“Consistency and great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Consistency and great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have been to The Local many times with a lot of different people. The place is nicely laidback ... no attitude, no overly friendly hostesses -- a "come in, make yourself at home" attitude that is well matched to the warm atmosphere and service, with no fuss. This is at lunchtime, with kids, sitting and eating at the bar, being with a group of 6 or 7, dinner, late night ... to always feel like that consistency is there truly makes it a "Local".

Try the sweet potato fries, the Ploughman's and the Dublin Clucker ... favorites always!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Saratoga Springs, New York
“not that good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Heard so much about the fish so I finally went and tried it, not sure but I think it was precooked and sitting around for awhile. It was a busy night but that should be no excuse for this place, my fish was soggy and the fries were luke warm, food arrived in such a short time that there was no way it was fresh cooked, felt like it was hurry up and get your food and get out need the table for the next customers. I am a local but this place is never welcoming and the staff is never friendly, this was my last visit I tried several times to give it a chance, not sure how this place makes it.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Greenwich, New York
“small pub atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The Local has a small pub atmosphere with good food & drink. The fish & chips are my favorite, but a steak is not out of the question. A variety of beer and specialty drinks are available. The Local is children and family friendly but it feels like a bar. My only complaint is the seating. The tables can be a bit uncomfortable, and cramped. Worth a visit but I do not recommend small children.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Always good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Trip Advisor asked where we went for New Year's, we went where we go every Friday night, and other times - The Local on the corner of Beekman and Grand in Saratoga. Staff always friendly, and its the best pub menu and good food around - - - best fish fry ever - - and a rotating selection of great craft beers. We keep going back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
NY
“maybe they don't like non-locals??”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I thought this was going to be a place I'd love, but it wasn't meant to be. We were totally ignored for the first ten minutes we were there and eventually got up to find menus ourselves. Our waitress was neither friendly nor welcoming. It's a tea house yet I never ended up getting the tea I ordered.

The food was fine, but I really felt the entire time that the waitress was doing us some kind of favor by waiting on us. Besides being largely ignored and having to wait a long time for everything (even though it was not at all crowded), I don't think some of their charges were/are reasonable either. The lemonade my son got was in a small child-size plastic cup and I was surprised to see that we were charged the regular beverage price of $2 for it. (The adults at the table next to us had beverages in glasses that were easily twice as large as the plastic cup my son got.) It was also shocking that if your child wants apple slices instead of fries (which my child did), they charge you $2 extra for that (and it looked like a 1/2 apple's worth of slices not a whole, which made it even worse). Ridiculous up-charge.

The restaurant itself was nice-looking, clean, and a little funky. It appeared to be filled with locals, and they seemed to all be happy (and receiving more attentive service than us). We're not up in Saratoga all that often, but I don't think I'd visit this place again unless I went with a regular who was promising me that we'd have a better experience. What a disappointment our visit was.

• Visited December 2013