“Loved the Brunswick” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Brunswick at Saratoga

You added The Brunswick at Saratoga to your Saves list
The Brunswick at Saratoga
143 Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 (Formerly Brunswick Bed and Breakfast)   |
Oceanside, NY
“Loved the Brunswick”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

We stayed at the Brunswick between July 4 (our anniversary) and July 6 and it was a wonderful experience. Carol and Kirk, the owners are two of the most hospitable hosts I've seen. One of the most value added features was the small kitchen upstairs with a microwave, sink, refrigerator, crockery and cutlery and even some popcorn handy for use by the guests.

We stayed in Room 3 (A bit on the small side) which had a cute balcony overlooking the main road (Union Ave.). As a light sleeper I was afraid that the heavy motorbike traffic on the road might keep me awake. But to my relief most traffic dies down by 11:30. But by 6 a.m. the water truck comes by to water all the plants in the divider. But I'm an early riser. So no big deal.

The bed and bedding were luxurious and he many windows are a joy for someone like me who loves to stay close to nature. The bathroom well lit again with a large window.

Carol and Kirk served the most outstanding breakfasts (plenty of choices even for a vegetarian; Carol makes her own cereal--really delicious and healthy) which begins at 8:30 a.m. Coffee is served by 7 a.m. I think. Anyway, when I asked Kirk on July 4 night if there was a supermarket nearby so I could stock some OJ for the morning in the fridge, on his own, he volunteered to leave some juice (premium, no extra sugar added) for me in the fridge and he did. This really came in handy for me when I returned from my early morning walk in the neighborhood. Next night too without my asking there was juice in the fridge for the 6th morning. which I didn't need as I had not got up too early that morning.

This B&B is very close to the racetrack and so in the morning I could watch the horses during their exercise.

Another nice touch was the two bottles of Saratoga Spring Water in the room when you check in.

The only complaint I have if you will was the hardness of the water. I'm used to the wonderful New York City/Oceanside, NY water and so any water of less quality grates on my nerves. Hard water leaves a filmy feel on your skin, which I simply don't like. Of course, Carol and Kirk can't do anything about the water that flows through their pipe.

Most likely I'll go back only to Brunswick when I go to SS again.

Thx Carol and Kirk for making our trip such a great exp.

Ro.

• Liked — Attention to detail by the hosts and going the extra mile if need be
  • Disliked — The water quality
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Natick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

My boyfriend & I went to Saratoga Springs to see Dave Matthews, and chose the Brunswick house to stay in based on TripAdvisor reviews. The location was perfect - easy to get to and only about two blocks from downtown.

We thought we hit the jackpot when Kirk's dogs joined us in the dining room for breakfast. The owner has two wonderful little dogs who seem to be able to read who's a dog person and who isn't. They're well behaved, letting me scratch their heads but not begging for food. So the dogs are definitely a plus if you're a dog person.

Another great touch was the guest kitchen, where we could refrigerate a case of beer and store & reheat leftovers.

Ultimately, what really made this a great stay was that Kirk went the extra mile when we were overwhelmed by the crowd at SPAC. We attempted the short drive over to the concert, but the lots appeared to be at capacity so we called the B&B to see if they could call us a cab. Kirk immediately offered to take us over himself. I never would have expected that, and really appreciate his generosity.

Kirk & his staff do a phenomenal job, and I would wholeheartedly recommend this B&B to anyone heading to Saratoga Springs.

• Liked — The great staff
  • Disliked — Small room (though I knew we were booking a small room)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

Kirk and Carol are so sweet and informative about the area. They even made breakfast for us when we got up late! You can be sure the rooms are spotless and clean as well as in good working order-TV in every room (if you even have time!). The bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get up and they have two of the cutest dogs running around the Inn. Bring your own drinks and sit on the porch enjoying the summer evenings-they encourage it! This was the BEST B&B I have stayed at. I was welcomed and made to feel comfortable every time I walked in the door.

• Liked — Kirk and Carol the caretakers and proximity to "the main street" Broadway
  • Disliked — No pool...
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Ventura
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

We couldn't have stayed in a more beautiful yet comfortable location. You couldn't be closer to the race track either--right across the street! It was only minutes from beautiful downtown Saratoga too, and the walk there was like doing a tour of grand homes.
The propreitors of the Brunswick made us feel like honored quests. The breakfasts Carol made were incredible. Truly the best meals we had during our entire stay in New York.
They helped us with our rental car and took us to the train station. Kirk even fixed my husband's wheel chair for us. Such service! The Brunswick is excellent for handicapp access. The room was perfectly equipped which included a large bathroom with a place to sit in the shower. Everything was spotlessly clean and well apppointed.
The Brunswick is one of those places where you say to yourself, "I could live here".

Stayed June 2008
South Wales, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

The Brunswick B&B is our favorite B&B in Saratoga Springs, NY.

We have always been made to feel very comfortable and welcome there. We are treated like family.

The beds are so comfortable that you won't want to get out of bed in the morning! And the breakfast there is divine. Loved the cranberry/walnut granola. Carol should package it and sell it!

We look forward to visiting there again the next time we're in the Saratoga area.

Cathy and Bill

Stayed June 2008
New City, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

My friend and I wanted a peaceful and soul-nourishing weekend away from our normal routines. We escaped to Saratoga and were pampered at the Brunswick Inn. From the moment we got there, Carol and Kirk were the most amazing hosts. We were showered with attention. Our room was spacious and comfortable. We really enjoyed relaxing on the porch and watching the world go by. The Inn is situated close to the downtown area and the path to the main street is dotted with beautiful Victorian homes. The breakfast was amazing, especially Carol's homemade banana walnut muffins. No need to sneak an extra muffin, as no one is counting how many you have!!!! Kirk is very knowledgeable about the area and offered great dining suggestions. We also loved Java and Jesse, their two dogs who are extremely lovable. We are planning our fall excursion and will certainly be returning to the Brunswick Inn.

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — Nothing I didn't like
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

What a wonderful mini holiday! My college-aged daughter and I spent a long weekend at this fabulous B&B enjoying the friendly hospitality, quirky fun Victorian decor, lovely inviting beds, clean and well designed bathrooms, great selection of old and new movies (with popcorn!), fascinating book collection from the early 1900s, and moon gazing from rocking chairs on the upper porch.

Most especially we loved the breakfasts! The food was incredible! Everything was homemade, including the smoked trout and smoked pork, rosemary/currant muffins, real old fashioned oatmeal, omletts, eggs Brunswick, beautiful fresh fruit, great coffee, and on and on. Every morning was different. Every dish was exquisite. Always healthy, balanced, beautiful and delicious. (The cookies set out at night on the weekends were also a delightful treat!)

The proprieters were so friendly, helpful, gracious and fun. Driving back to my daughter's university, we discovered her next day's classes had been cancelled, so we turned right around and drove back for one last night! Thanks!

• Liked — breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Brunswick at Saratoga? Share your experiences!