“Serious, well made Italian with friendly quality service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Schenectady, New York
“Serious, well made Italian with friendly quality service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Very good southern Italian restaurant.

Nice setting. Large room. Tall Ceilings. Too loud. Very good flavors and excellent pasta. Super Tuscan at $45 was delicious and well worth it. Veal Marsala was well balanced, great veal and tons of mushrooms.

Tiramisu was light, flavorful and the whipped cream was delicious.

Really nice meal and the waitress was the owner's daughter Sage.

Will return.

Visited May 2012

“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Excellent food, atmosphere. Lots of cool characters hanging around, old timers and classy folks. Love it

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arizona
“Fine Italian Food and a Great Steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I am in Saratoga for two to five weeks every racing season, and this is my favorite "every night" place to go. The NY strip steak here is as good as you are going to get in Saratoga which to say outstanding. Pasta with clams (red or white sauce) is a favorite. They usually have two haddock dishes, and both are very good. Ample tasty bread and butter. Good appetizers. The bartender is excellent. I prefer sitting in the main room rather than the tented annex, but it racing season take what you can get. I usually go as soon after the track's last race as possible, and I usually don't have a long wait. I don't make reservations only because I usually decide at the last minute whether to go or not on that night, but I always go at least twice a week. Service is professional and friendly.

Visited August 2011
Saratoga Springs, New York
“A Great Italian Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We were celebrating my son's high school graduation and he requested Italian food. We had heard good things about Pennell's and so made reservations for the following night. We found the restaurant to be unpretentious and comfortable. The waitress was prompt and courteous.When she saw that we were scarfing down the excellent bread and flavored butter, she made sure to give us more at least twice! The food was delicious, the portions were large and the tomato sauce was excellent. Not too acidty or too sweet. The salads were made of mixed greens and the garlic ranch dressing was thick and tasty. I had the Eggplant Parm and Pennell's does it right. The edges of the eggplant were crunchy, not mushy as so many other restaurants serve. Delish. I had a taste of my son's Ravioli and it was chock full of Ricotta cheese. Others in our party had the Lasagna and Clams. Everyone in our party of 7 were happy with their meals. We will definitely Come back again!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great Food...BUT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

The reservation was made 2 weeks prior. When we were seated the air conditioner was right under our table. When I spoke to the hostess (Sage was her name) she seemed irritated at me and told me, the menu she covered the AC with would direct the air out away from under the table! Well it didn't. The table cloth was blowing all around us, she was not a pleasent person to be a hostess at a restaurant. I also noticed her being a difficult person to 2 other ladies that came in the restaurant. Otherwiswe the waitress was wonderful and the food was great!

• Visited May 2012