“"Casa is back"” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Saranac Lake, New York
“"Casa is back"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

A well know local restaurant with a great beginning that fell on hard times. Recently rehabbed and reopened by new owners. Our first time back was a treat to find that shrimp chimis and margaritas meet the old standard. Our grown children will be delighted to come back home to find "Casa is back"

Visited August 2014

Albany, New York
“More $ than expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

It was a cute atmosphere, having the lower level bar area was comfortable for a larger group of people. I didn't eat there although the beer was over-priced.

Visited August 2014
Canton, New York
“Great dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We went to the Casa for dinner last night with friends. My husband and I had been there shortly after re- opening with new owners and I was not all that impressed. The food didn't seem as tasty as the previous Casa menu. Well, last night I have to say they got it right! We all enjoyed our meals. My husband had a chicken chimichanga, I ordered the chicken tostada, our friends ordered the duck quesadilla and the chorizo chiliquille. The only negative thing was that the chorizo dish was not hot. Our waiter, Jesse gladly took it back to the kitchen to heat it up. It came back piping hot. We would definitely return to the Casa for another meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Bel Air, Maryland
“Well Cared For II”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

From the moment the Hostess asked how long we had been waiting for her until the last check in from the young waiter, everyone seemed to care how Chips are fresh made, both corn and flour, and come with two salsas, which (we were quickly told) were different than the sauces on the menu items. True that! The plates to share should be shared, preferably with many of your close friends. The cornbread bruschetta was an interesting twist on a classic, arriving in a cast iron pan freshly baked. My wife's tacos were served in a stainless taco rack, and were full of fresh ingredients and tastes. I think her favorite was the caritas; I loved the spicy slaw on the fish taco, obviously homemade and featuring fresh blueberries. Trust me, it was amazing, I had enchiladas, including shredded beef and duck adobo fillings. The duck was superb -- try anything that has it! The waiter was attentive and informative, letting us know the progress of our orders on what was a busy night.

What you will not find is a pile of Spanish rice on one side and a pool of refritos on the other side of the plate. It is food made with good ingredients and proper seasonings and decidedly not Tex-Max.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Syracuse, New York
“Summer fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

This restaurant has very pleasant personnel (and physical plant) that seems to be trying to do well. Unlike many places in tourist towns where they seem to tolerate their guests and just take the money, Casa del Sol folks, from the tender of the bar, the server and the owner making the rounds, were enthusiastic and caring. Our server, Jeff, was attentive and professional. Overall this was a very nice experience. I am glad to see the place reopened and wish them success.

• 4 of 5 stars Food