“FILTHY, FILTHY place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saratoga Springs
Gateway Motel
You added Gateway Motel to your Saves list
260 Maple Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866   |
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
NYC,. NY
“FILTHY, FILTHY place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My family stayed at the Gateway many times when I was a child (in the late 80's) and it was a very decent clean place (back then it still had a pool which has since been filled in ...and I honestly cannot imagine why a motel would get rid of a POOL). After a very long hiatus of more than 20 years my family went back to the Gateway out of nostalgia ....dear God they were right when they said "you can never go home again". The place is FILTHY and the furniture AND mattresses....sheets...blankets....pillows....are the SAME as they were in 1987 (and probably the same as they were in 1977). Dead bugs were everywhere ....stains (I don't want to know from what or who) were on the walls next to the beds ....the only lock on the door was a button you pushed in on the doorknob..which unnerved me because the cleaning guy saw us check in and then let himself into the room to ask if we needed anything and then let himself in AGAIN at 11pm to check back (he then cornered me outside trying to make me give him his tips right then in advance). We decided to get another room somewhere else but ...it being track season...there were no vacancies. So since we were stuck 200 miles from home we went to the mall and bought our own sheets...blankets to put between the filthy mattresses and our sheets...new blankets to put on ourselves and new pillows and pillow cases ....along with a few big cans of Lysol spray for the whole damn room...and we managed for two nights (with one person sleeping in a chair in front of the door because we didn't trust that the creepy cleaning man wasnt going to come in the room in the middle of the night...and no I am not exaggerating in the LEAST). The owner is rude and dismissive and the place is run like a flop house.I do know it has the same ownership as when I was a child ...but obviously something must have caused her management of the place to go downhill tremendously! To sum it up this is a FILTHY...HORRIBLE...honestly FRIGHTENING place to stay. Seriously sleep in your car before you consider the Gateway...and if you don't have a car then consider sleeping in the woods...it will be cleaner!

Room Tip: Sleep in your car instead
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

My brother needed emergency housing and was placed there by the county (long story). When we arrived there, there was barely any blankets on the bed, the tv didn't work, and the room was freezing (55). We checked the beds and mattresses and found echo skeletons embedded in the crevices. The longer we stayed there the more leery we became of the place.

While my brother continued to look over the room he sent me to find the manager. When I found her, she seemed instantly defensive and was fully aware the room had problems and was cold (51). She was so defensive she told me not to speak and only would speak to my brother regarding any issues. Fortunately, my brother came up from behind and repeated his concerns. I followed up with an inquiry if we could exchange rooms and was met with, "I thought I told you I only wanted to speak with your brother and you need to shut up". After put in her place, the owner went on to share a few choice words about homeless people and then some. If it wasn't for her they would have no place to go. Sorry, that's no excuse to abuse people.

Ad we left the hotel we soon realized we left his voucher behind that would pay her for his stay. We went back for it and was again met with conflict. My brother had to record the event to catch her refusing to give back the voucher. Eventually, the manager's maintenance man handed over the forms when he threatened to call police.

As I drove away, I couldn't help but think how many desperate people she has done this too. Tearing down people at the most bottom of their lives. I shoved back thoughts of a homeless woman and her child stuck in such filth and the cold that owner had to offer. No empathy at all in this owner's mind.

To the Gateway owner, again, I don't care who you are and what you have to offer, if you are helping the homeless don't give them anything less than adequate or treat them disrespectfully. You don't know their story or preaumably know how they've come to be there.

In summary, the woman is not helping but only taking advantage of the poor both financially and emotionally.

• Stayed December 2012
Williamstown, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is one of the most unpleasant experiences I have ever had. I was hesitant to get a room here when I saw the spider in a web behind the Hindu deity on the reception counter. But I thought maybe it might be Charlotte or one of the 3 million gods, so I continued. On finding the price to be above what I would consider reasonable for a motel that is far more intimidating than the Bates Hotel, I opted to find another, but the owner melodically told me that I would not find another even near her price as it was racing season.

"I told you, you'd be back!" she cheerily intoned as I sheepishly returned. A trip back to the office ensure that I had some towels (clean, but worn) in my room. Another trip provided me with a bar of soap. A big one, as they were out of usual supplies. I might have used the entire bar had I dared to enter the shower, a sketchy affair with the requisite chipped tiles, grime, etc.

The bed. I was afraid to sleep in the bed. I was certain it contained bed bugs, or if not them, something that I didn't want in contact with my skin. I finally opted on sleeping in an oversized canvass bag that I had in my car with a towel between my head and the pillow. I escaped without any bites.

Decor was appropriately dismal, and the floor, tables and other areas had the stains one would expect in a place that was given no attention and let to fester. It was actually perfect for the set of a horror movie. In fact, MOTEL HELL had nothing on this place.

If you want to find a place to die and possibly not be found for a few weeks, might I suggest The Gateway? Or if you want to experience what must be worse than living in a favela in Rio, try The Gateway. It certainly is a portal to another existence.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
West Milford, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Some friends and I were in town for a concert at SPAC. Options were limited because of a car show that weekend. The only place that had availability was the Gateway. Dear reader, if you find yourself in this same predicament, do yourself a favor: sleep in your car. Sleep in the woods without a tent. Anything would be better.
Yes, the exterior is terrifying, but don't judge a book by its cover. Instead, pull down the bedspread and see the dead bugs. Try to flush the toilet or take a shower; neither works. Is that a roach? Yes. Yes it is. And there's another. And another.
And what happens when you politely explain to the owner/proprietor that these conditions are not worth $175/night? She screams at you, curses, insults your family, etc.
It's hard to believe something so terrible could be located so close to a town as nice as Saratoga Springs. We found the conditions so appalling, we decided to pack up and drive to Clifton Park, where clean hotel rooms abound (though it is about 30 minutes from SPAC).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Gateway Motel? Share your experiences!