“Very Enjoyable!” 5 of 5 stars

541 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Forno Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: VanDam
Description: Anchoring Saratoga's vibrant downtown Forno Bistro is a family-owned bistro that offers a variety of rustic, Tuscan-style food rooted in tradition. Our chef's use only the freshest seasonal ingredients to prepare dishes with respect to their flavors, appearance and aroma. The menu is sophisticated but approachable, expressing the sense of hearth and home that defines the Tuscan style of life. Forno Bistro's rustic, Tuscan-style food is hearty and unpretentious with sophisticated flavors rooted in tradition and always open to new interpretations and adaptations. Many of our dishes are greatly influenced by the use of the wood-fired oven: homemade pizzas, sauteed calamari, and wood-fired towers of vegetables. The oven is always the inspiration.
Schenectady, New York
“Very Enjoyable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We ate at Forno Bistro recently and had a wonderful experience. We made reservations and arrived a little early, expecting to sit at the bar for a bit, but they were ready for us. We loved the table and the decor was very seasonal. Our server was very professional and attentive. All of our meals (party of 4) were excellent and timely. The bread (served piping hot) was a highlight of our experience. The only concern was that we would have like some dipping oil or butter served with the bread. There is olive oil and balsamic vinegar on the table to make your own, if you want.
The desserts were excellent and definitely large enough to share. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends and family.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Our Savior!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was with my very pregnant wife and some out of town friends when we came to Saratoga for an early dinner and were turned away from the first restaurant we went to. We ended up at Forno which had a 40 minute wait. The manager and hostess took pity on me and tried to find us an empty table at their sister restaurants. We decided to wait, to which the accommodating staff sat us in about 20 minutes. Our waitress was outstanding. The food was great and I would have drank the tomato broth from the mussels appetizer if I had less manners. Thank You!

• Visited November 2013
Albany, New York
“What a waiter shouldn't do”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

On Saturday October 26 th I went to Forno's for dinner in Saratoga. This wasn't our first time. Past experiences were fine. We were seated very quickly which was nice. Our waiter Nick was shy and quiet. We could hardly here him as the restaurant was full. My wife placed her order for the lasagna . Much to our surprise she was served a veal dish. We told the waiter that this was incorrect , but he told my wife she ordered this and she would have to wait 20-30 minutes for the lasagna. She ordered a different dish suggested by the waiter, he said I'll get a glass of wine while waiting. Dinner came and all was forgiven till the check came. We were charged for 7 dinners ( the veal dish, the glass of wine) and they were it was nice of them to charge us a 20% tip. My wife chose not to complain to the management, though a hostess said let me get the manager. He took her name and said our corporate office will call you on Monday. No response. We can't wait and already told, many friends and family of our experience. Never have we felt guilty placing an order for food as we did at Forno's ...........

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut
“I give it a C-”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I had 7PM reservations on a Friday. We were running behind from CT, so called at 5PM to bump our rezzies to 8PM. We arrived 20 minutes early, fully expecting to wait. However, we were not seated until 8:20 or so...things continued to go downhill from there:

- The restaurant was COLD. The door to the patio continued to open & close all night, ushering in frigid air that you could feel from the dining room.

- It took FOREVER for our server to visit our table; when he did, he reeked of cigarette smoke.

- The most time our waiter spent with us all evening was when he excessively scrutinized my boyfriend's ID after carding him for a glass of wine (we're in our mid-thirties and already had drinks from the bar).

- My soda (brought over from the bar) went un-refilled the entire meal.

- We were considering appetizers, but it took forever and a day for our waiter to come take our orders....instead we had a second round of the free (and delicious!) bread in the meantime since we were starving.

- The bus girl who filled waters/brought bread was surly, bratty, and unwelcoming (no finesse to delivering bread - just kind of dumped it, smashed glasses on the table, had a very unpleasant demeanor).

- We never saw hide nor hair of our waiter throughout our meal, then continued to wait with empty plates to request the check. Mind you - the manager was standing RIGHT by our table doing absolutely nothing for 5+ minutes. He should have at least checked-in on tables to see how folks are enjoying their meals...

The only positives: free parking in a side lot and pretty decent food (I had pasta pomodoro, my boyfriend had the chicken w/prosciutto and veggies). And the tasty bread.

We were looking for an Italian restaurant in SS and selected Forno Bistro based on the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. My recommendation: skip it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Albany, NY
“Great service, great food, awful management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I don't really know what to say here. Our waitress was wonderful and the food was above average, but our reservation was totally botched. It seems the hostess and manager need to learn how to properly run a restaurant on a busy night. It's a shame really. A great place is being wasted through incompetence.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere