“Truly unforgettable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Adelphi Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saratoga Springs
Adelphi Hotel
You added Adelphi Hotel to your Saves list
365 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“Truly unforgettable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We decided to make a college admissions visit more fun with a stay at the Adelphi. It was unique and fabulous. Some of the details and human-operated elevator reminded us of our favorite WDW ride, the Tower of Terror, which added to the fun. The staff was pleasant and very helpful. We ordered cappuccinos in the evening in the bar and the waiter carried them up to the 2nd floor piazza for us. Lots of nooks and crannies for sitting, giant flowering plants everywhere, indoors and out. The continental breakfast was very good (yogurt, fruit salad, croissants, coffee cakes, cereal, juice coffee - no cappuccino in the a.m.) We loved the location with the racing excitement. Our small suite was small, the bed was a little hard for me with my bad back, but firm. We heard about the ghosts - and that new owners had bought the hotel 2 weeks ago. Hope it doesn't change a bit, unless they want to add pillow top mattresses.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Mahopac, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was once comped a suite in the Plaza Hotel in NYC and I've never stayed in a more charming hotel than the Adelphi. The staff is professional and friendly. The "piazza" (a veranda above Broadway), the tranquil pool, and extensive areas for sitting are all lovely and not to be missed. Some of the sitting areas are outside, some inside and some sort of in between. I'm not a great sleeper and I slept very well in the comfy beds. I'm looking forward to visiting again. This hotel might not suit everyone's taste as has it has a strong personality all it's own. If you're looking for your standard Hilton, this won't be it. It also would not be ideal for someone in a wheelchair. But if you want a lovely B & B like experience in a boutique hotel, this is the place for you.

Ipswich, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We really enjoyed our one night stay at the Adelphi. The staff were wonderful, our room had its own balcony overlooking the street with comfy chairs and table. Our suite was lovely, clean and old worldy without being stuffy. We enjoyed the back garden for drinks and dessert and the pool was a big hit with our sons. I loved this place and will stay here again.

Montgomery NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were greeted by an attentive and professional young man. In fact, all the hotel personnel with whom we had contact were friendly, helpful, and attentive. Room was exquisitely appointed with plush bath towels. Beds were very comfortable. Our balcony was spacious and spilling over with flowers and greens. Location was excellent. We could walk to Caffe Lena and all the wonderful eating establishments in Saratoga. Can't wait to return.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife and i recently stayed there overnight for a quick weekend getaway in Saratoga Springs. We had a small suite which was quite cozy. We were greeted at the front desk by friendly staff members. We were told about the elevator, but since our room was just one floor up we opted to just walk up the stairs. Stairs and floors creak, but what else would you expect from a hotel that's over 100 years old? Wasn't a problem for us.

Wi-fi was an issue. Had trouble connecting, and trouble keeping the connection; so I gave up. If we were staying longer I would have opted to tether my cell phone to my laptop for an internet connection.

The hotel doesn't have parking; which for us wasn't an issue. We found a spot on the street around the corner. There are free all day lots, but we were only there for a short time; so overnight street parking was just fine. One of the all day lots was closed for construction, but it looked as if the construction was almost completed.

Room had AC and a good size TV. The extra sitting room was nice to have, though we didn't take advantage of it only being there for one night. But it was nice in case one of us wanted to read or go on the laptop without disturbing the other if they were sleeping.

Breakfast was included; a small buffet featuring cereals, coffee, tea, fruits, yogurt, and pastries. We ate in the open air garden in the back which was nice. The pool is also in the back. Smaller than we imagined. Again, being there for only one night we didn't have time to use it. But it was nice to know it was there. They do ask that you cover up and not walk to the pool in your swimsuits.

The hotel itself is quite amazing. There's a nice history of it in a little binder in the room. Decor hearkens back to the Guilded Age. There's nightly turndown service. The piazza on the first floor looks over Broadway; great place to read, have a cocktail, or just relax. Being right in the middle of town is a bonus; no need to drive anywhere. Unless you have to; such as going to the racetrack, or SPAC, or Saratoga Park.

Would definitely stay there again.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights coming back from Niagara Falls to Boston. It was the end of a 2.5 week holiday travelling up the Maine coast to Quebec City and then Montreal down to Niagara Falls and back to Boston to return home back to the UK.

We'd wanted a nice hotel to finish our holiday on and we selected the Adelphi based on reviews. On arrival there was no bell hop and we were left to unload our cases from the car and when checking-in I got instructions on car parking - what a pain! I can't believe the hotel can't come to some agreement with a local car park and have parking nearby for its guests - when staying in Quebec City they had a pass to the local car park that guests could use during their stay, for a cost of course but it meant that guests weren't having to drive round trying to find a parking space which in all the streets near the Adelphi was for only 2 hours. Although if you got there shortly after 5 you could stay till 11am the next day as the parking was from 09.00-19.00 and you got two hours at each end.

I quite liked the escalator and the fact it had to be hand-operated by staff to use it. We were on the third floor but walking the stairs didn't feel a problem as the hotel was so lovely it was nice to see everything on your way up and back.

Our room was at the front of the hotel and a little noisy - it seems that every 10 minutes a Harley Davidson is cruising up and down the street in front - much to my husband's delight, but after about 11pm I got a bite bored of the noise! We had a small suite with double beds and it was a lovely size and beautifully decorated and very clean. Wi-fi was an issue though, having to keep logging in and getting quite a poor reception.

We had drinks both nights at the bar and took them up to the second floor which had a lovely space overlooking the street with lounge seating. The drinks didn't seem over-priced but the bar staff seemed very bored and lacked any kind of customer service.

When sitting in the lounge area of our room while my husband was dressing the door opened with a key and it was another guest who then looked at the number on the door (26) and realised he'd come to the wrong room - but his key also allowed him into our room! This was a serious security issue for me which I raised straight away with the reception staff. I didn't get a response but on checking out I got a reduction on the rate and then realised this was probably why and asked what was happening about it - I was told the General Manager was talking to locksmiths but didn't feel that anything was actually being done so please be aware of this and make sure you get a safe key incase this also happens with other keys in the hotel, unfortunately I was so shocked when the other hotel guest stood in the doorway I didn't think to ask him the number of his room so others could also know which rooms have keys that open each others suites.

Breakfast was OK nothing great but it wasn't awful.

We loved the hotel itself and apart from the car parking and the security issue we'd recommend to others.

saratoga,ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The hotel is beautiful! Walking into the lobby you feel like you are truly in another time period or on the set of an old movie. I have enjoyed having cocktails or coffee and dessert in the back garden for years. However, this year the hotel looks better than ever, but the cocktails are weak, and dessert is terrible. On my first visit this year they didn’t have the cookie so I ordered a slice of pecan pie. It was served ice cold, on an ice cold plate. The server must have opened the fridge took out the plate that already had a presliced piece of pie and removed the plastic wrap and served it. It tasted like it came out of the freezer section of a grocery store. I was with friends and decided to give it another try, this time I ordered the cookie, same thing, it was a big dark partially frozen hunk of cookie, One friend ordered the carrot cake, and the other, the lemon tart, was to tart. If they are only going to serve a small selection of desserts they should really do it well or not at all. Will I go back? Yes, the atmosphere in the back garden courtyard is worth it, but I will stick with coffee.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Adelphi Hotel? Share your experiences!