“Chickened Out” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Danbury, Connecticut
“Chickened Out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Was in Saratoga this weekend at the track and almost went to Hattie's at the track but my friends said go to the original, which I did. I was expecting the most outrageous fried chicken I've ever tasted, a batch that would put my dear southern grandma's to shame.

Rest assured Granny, Hattie's didn't even come close. There was no flavor to the chicken, no seasoning. Had to salt it up and pour on lots of the hot sauce, which is good by the way, to liven it up and make it worth finishing. Cranberry coleslaw was tasty.

In the race to be the best chicken in town, this horse or chicken in this case never made it out of the gate. Maybe I'll try it again after track season???

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Yum!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Hi I'm Lillian and I'm 10!! I love fried chicken. Hattie's is very good me and my family went there together looking for somewhere different to eat and then we saw a cute little restaurant right at Saratoga. When we got into the store I was amassed. There were so many pictures and decorations. Then we knew we were going to order chicken. When we got the chicken there portions we huge!! We had to take some home with us! The food was so southern it was very good! I would defiantly go there again! Hope u enjoyed!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“Best fried chicken ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stumbled onto Hatties and we are very happy we did! This 75 year old institution features New Orleans style cuisine. My husband, who is a fried chicken "junkie" says it is the best fried chicken he ever had. Dont miss the crab cake, which, although not a huge portion, was as fresh and interesting as you can get. Great Mojito from the bar!

Visited July 2013
Hudson, New York
“HADES is a better spelling for this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I bet you eat better in hades than this place, so many people eating there would make you think it is going to be good, place packed, wait staff rushing around, smiles on all faces .OK lets start with no DRINKS I think this is where we went wrong, you need to be desensitized. start with the corn bread and biscuits, corn bread dry dry dry ,then the hush puppies (code name dog food) they were made from the corn bread mix plus a extra measure of dry, chicken livers greasy, rice and beans, add fried chicken, when you order just get the fried chicken let them keep the rice, beans (both just from a package and can) ok now the jambalaya this was a bowl of more dry over cooked paste, this place is truly a trip to HADES.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Albany, New York
“Hmmm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I will start by saying that the fried chicken was excellent. I will go on to say that Hattie’s is not a restaurant for me. I recently ate here with a group of friends who went to the Saratoga Race Track. This is a very busy time in Saratoga and knowing this, the plan was for the track group to leave early and all of us to meet at Hattie’s. We did not arrive together; the two groups were about 15 minutes apart. The first part which included me could not be seated until the whole group arrived. We were sent to the bar…. For me this is the worst. When I go to a restaurant I want to be seated, I absolutely do not want to be sent to the bar. Because we were early, it did not appear that busy.

When the rest of the group arrived we requested to sit outside. There was no table large enough for our group of 5 in the open area and we ended up in a dark corner under some kind of tent near the bar. The table was small and cramped. We had to use flashlights to read the menu. As I said, not a restaurant for me…

The fried chicken was excellent. I do not usually eat fried food, but the waitress told us that this was Hattie’s signature dish. We had green fried tomatoes and fried okra to share as appetizers. Both were very good. Sides of potato, corn, collard greens, cranberry coleslaw were all average. Our waitress was very nice.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere