“Good weekend get away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Albany, New York, United States
“Good weekend get away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We got a "Saratoga" room here for a couples retreat conference. The room was clean and bed was comfortable. Maid service good. You have to get used to the noise of the cars on the street. since the rooms are on that side. I would suggest if that bothers you, to request one on the rear of the building. Our biggest disappointment was probably the room service - we put our request on the door handle at night, and we never got any service for the morning breakfast. So we had to make a dash for the little store they have for coffee and whatever else we could call breakfast.
We did get take out lunch from the restaurant and that was good and fairly priced.

Room Tip: ask for rear of building
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
john f, Front Office Manager at The Saratoga Hilton, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Jeff D,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on TA. As many readers know, researching and seeking advice from travelers like you, can ultimately lead to a better experience.

Next time you book, please feel free to reach out to me first. I would be more than happy to try and make sure we can accomodate your needs!

Best,

John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Hilton should patrol floors on weekend nights to keep noise down. We encountered a lot of drinkers wandering room to room slamming doors and yelling or talking loud. Carrying open beers and being completely inconsiderate of other guests.One man was so drunk he went on a ten minute tirade screaming and cursing at his wife or girlfriend until finally security quieted him. And he was one floor below me. A guest should not have to call the front desk since this type of behavior is nothing new. Like I said a little patrol once an hour would be the right way to run that hotel. Not to mention the noise housekeeping generates at 8 am. I will not stay at another Hilton. Sorry. Even for free I would not stay at any Hilton owned property.
And their dog policy is a joke. Too many big dogs, and the owners are permitted to take over the lobby with large and numerous dogs. I had to ask 2 people with dogs to move away from my door at 7 am as they decided it was a great spot to stop and play with their dogs. Never again will I stay at a Hilton. The breakfast buffet was inedible, cold and poorly presented.

Room Tip: I had a suite and the noise from the hallway, especially slamming doors was intolerable at all hours...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AStowe, Manager at The Saratoga Hilton, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
John,

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand that noise was an issue during your stay; while we do have additional security and overnight managers available during high traffic periods - we regret that noise was disruptive to you. I apologize that you're comfort was interrupted by other guests and their four-legged friends and I have shared your review with our security team. I do hope the next time you return to the area you will consider staying with us again so we might show you the quality service and accommodations you deserve.

Valleystream
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Staff was wonderful. Expensive breakfast buffet($17pr person),mid priced menu prices. Room was clean. Hotel Mgr is a gem of a man. Good location for shopping,restaurants,social activities,train station. Nice bar,drinks expensive BUT the CHEF is AMAZING...food is terffific!!!! His name is Gregory and he can cook..OMG!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sooze1ValleyStream,

Thank you for writing such a great review on TA! I'm not sure which our our managers you met, Shawn or Andrew, but both are great leaders that help provide direction and motivation to the rest of our staff, which in turn provides you with a great experience!

Also, thank you for taking the time to recognize Gregory! I will be sure to let him know that you took the time to recognize him in a TA review and we'll reward him the way Hilton knows how to treat their employees!

We look forward to you coming back and Happy Holidays!

Best,

State College, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a conference. I'm a diamond member, but no upgrade, no paper, and only the cold breakfast. Really minimal for a Hilton. Facilities were dated, but functional. While this hotel has a conference center, it is not what I would call a business-class hotel. Staff was friendly, other than the night manager who seemed put off that I asked for a full breakfast as a diamond....oh we'll....I would stay again if another conference was he, but likely wouldn't stay here otherwise if in town. I would seriously look at other options anyway...

Stayed November 2012
FLDorman,

Thank you for the review. From what you wrote, I know that we were just one small thing, here and there, from making your experience so much better.

Unfortunately, this is my only sounding board to reach out to you because when you write a review, TA protects your confidentiality. At your earliest convenience, could you reach out to me so we can review your last stay and discuss about your next one. As a diamond member, we value you as a treasured guest, and you should expect nothing less.

I hope to hear from you soon and Happy Holidays!

Truly,

New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I travel a lot, and stayed at hundreds of hotels all over the world -- among them were a handful of Hilton Hotels. It is with great disappointment that I say The Saratoga Hilton is one of the worst hotel experiences I've had in my life. Where do I even begin? The sink in the bathroom dripped all day and night, the toilet when flushed would not stop running...fixed only by jiggling the handle. The blinds that covered the windows looked like old, rolled up sleeping bags you'd find in your parents attic. Just to raise and lower them was a chore you'd think more suitable for the middle ages, not the 21st century. Then there were the beds. The room had two double beds which were both very uncomfortable, and to add insult to injury, creaked like the steps in a haunted Victorian mansion. You'd think that'd be the end of it...but hang on, it gets worse.

On Tuesday I slept in late...till 1 p.m. to be exact. I readied myself to leave for the afternoon, and called the front desk. Here was the conversation. "Yes, hello I'm in room 245, could you please send housekeeping up to clean the room?" "Why yes sir, I'll contact them and make sure that your room is the next one they get to." "Thank you." Keep this in mind. When they cleaned the previous day, they had NOT emptied our garbage can. So, at this point the garbage can was filled to the top and in desperate need of removal.

I return at 4:30 p.m. As I'm walking down the hallway I thought to myself "wouldn't it just be hilarious if I open that door and the room is untouched? It would just be the icing on the cake". I opened the door. Housekeeping NEVER came. I think my blood pressure shot up 50 points. I immediately call the front desk and there was barely any apology or regret in their voice. They simply told me "well, there's not much we can do since housekeeping has left so we can let the porter come up and tidy it up, but he won't do as good a job." So yes, the PORTER cleaned my room about as well as your teenage son might clean his room. I even overheard him tell his co-worker "ummm...we don't have any garbage bags...". A hotel that doesn't have garbage bags? Are you kidding me?? He did somehow manage to secure one however, but the statement had my jaw on the ground. It's a shame about this property, because I've stayed at Hilton's that did a solid job, but this one is a disaster and I most likely will avoid ever staying at a Hilton again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kingston New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The Hilton was a decent hotel and, as others stated, is ideally situated so that the shops are very near. The room we had was on the first floor at the end which was good because there were no sound issues from other rooms. One gripe I have with all hotels is that I am allergic to down feathers....the bedding was down. A request was made to have it removed at time of reservation....it was not...but this is typical of all hotels. The room was modern and had a sitting area (couch, chair and ottoman) and the TV was in that area. Watching it from bed would be almost impossible. I could easily connect computer and phone for charging. Getting on to WiFi was easy. There is room service and a small restaurant off the lobby. there is a fitness room-small and an indoor pool. One thing I liked is that in the gift shop they sold muffins and coffee/tea. There are all kinds of restaurants within a short walking distance from the hotel. So that is convenient if you didn't want to go to the restaurant for coffee. The staff were courteous and efficient. There is parking in the back and we didn't have to pay because of the conference we were at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I don't think we could have found a better location for our visit and location was the key for us. This motel lends itself to exploring the town, dining and drinking without moving your car! It has a little of an industrial look - one of the town bartenders told us it used to be hospital (don't know if that is true) but it does have the look of a non-hotel property that has been converted and compared to many 'global' Hilton properties it is different. However, the cleanliness was fine, the staff friendly and helpful, and overall if / when we return to Saratoga Springs, this is the hotel at which we will stay (no question about that)!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Saratoga Hilton? Share your experiences!