“Nice staff, shame about the bedroom.” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   231 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866   |
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newbury, England
“Nice staff, shame about the bedroom.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

My husband and I have mixed fellings about this place. Let's start with the "goods".

Really friendly staff in the restaurant, bar and reception. My husband was delighted with the free bike hire. The restaurant food is really good - super "home cooked" breakfasts and whether a la carte or bar menu, the evening meals are elegant and good value.

Now the "bads". In common with all other hotels in the area, you get charged an arm and a leg for staying here in racing season and so we expected a good standard of accomodation. The bedroom was disappointing however. We were on the ground floor with a view of the gravel car park, there was no wardrobe (a bit of a problem when you are staying 2 weeks!) and the maid service for the first 10 days was very poor - the room was clean enough, but lights were left on, pyjamas just dumped on the floor or a chair, empty shampoo bottles left in the bath and not replaced. Wet bath towels just refolded so still soaking wet when we came to use them that evening. When "front of house" is so good, this really lets them down. In fairness, the maid service picked up in the latter two days of our stay, but I am still trying to get over no wardrobe and a gravel car park view for a fortnight - you'd think they'd manage better for a long term guest!

• Liked — The friendly, helpful staff in the bar and restaurant.
  • Disliked — The view and maid service in the bedroom.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

Stayed here twice on a tour of the USA. 45 different hotels in total. This was the best by far. As far as character goes this has it in spades and the town is beautiful. Borrow a bicycle and cycle through the parks up the road [they had a tandem!]. The restaurant is excellent. The bar is lovely. The staff were cool and great fun.
By the way if anyone recommends you try a cocktail with the word Frog in it, don't. We drank a jug...

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

We recently stayed overnight in one of the suites in the brick house behind the hotel. The sitting room featured a cozy fireplace, and was furnished with antiques. The bedroom was comfortable and also delightfully furnished and decorated. However, the spotlessly clean bathroom was our favorite! Recently done over, it featured a huge jacuzzi tub and a separate steam shower. We wished we were able to spend more time enjoying the room.
Dinner at the restaurant was a treat! We wanted to sit in the bar area and this was not a problem. Our waitress and bartender were professional, courteous and lots of fun! Our meal was excellent and we especially recommend the rack of lamb. Breakfast in the morning was lovely as well, featuring many homemade dishes.
The location is perfect. We walked everywhere and enjoyed the lovely Victorian homes and beautiful shops in town. We will definitely visit again!

Stayed April 2008
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

I stayed at the Inn this past weekend and was very happy with the facilities. I had changed last minute from the Holiday Inn, since I wanted a more historic stay, which was the same price.

After a three hour drive from Boston, I arrived early for check-in, but was told my room was available. The size and cleanliness stood out immediately. While I know some people call the facility dated, I call it charming. AND, it's very fitting of Saratoga. No complaints from here! Beds are comfortable, showers are hot, and there's free WIFI.

Later that night, I went to the bar for a drink and was amused by the great bartender, Winnie, and many locals. I felt so at home and look forward to my next trip!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

We are frequent visitors to the Inn at Saratoga, and find it hard to believe some of the things that others have written! The rooms are each unique and interesting- and immaculate!! We especially love the coziness of the carriage house, but the convenience to the delicious breakfast in the Inn can't be beat! The staff are all friendly and helpful, especially Adam the G.M. We enjoyed the music in the summer they had dancing in the bar) and the comedy club in the fall! Our meals were not only delicious, they looked beautiful as well! Staying at the Inn makes an ordinary weekend seem like a true vacation. The beautiful antiques and cozy bar have a feeling of Old Saratoga that carries the spirit of Old Saratoga into our lodging and makes for a very romantic and yet restful break from the daily grind. We would highly recommend the Inn at Saratoga for anyobne who wants to experience the history of Saratoga today!

Stayed December 2007
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

Do yourself a favor and avoid this over-priced, run-down facility. You'll be much happier if you stay at the Holiday Inn across the street.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — terrible customer service, run-down rooms, insect infestation, odor
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
tias, General Manager at The Inn at Saratoga, responded to this review, December 8, 2007
In response to watch out for the bugs. I find this review disheartening because one person can damage the reputation of a fine establishment. I personally, along with the front office manager and a housekeeper, thoroughly inspected the room in question and found no trace of bugs. The room was inspected corner to corner and floor to ceiling. We are not a run down facility. We are a historic hotel that has been kept up by rennovations and do not pretend or want to be a Holiday Inn (nothing agains Holiday Inns). I think our pictures will testify to that. In the 11 years I have been General Manager at The Inn at Saratoga this is the only person ever to mention bugs in our hotel.
Long Island, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2007

I recently stayed here, and was very disappointed with their check-out policy. Their internet connectivity went out in the middle of the night. When I informed them, they kept telling me they were working on it. I lost 4 hours of work time during the night and by 6am when there was still no progress other than empty promises, I checked out and went elsewhere. Even though the following day was a Tuesday, they refused to refund my booking since they couldn't fill the room. I don't know what you have to do to cancel a room if 6am isn't early enough! The room was OK, but a bit worn around the edges. I travel a great deal - but I sure won't stay here again.... BTW... Hotels.com was no help here either. I booked through them and they won't refund either. I won't book through them again either.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — internet, room quality, check-out policy
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Inn at Saratoga? Share your experiences!