“Awesome Place to bring your family for vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Gauthier's Saranac Lake Inn and Hotel
488 Lake Flower Avenue, Saranac Lake, NY 12983   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Saranac Lake
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Awesome Place to bring your family for vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

I would like to first say THANK YOU to the entire staff at the Saranac Lake Inn on Lake Flower. We had stayed for 6 nights and wish we could of stayed more. The excellent staff made us feel like family. We felt right at home! We used everything the motel had to offered during our trip, The pool, free wifi, canoes, kayaks, paddel boats, basketball hoop, free games for the kids at the registration desk, sidewalk chalk was allowed for the kids to have some fun, they even ofered to start a fire so we could make smores for the kids, I was even able to pick there brain about the hot fishing spots on Lake Flower and did very well fishing. My Family and I have never been to this part of the state before and now they have us for life, this will be the only place we stay every year.
Thanks for the memories....
The Zanzano's ( all 6 of us)
Apex, NC

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Lewiston, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

We planned to finish seeing the Adirondacks on this visit. I really wanted to stay some place that would offer a fridge and microwave since we planned at least 6-7 days. Gauthiers offered this PLUS. I can't say enough about the welcoming feeling and service that they offered. Dan Brownell and his associate Brad made us feel like we were hanging out with friends.....That's the PLUS that you really can't get elsewhere......
THANK YOU!!!!!
Maggie,Bill and Matt O.
Lewiston,NY

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

Gauthier’s is a friendly, affordable, family-run place. It is essentially a motel, with the added extra of free unlimited access to their quality boats (kayaks, canoes, and paddleboats) for use on the lake right behind the motel.

Our room at Gauthier’s was clean and basic. I found the beds to be OK, although my wife found them uncomfortable. Amenities were skimpy, but staff was happy to provide things when asked. Maid service was a little weak (didn’t replace soap or empty garbage).

Rooms are listed as “poolside” or “lakeside.” Our room was “poolside,” and although it was near the pool, it was even nearer to the parking lot, and so there wasn’t much privacy. (This is not unlike many of the motels in this area.) Considering the setup, though, it was relatively quiet. It does seem that the “lakeside” rooms are much better in this respect, but they are more expensive.

The free, easy access to Lake Flower is a big perk. You can just sit and relax by the Lake or use one of their boats.

Overall, this is a good choice if you need a simple, well-located base for your time in the Lake Placid / Saranac Lake area.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

This is a convenient, very typical motel/motor lodge in a great location. We were able to check in early, which is always nice, and had pizza delivered after a long day on the road. The owners seem as nice as the other reviewers have said, but there was too much "socializing" going on among the guests for my taste. The place is busy, with kids and animals about.

Somerville, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but I read all the reviews and thought we would give them a try. My first interaction was when I called to book the room just three days before our stay. I was pleasantly surprised when they still had a room available. Just One. On our way up we hit major traffic so we had to call to find out how late we could actually check in. They told us to take our time, gave us a general idea where our room would be, then informed me the room would be ready and the key would be left inside the room. I was so pleased with how they were willing to work with us.

We arrived just before the office closed, and they knew who we were before I even told them our name. We were guided to our very nice lakeside room and were told that hot coffee would be ready for us in the morning. Oh, did I mention that they also told me that the canoes and kayaks were complementary and to enjoy the lake?

The rooms were a very nice size and very clean. However, if you want to stay at the Ritz this place isn’t for you because it isn’t fancy, but then again, if you are visiting Saranac Lake, you’re probably not the Ritz kind of guy anyway. I only mention this because some of the poor reviews seemed to point out that this wasn’t a 5 Star Hotel, and I want everyone to know that this place is beautiful, but it is what it is, so don’t expect a gold plated luggage cart.

What you can expect is a pleasant stay in a very nice, clean, and comfortable hotel. The service is exceptional and they go out of their way to make you feel at home. I honestly felt like I was staying at a friend’s house rather than in a hotel.

In my world, this place is 5 Stars….We plan to go back next year.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New Vienna, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

Dan & Doug, the brothers who run the Inn, make you feel welcome and right at home with amenities not expected at a motor inn, such as free gourmet coffee, free bottled water, thick fluffy towels, a large clean room with a refrigerator and microwave, nice beds with great feeling sheets, and let's not forget the free use of several kayaks, canoes, paddle boats, and a swimming pool. They also recommended a terrific organic hole in the wall restaurant which turned out to be terrific! Whoops, almost forgot to mention the free WiFi, and it was quiet. I'm coming back!

Lake Placid, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

My fiance and I recently relocated to the Saranac Lake-area, due to a work transfer, and Nicole and Doug went out of their way to make us feel welcome during our stay. We stayed lakefront and our room was bright and cheery--excellent sunlight. We really enjoyed fishing their lakefront in the evenings and taking out one of their canoes for a quiet float. The renovations they've made to all the rooms look fantastic.

The owners really exceeded our expectations of standard hotel provisions and service. Everything from the locally roasted coffee in the morning to the all-natural soaps and conditioner made us feel comfortable during our lengthened stay. We soon ended up finding a place of our own but always look forward to stopping by to visit our friends at Gauthier's.

This is the first choice for accommodations in Saranac Lake village.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Gauthier's Saranac Lake Inn and Hotel? Share your experiences!