“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast

You added Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   25 Orrs Mills Rd, Salisbury Mills, NY 12577   |
Offers & Announcements
It's All Academic!
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We just got back from a long weekend stay at this wonderful B & B. John and Dena were perfect hosts. Dena, your breakfasts were amazing. We felt like family! John was very helpful describing points of interest in his area. Our room was spacious and vey clean. We hope to return again and again. Thanks again for a most memorable weekend.

• Stayed April 2013
jfinneran, Owner at Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thanks! Have you recovered from your "forced march" through all the historical sites? That was quite the agenda you guys had laid out. I hope you got to see everything.
We really look forward to seeing you back here soon,

John and Dena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I wanted to get away for the weekend to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversay. My niece lives in the area and had suggested the Caldwell House. We were bothpleased with the accommodations. The room was rustic and had an Ipad in the room. With it, I was able to locate a near by restaurant for dinner.
John and Dena were both pleasant and helpful.
Breakfast was amazing.
Dawn cleaned our room was also very pleasant and helpful.
We our planning to return in the Fall to witness the changing of the leaves.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
jfinneran, Owner at Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! It was so nice to be able to share your special occasion and hopefully we were able to play some small role in making it quite memorable for you.
Best of luck and here's to 45 more years.

Ramsey, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at the Caldwell House B&B because our daughter was getting married at the nearby Brotherhood Winery. Dena & John were the perfect "hosts". They let us come early the day of the wedding so the bride, the bridal party, my husband & myself could get ready there. We took beautiful photos as well as the photographer. They took care of every need that we had during our stay. The rooms were very clean and the breakfast was wonderful! The bride & groom stayed in a beautiful room that Dena & John decorated with rose petals on the bed and a bottle of champagne to toast their marriage and the beautiful day. I know we all will be back again soon to enjoy the local wineries and the Caldwell House B&B!

Room Tip: When we stayed we used every room. Each room was perfect and had every amenity.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much. Your entire wedding party were such wonderful guests and we were honored to play a small part in such a beautiful occasion.
All the best to Gregory & Alison. May they be blessed with a lifetime of happiness!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I spent last summer in Europe visiting relatives I hadn't seen in over 10 years. You know that feeling, when you instantly reconnect as if no time had passed? Well I had the same feeling with John and Dena, and I was only there for 2 nights!
The house itself is beautifully decorated with nice antique pieces, the room was very cozy and quiet, and the breakfast was delicious. Each room has a mini iPad programmed with all the local area attractions (wineries, shopping, dining, hiking...). If you happen to be there on a Thursday evening, be sure to head across the street to the local pub for live music and friendly people. Until next time:)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
jfinneran, Owner at Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thanks so much for coming to stay with us. The timing of your visit was great - as you got to experience the real "hometown feel" of our little town.
Between getting to meet everyone at the Pub and then running into so many people the next day at Brotherhood Winery, I think you know as many locals as we do!!! :-)
Please come see us again soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have just came back from a wonderful weekend in the Hudson Valley. We stayed at Caldwell B&B and enjoyed every minute there. Our great experience started a week before we left for the weekend, on the phone with John. He so patiently and informatively explained about the B&B, the area and the location. We travelled with our boys, who are 9 and 11, and looked for a peaceful time outside the city. John and Dena, who do not normally accept such young kids, opened their home and hearts to all of us in a way that made us feel so at home and so welcome.

They accommodated every request and desire we had, starting with extra mattress and blankets, to extra incredibly delicious homemade scones and our vegetarian needs. Late in the evening and early in the morning, they were so kind and warm. Dena even offered to watch the boys while we go out. John, without even thinking twice, gave my husband two books that interested him and sat with the kids to watch sports clips for a long time.

Breakfast was so generous and delicious with baked goods, juice and coffee, omelets, fruits and the best company. We will forever cherish the special, personal note that welcomes guests every morning, with information about the whether, trivia facts, flags that represent guests' origin etc.

The house itself is so beautiful and with such interesting history and the room was clean, cosy and airy with everything one can think of including extra toothbrush, iPad, flat TV, and beautiful unique furniture. The house is close to so many points of interest like hiking, shopping, wineries and historic sites.

We simply fell in love with the house and the hosts. We will definitely be back with family and friends. Leaving the house felt like leaving close family. We did not want to leave and we knew we would certainly be back soon. There are not enough good words to describe this special weekend. Thank you John and Dena. Your kindness, warmth and love will stay with us for a long long time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Would you be available to head up our PR and Advertising Dept??!! ;-)

We've had many guests who have had very kind and wonderful things to say about our B&B but Dena and I truly believe it is the fantastic guests that we have that makes the experience so special. It is so much fun for us to be able to interact with people as nice as you and your family.

Being able to share our special Inn with folks who truly appreciate its charm, beauty, and history is something that we cherish.We would be honored to have you and your family stay with us again.

John and Dena

PS. your boys were so well mannered and mature! They are a true testament to the wonderful job you are doing as parents.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

John and Deena are fantastic! This B&B is very quaint, but still modern! They have a flat screen with cable in each room! The breakfast food is so delicious and unique, not your normal bacon and eggs! Loved it!!

• Stayed February 2013
jfinneran, Owner at Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you so much for such a kind and thoughtful review. Dena and I feel so fortunate to have guest like you stay with us. It makes this so much fun for us to do.
Please come see us again real soon!

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about John and Dena and their lovely B&B. My husband and I had planned to travel from PA to NY to see The Great Jack-O-Lantern Blaze at Van Cortlandt Manor in Croton-on-Hudson on the very weekend that Hurricane Sandy ripped through the area. The Blaze was cancelled, and we had no electricity at our house, and so I called John and Dena to ask if there was any way that we could work something out which wouldn't end in me losing all the money that I had invested in the trip! They were so kind and understanding, and graciously allowed me to postpone our stay until the following weekend, when I was able to buy another pair of tickets for the Blaze. (The weather was much better that weekend, and the Blaze was very enjoyable!)
My husband and I stayed in the Butter Hill room, which is painted a cheery shade of yellow, tastefully decorated, and was immaculately clean. Breakfast, cooked by Dena, consisted of enough food to keep us from being hungry until well after lunchtime! When we did get hungry, John and Dena had plenty of menus from local restaurants that we could look through, and were always around to offer suggestions of what to do or where to go. My husband and I enjoyed a walk on a road that ran near the Moodna Trestle Bridge, which is really something to see! Even just sitting on the spacious front porch was a nice way to spend the afternoon.
As I said, the B&B was lovely, but what I really think is worth mentioning is the fact that John and Dena seem to be genuinely nice people who happen to own a B&B! Besides the fact that they were so understanding when Hurricane Sandy ruined our plans, there were just a whole bunch of other little things: when my husband and I arrived later than intended, and had to hurry to eat dinner and get to the Blaze, Dena whipped a little rechargeable battery-powered flashlight out of the outlet on the bathroom wall, and advised us to go to "the pub in the backyard." (Try it--you won't be sorry! And it really IS in the backyard!) When I brought home too many leftovers, they let me store them in their fridge. When it was time to leave, Dena packed all my leftovers into a bag and surrounded them with little baggies of ice to keep them fresh on the drive home. When my husband couldn't get the TV working, John went upstairs and figured out the problem so that we could watch a movie. During breakfast, John sat in a chair by the table and chatted with all the guests. My husband and I both felt like John and Dena like what they do, and they genuinely care about the people who stay with them. We wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Caldwell House, or recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
jfinneran, Owner at Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
We are so happy that we were able to get everything worked out for you despite all the problems Sandy created. You were such nice guests to have and we would love to have you come back and see us again soon.
Please keep in touch!
John and Dena

Been to Caldwell House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!