“A beautiful train ride” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Scenic Railroads, Landmarks
More attraction details
Owner description: The Saratoga & North Creek Railway offers passenger service between Saratoga Springs and North Creek, NY. With sightseeing excursions, special events and on-board dining, there is always something unique happening.During the winter months, the passenger service offers the Gore Mountain Snow Train with transportation to Gore Mountain Ski Resort as well as a host of activities for the non-skier to relieve cabin fever in the cold weather.Around the holidays, the railroad operates The Polar Express from Saratoga Springs - a magical round-trip journey to the North Pole. Cookies, cocoa and caroling elves delight young and old as the classic story comes to life.
Boston, Massachusetts
18 attraction reviews
“A beautiful train ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

First you need to know I love train rides. We took this one in April prior to the tree getting their leaves. It was a pretty ride. The small town of North Creek was fun. Very very small town with no cell service. I would recommend going on a Saturday instead of Sunday. We went on Sunday and a fair amount if the shops and restaurants were closed.

Visited April 2014

Queensbury, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Polar express!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Took the kids on the Polar Express. It is worth it to pay for the 1st class seats. My son and daughter loved it.

Visited November 2013
New York, New York, United States
“Canceled themed train - reason sited: old trains employed by the line can cause danger passenger conditions”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I had planned a few days in Saratoga based around the a bunny express themed train set for April 5th. Made reservations, bought Amtrak tickets, put in for time off of work, etc. in preparation. My young child was very excited to go.

The railway website is relatively useless (as others have complained on TripAdvisor), so it kept reporting that no trains were available in April. I would check back every few days to see if the bunny train tix were finally available. I would get emails from the railway saying they were, but time after time, no luck.

Today I called the railway and learned that they just canceled the April 5th train. Naturally I was upset and asked why. I had two different representatives tell me that they were down a train because these "old trains can cause unsafe passenger conditions."

I'm upset for my child because he will be very disappointed to miss out on the experience, but certainly relieved that I didn't put him in harm's way by riding these faulty rails and trains. I recommend others avoid this "old and dangerous" railway as well.

Visited March 2014
Schenectady, New York
“80th anniversary of the snow train”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Four of us signed up for this event which took place on March 1st, we left the Saratoga station on the 7:00 am train. The ticket price was only $19.34 pp and this also included 2 hours of tubing at Gore. We all had breakfast in the dome car while we enjoyed the beautiful scenery. I was surprised because the food was excellent and the portion size also. We were shuttled to Gore, it turned out to be a beautiful day, and we had a great time tubing. We ended up at the Copperfield for a quick snack and then got back on the 5:00 pm train. The train staff were all excellent, friendly and helpful. I honestly don't have a bad thing to say about this trip and I can't wait to go back to North Creek on this train again. Thanks for everything! Mark S. is a great Conductor and Sara thanks for all your help! You're the best!

Visited March 2014
26 attraction reviews
“Train was late again and Northpole Props are Cheap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Another bad trip on Saratoga Northcreek. Two years before the Northcreek early Fall trip was a disaster which was not limited to delays (no air conditioning, limited bathrooms, boring experience). As others have stated the hot cocoa was delayed and watered down, cookies hard, Northpole decorations included a few very fake looking cardboard props and six cheap floodlights.

How they have a 3.5 rating is beyond me?

This is an overhyped train ride that is a 1-2 star event.

Visited December 2013