“Quick trip to Saratoga” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Thorobred Motel

Thorobred Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saratoga Springs
Thorobred Motel
You added Thorobred Motel to your Saves list
South Broadway - Route 9, P.O. Box 195, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866   |
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Saratoga Springs
Swampscott, Mass.
“Quick trip to Saratoga”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Location and price are the two keys for the Thorobred Motel. Only a couple miles from both the harness track and the flat track. Had a room with one double bed, room size was good, bathroom is tiny, offering only a stand-up shower (more like a phone booth with water). Mini fridge and microwave in the room. Old, 13-inch CRT TV in room, does offer good cable channels. No housekeeping services during my stay. Furniture looks like it was picked up at a flea market from the 1970s, but it is serviceable. Make no mistake, this hotel needs a lot of remodeling and care, but if all you need is a place to stay for a great rate during racing season, this works. It is not nearly as good as the Robinhood Motel or even the Top Hill, but the rates are nearly $50 less per night during the racing season.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lowell, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I recently stayed here for a 3 day weekend (July 5-7) and was nervous going in. That said, for the rate we paid during a concert weekend at SPAC where all other hotels were grossly overpriced and/or booked---the Thorobred more than did the trick. Janet in the office was awesome. Kept out of our hair, let us know to contact her if we needed anything, had the AC cranked when we arrived etc. This is not a luxury motel...but dont let the exterior scare you. You can sleep safely here in clean rooms. Yes its old, dingy, outdated....but its a tiny motel on the outskirts of a luxurious town. I probably wouldnt take a girl here....but I know if there is ever a band at SPAC I want to see....or a race I want to check out...the Thorobred will be my go-to in the future b/c its a great affordable place to rest your head if you don't plan on being in your room much. Go in expecting the worst and you may be pleasantly surprised. Go in expecting the HYATT (where I was going to stay) and you'll be miffed. For $100 vs $300...you can sleep here safely and comfortably.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We had to stay here for a couple weeks. When we first got there the room seemed damp and smelled musty. We vacuumed the room and cleaned the bathroom our own way. We never slept under the covers. But they were very clean. The manager Janet was awesome and the owner was great too. Unfortunate they are no longer open but they are trying to build a new building. So look out for that!!!

• Stayed October 2012
birmingham, al
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

It was one of my favorite budget hotels i've ever stayed at. Nothing too luxurious, but a friendly staff. Definitely worth the price. I stayed there for a concert at SPAC, and love the convenience factor. Motel had a nice outdoor area with a gazebo where we grilled out and threw the frisbee. If they are open next time i'm there they can count on my business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Southington, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I chose this hotel because I was on a budget. I liked the weekday package they offered for the Saratoga horse racing season.

When I checked in at the office, the motel's condition dismayed me so that I was tempted to turn around and drive the three hours back home. I didn't because friends expected to meet me that night.

But my room was terribly depressing. Thank goodness I didn't expect to spend much time there. Also, when I drive, I take my own air mattress anyway because I don't sleep well on hard beds.

My room reeked of mildew. The rooms had no phone. Dingy, dated time-warp decor except the lamps all had new shades - and the cellophane from the store, Peeling wall paper in the bathroom.

I will grant them that the linens and mattress were spotless. However, the main window curtains by the table bore a dried dark brown stain that looked a lot like blood or a hot fudge sundae mishap. ( I sure hope it's the latter, but I wouldn't bet on that.)

I stayed next door to an elder couple, regulars, if you can imagine. Like me, they weren't there for the hotel but for the track and the racing and a budget place to sleep. However, the recent removal of phones from the rooms and some other issues with their bill had soured them, too.

Little did I know that just spending $60 more would have gotten me a less dismal room closer to town.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. Go to Stga racing during the week.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
thorobredmotel, Manager at Thorobred Motel, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
We are sorry to hear about your experience at our motel in 2010.

We are a seasonal operation only. This season, we went through all our rooms thoroughly to make a pleasant stay for our guests.

We were glad to hear that you noticed that our linens were spotless.

Yes, we are a budget motel & don't compete with luxury Hotels but we like to keep our rooms clean.
Albany, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

The hotel is not at all what we expected.It smelled like an old camp like Mildew.The Water was very slimy,like you could not rinse it off.
For the price we paid for this hotel,we thought it would be decent seeing how it is in Saratoga Springs.
Was very dissappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Utica, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

This is the worst motel I've been in. It's old, and the first thing you notice when you open the door is smell of mildew that knocks you over. Water is slimy, blanket appeared to have dried body fluids on it, other blanket looked like spots of dried blood and it appeared to be on the wall too. Remote for the TV didn't work and the cable came in fuzzy.

This place is gross... you will be miserable if you stay here. We went to a concert and then decided to drive home 2 hours away instead of staying there. it should be condemned!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
thorobredmotel, Manager at Thorobred Motel, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
There is no mildew smell. Guest had a smoking room, because all the non-smoking rooms were already reserved. A little Lysol would have helped the situation. Our water is not slimy. It is naturally extra soft water without the chemicals. There was no blood stain on the wall & blanket. In the morning, our maintenance man had replaced the air-conditioner with a new one; while removing the old one, rusty condensation dripped on the wall & blanket. Maintenance man forgot to tell the housekeeper to clean the wall & change the blanket. Freshly washed linen is always used for all our guests. TV cable was slightly loose & remote needed the recoding. Guest could have asked the front desk & they would have taken care of all the issues.

Been to Thorobred Motel? Share your experiences!