“This Place is OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
San Antonio, Texas
“This Place is OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This Place is OK, but could be great. We visited family and decided to stay at this best western because their rates were extremely good considering it was Horse Racing season in Saratoga Springs. The hotel is fine with a nice pool and an adequate, complimentary breakfast. The rooms are comfortable. The staff is friendly. There were a few missed opportunities regarding customer service that could have made our stay fantastic. The biggest was that the latch on our door did not lock. I'm not sure when this started, but we arrived on Wednesday and noticed it on Sunday morning as we were headed to church. We called the front desk and was told the maintenance man would not be there until Monday so we would have to wait or move to another room. Well, obviously we needed to move to another room, but we had to wait until other guests had checked out. We were fine with that, but it was inconvenient and we had missed church. I wasn't offered any kind of compensation and I didn'te request it because I wanted to see if it would be offered or discounted on the bill. It was not. In fact, Penny at the front desk told us that after we had moved they check the door and it did lock. That's kind of interesting because as we left later that day, I walked by the room and was able to open the door without a pass key. Hmmmmm. Then on Monday, we left for the day to visit with family. When we returned we noticed that the door to the new room was not closed because the deadbolt was extended. We can only assume that housekeeping had forgotten to return it and did not notice that the door remained open. We know we shut and locked the door because we had checked it due to the issues with the other room. I'll be sending the hotel an e-mail directly since I tried calling the front desk and no one picked up. However, with that said, the hotel is right next to Saratoga State Park which is fantastic and convenient to drive into Saratoga Springs which is wonderful. If the staff can up their customer service just a bit and pay a little more attention to detail, then this place would be the place to stay while visiting Saratoga Springs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
bwsaratoga, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Let me first take the time to apologize. Because of the recent lock issue, we have went over with our staff how important it is to lock a guests door when leaving. This mistake will never happen again. The lock that you had a problem with has now been fixed by the repair man. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 518-584-2350.

-Mo Hussain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Antonio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hotel is fine and the price is very good for the area and the season. We had a problem with our door latch and had to change rooms. No discount was offered. Then housekeeping left the deadbolt extended and our door was left opened until we returned. Fotunately, nothing was missing. The Hotel is good, the staff just needs to pay a little more attention to detail. They are pleasant and the hotel is nice and in a good location.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwsaratoga, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Let me start off by apologizing. It is unacceptable that any member of our house keeping staff would leave a persons door open. This is a breach of our guests safety, and I will be going over this with the member of housekeeping who was responsible.

-Mo Hussain
Cuttingsville, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here last week for the third year in a row during our annual trip to Saratoga. My sister is in a wheelchair and the handicap accessible rooms are very comfortable. The staff here is really nice and have been so helpful to us. They come out and assist me with lifting the wheelchair out of the car trunk and let us into the room very early when we arrived late morning. Everything is very clean and the breakfast in the morning has a fair variety. The hotel is only a few miles out of town and quite close to the Saratoga Performing Arts Center and the State Park which surrounds it. The building next door, mentioned by another reviewer, is being renovated and that will improve the look of the property. We'll be back every year!

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

We always encourage our staff to be helpful to our guests when they are in need, so I am very pleased that they helped you with the wheelchair. We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us, and hope you come again!

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 518-584-2350.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey

Boulder, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed one night while visiting family in town. A fine enough hotel: clean enough, quiet. Wished it had two sinks (one outside bathroom). Not really near anything and nothing special. No serious complaints either, but would look for something else if I came again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
bwsaratoga, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Unfortunately some times our location can be a downside for some guests. In order to get to downtown you cant walk, but we do offer Taxis that are only about 8$! The plus side to not being downtown is you don't have to listen to all the town traffic which can be a bit of a distraction during sleep. We are however the closest hotel to SPAC, which a lot of people enjoy.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Ok room, slightly dated, but good size and clean enough. The hot tub wasn't working, but the pool was fine - although there is a building next to it, which is in the process of renovation?/or left to collapse, not sure which! Breakfast not great, but very busy so we, and several others, took our coffee to the pool surround. Ok for a night stopover. A bit out of town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I am sorry for not meeting your expectations. We are currently working on adding some better items to our breakfast menu.

The old house is currently under construction and will hopefully be competed within a few months.

Oakland, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel every year for the past 5 or so years as a transit stop on our way to the central Adirondacks. Our last stay was in late July of 2012. We will be leaving soon for Saratoga and another stay at the Best Western "PLUS" before heading north.

As a transit stop, this hotel does pretty much as well as any other. we are not looking for luxury here, but a relatively comfortable bed in a fairly quiet room and the ability to have our dog with us. This hotel meets all these criteria.

We have never had much interaction with the staff except on the phone, so all I can say is that our dealings with them by phone and email have been fine. The hotel is reasonably clean, though I'll never forget the year I found a tick crawling across the floor of our room. Fun! The air conditioning lacks in many of the rooms from what I've read here, but we have never had that problem. In all the years I have stayed at this hotel, the pool has NEVER been open for use during our stay.

One reviewer mentioned that there is also a very dilapidated building on the same site as the hotel and this is true. It definitely takes away from what little ambience the location may have, as the hotel is stuck out on NY Route 9 on the "wrong" side of the park. you either have to walk into town taking about a 2 mile hike through the park and along Broadway(very scenic, at least!), or drive into town. The BBQ place mentioned in one review is across a very busy 4 lane local road. At night you would be taking your life in your hands crossing! Typically, since we know Saratoga fairly well, we take a walk with the dog into town to get snacks and sandwiches at Putnam Market.

Since we stay here during racing season, we also pay an absolutely exorbitant amount of money for our room. Rates during "the season" are usually 3 to 5 times anything you might expect to pay at any other time of year and it's just awful! Other (better) hotels in the area may be worth the price, but not this place at any time of year. Problem is, other hotels take reservations on a year-to-year basis and so it's very hard to find a room at another place in the area during racing.

The breakfast bar is about what I would expect for this level of hotel. Not well stocked or maintained, spotty care to freshening things like coffee and supplies (cream, butter, jam, etc.), but we don't usually have breakfast there, opting instead to go into town for a nice cup at Starbucks and some grocery shopping before heading north.

I have read many of the reviews posted here. I want to mention that they all have a bit of a "cookie cutter" tone to them, right down to using the very same language in most of the replies. This indicates to me that although the reviews may have been read by someone from the hotel, there is little consideration of the complaints or observations stated and little commitment to work hard to improve. Throwing the ball back at the customer by supplying phone numbers for contact is poor business practice and basically says they don't care enough to acknowledge or do anything about the problem(s). I would like to know exactly what the "PLUS" means in the Best Western lexicon, since although this place is adequate to most needs, I see nothing particularly "PLUS" about it.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from Route 9 (the main road)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwsaratoga, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2013

I would like to personally thank you for your suggestions for our hotel. I will make it my mission to respond with my personalized responses.

The old house you saw during your visit is currently being totally remodeled, but for now we understand it doesn't look to appealing. But when its finished we know it will be beautiful suites for our guests to stay in!

Next time you come please speak to the manager so we can make sure your getting the best available rate possible!!!

Jermyn, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We arrived late but the wonderful receptionist was great to us and very helpful. I need to find a pharmacy since I had sinus bad . It was too cold to use pool Darn and it looks nice but we found the location great near everything and the Cleanliness of the rooms we liked and comfortable beds and the breakfast was very good. Downtown we loved the Olive Oil shop... We did not have much time passin through but this was a nice stay .

Room Tip: We stated on the first floor and the woman at the desk we really appreciated her help .She should be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you your kind words!!!

I will let the lady who checked you in and out know what you said about her! She will be very pleased! We really enjoyed having you guys and would like you to give us a call any time you would like to come up to Saratoga!

BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Inn? Share your experiences!