“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Maryland
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

There is a lot of hype surrounding Hattie's, which we fell right into. It is not a bad place, simply not as good as the hype. I found it outrageous to have to pay for gravy for the mashed potatoes. Why not just sell mashed potatoes with gravy?

The fried chicken was good, but needed more spice. It was cooked well.

Our server kept forgetting to bring a beer, which got annoying. She was nice, but became overwhelmed.

Get there when it opens, as it fills up!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Hattie's has lost it's soul”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Specialty food, like southern fried chicken, that is average rates a poor review in my book. The menu is uninspired. The gravy had no flavor whatever. All would be tolerable if it hasn't lost that "feel". I was socked to see Hattie's in rt 50 dwelling among McDonald etc. Commercial and it feels it -- right to its bones on Phila St where we ate and were served by its all white staff.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Albany, New York
“Bland food, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Went for dinner for my son's birthday in May. I have eaten at many Southern/Louisiana style restaurants including the famous Sylvia's in Harlem and Emeril's in New Orleans. I grew up on Southern cooking. This wasn't it. The macaroni and cheese was supposed to have several cheeses in it -- it was just watery and bland macaroni. The chicken was greasy and tasteless. The vegetables lacked flavor. The collard greens tasted like medicine. On top of a disappointing meal, the waiter messed up my bill and I was charged twice, causing a problem with my bank account. When I contacted the manager, I was foisted off the "accountant". She was rude and condescending to both myself and my bank representative. She eventually stopped taking our calls and the issue was never resolved. Go elsewhere, this place may have once been great but the new management does not live up to the hype.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston,MA
“Not the best choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I wish we had eaten at one of the other restaurants in downtown Saratoga Springs. Hattie's is famous for its fried chicken but we found it lacked taste and was simply very greasy. We should have gone to one of the other (though more expensive) restaurants up the street and enjoyed a more flavorful and varied dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Saranac, New York
“Great!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My sister & I were spending a day in Saratoga "exploring" things we had never seen or done before. Neither of us had been to Hattie's and we were curious to try especially since they had beaten Bobby Flay in the first chicken throwdown. We know why he was beaten. A light, not spicy, crispy coating, fried to a golden brown covered moist, juicy meat. We also had the beignets which were, warm, light yeasty & coverd with powdered sugar. We ate at the "branch" establishment near Wilton Mall. The service was prompt, pleasent & helpful; the employees busy...no texting or cell phones; and the establishment very clean & neat.

• 5 of 5 stars Food