“Good Quality Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Albany, New York
“Good Quality Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

For the second time this year, we played tourist in our own town. I was surprised that most of the Saratoga hotels were sold out on the weekend before the track opened, but I tried 3 or 4 different hotels and they were all booked for the weekend of July 14.

We paid $199 a night, which I think is a lot for a Holiday Inn, but it was a good room. It didn't really show signs of wear and tear and the bed was comfortable, no problem with parking (and we had two cars) and overall a nice stay.

I have stayed at two or three other hotels in Saratoga and the Holiday Inn was on par with any of them.

Could they have real drinking glasses in the bathroom and better quality towels? Sure, but it is a Holiday Inn and it was just fine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Naperville, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

It's one thing to spend $400 a night for a hotel...it's something completely different to spend $400 a night on a run down, outdated, less than clean Holiday Inn...shame on me!

Great location in a great town - however, this is a $69.99 per night hotel. I realize it's track season and everybody has to put on their American hat and gouge whoever is foolish enough to spend the money, but come on. I stopped in some of the other nearby hotels and they were 30-35% lower in price with similar quality. I laughed when I got my $1,200 bill for 3 nights in this place.

The much hyped breakfast was brutal. Service was slow, the breakfast food on the buffet looked awful (didn't taste it - left after the orange juice came 10 minutes after we sat down...ended up going to the Country Cafe on Church St. - Outstanding!!), and there were more little kids running around than at Chuck E. Cheese...

Hope to plan better next year if I run up for a couple of days of racing...will stay anywhere but here. The fact that Holiday Inn was one of few hotels in town that still had rooms available tells you all you need to know..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Longshots,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. It is nice to hear that you found our location convenient. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. I apologize that the food served and the service fell below your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHG Care
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I must have been the only one NOT in town for opening weekend at the horse track...

Imagine my surprise to find that the hotel ended up completely sold out and the town packed with people.

I stayed in a room with two double beds on the third floor, right next to the elevator. Even with that location, the room was quiet and I had a great night of sleep.

Clearly the room had been renovated at some point in the recent past, with granite countertops and a flat screen TV. Everything was clean - though I did find a hair in the bathroom.

As has been noted, the bathroom was quite small but I thought it was very functional - no problem getting ready in the morning.

The hotel offers a restaurant discount for frequent Priority Club guests, and the day I stayed they were offering a buffet breakfast, so I visited the restaurant for it. Both the main restaurant and the bar area were full and service was a bit slow, but the buffet had a far wider selection than I expected - multiple types of scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffle sticks, eggs benedict, omelet station, fresh fruit, etc. All of it was at least "good" quality - some quite delicious - and it was very affordable.

I might have given this hotel a higher rating but the parking situation was crazy. The entire lot, on all sides of the hotel, was full, as well as all of the street parking. At around 8pm, I found the last street parking spot near the hotel - and I'm not even convinced it was a legitimate spot. Not sure where anyone arriving later would have parked.

The best part of the hotel, though, is its excellent location. Never needed the car once I parked it. It's only three short blocks to the downtown area, with a very nice park right behind the hotel.

If I had to find one more nitpick, it would be that the lobby had only one tiny elevator, though I was never waiting long for it.

Overall, I had a good experience at the hotel, and I'll certainly consider it again when back in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We loved this hotel! We booked it on Hotwire for pretty cheap but it would have been a good value even at the rate they were charging on the hotel's site. The staff were incredibly nice and helpful. Our room had a king-sized bed and was nicely updated and was plenty big, even with a roll-away bed in it (room for toddler's toys and our suitcases). The pool and the hot tub were lovely--we were there with our kids and had a blast with them in the pool. The bed was very comfortable. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, either with my whole family or with just my husband.

Room Tip: People have complained that the rooms were small, but our room with a king bed was quite spacious.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Saratoga is expensive so the HI was we thought a safe bet for our family. Well, it is slightly less expensive, but the step down in quality wasn't worth the savings. Rooms are VERY small, which is fine for 2 people but not good for 4. Bathroom was tiny. It's just an old hotel-- there's no way around it. Well located and staff was reasonably friendly. Breakfast was basic and what you would expect.

I'd pay more for a little more space.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Saratoga Springs, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear FuerteUSA,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I'm delighted to know that you like our location and found our staff friendly. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This Holiday Inn has a beautiful park "Congress" Park, right behind it, making it convenient to walk a dog.
But racing season which starts yeterday, July 20, gets a bit crowded and parking becomes a bit inconvenient, though the hotel has plenty of parking and if they run out, all you do is go to the front desk and they will make sure you get parked.
There are many very, very good restaurants, very nearby and down the Broadway strip. There are trendy shops, plenty of art, many museums, and the exciting horse races.
I experienced 98 degree heat and humidity this week and therefore could not do much with my very fury dog.

Room Tip: I was traveling with my dog so they gave me a ground floor room where they try to put all people wit...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here overnight for a party that would be happening in the hotel. Very nice room, but small. No extra space for sure. Flat screen TV. nice. My girlfriend who was hosting the party got upgraded to a suite for free and it was huge. The reason I couldn't give it 5 stars is the parking is ridiculous. Not nearly enough spaces for the amount of people staying here. There were some spaces off limits because of red cones and when I asked about it my question was just ignored. (Later on the cones were removed and these spots filled)This seemed to be a trend. I later asked about the lack of air conditioning in the hallways to another employee and was also just ignored. They talked to me like I hadn't even asked the question. Air Conditioning also spotty in the party room. This is summer people, you have 100 people dancing, you need good A/C.
Restaurant was reasonably priced and the food was very good. Except for the dessert. My berry tart in the height of berry season was some frozen affair with frozen blueberries on it. Not appetizing. Food at the party was very mixed. Some good some horrible. Very nice employees. I wouldn't rush back but I also wouldn't say don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Saratoga Springs? Share your experiences!