago.
3. The staff is top notch. Everyone that I encountered was very friendly and focused on making my stay better.
4. The food is outstanding. For dinner, I had a pumpkin ravioli in a white wine cream sauce which was stellar. For brunch the next day, the entire spread was very high quality from the smoked fish assortment to the excellent roast beef and I can't say enough good things about the pastries.
5. The technology was great. Each room has a very nice HD TV with more channels than many hotels offer. Also, the wifi coverage was great and I never had any issues with slow wifi or getting disconnected. The wifi coverage was better here than at many new hotels.
Unfortunately, there were several cons:
1. Inside my room there were signs of neglect. From the several marks on the wall to the paint chipping off the ceiling, the room was in need of a good cleaning and repainting.
2. I encountered 3 large bugs. I think they were coming in from one of the windows in my room, but I was very startled when a large bug landed on my shoulder as I sat in my easy chair watching TV.
3. The mini fridge in my room was inside a cabinet and rattled loudly whenever the compressor kicked on. On the plus side, I had a fridge, which is more than most hotels can boast.
I noticed that several reviewers have complained about bathrooms and other areas being out of date. Those reviewers apparently fail to understand that they are staying in a historic hotel, not a brand new construction. If you want updated, high tech, go somewhere else. If you appreciate the beautiful architecture and lovely scenery that is rich with history both inside and out, then there are few places better than the Gideon Putnam.
I always enjoy staying here and am very much looking forward to my next opportunity to stay at the Gideon Putnam.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Gideon Putnam Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gideon Putnam Saratoga Springs