“Do not stay here no matter how cheap it is.” 1 of 5 stars

Dudley Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 Main Street, Salamanca, NY 14779   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Salamanca
Toledo, Ohio
“Do not stay here no matter how cheap it is.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We booked 3 room in February 2013 and it no doubt the worst place I have ever stayed in. Read all the reviews carefully and I will tell you if anyone says their stay was great and the rooms were clean and plenty of hot water were either fake reviews or they were high on an illegal substance. First off the building is historic and I have no problem with old buildings but they also need to be taken care of and kept up, and the lady at the front was nice. The lobby is newer and looks decent. DON'T LET THIS FOOL YOU. Saturday night they played loud music until 2am which we could clearly hear and our rooms were on the opposite side of the building from the bar two levels up. We checked in around 10pm and had called for two rooms with two full beds and one room with one king. Once at the desk we were told we had two rooms with ONE full bed and one room with one king bed. Once to our rooms we knew this was a very very bad choice. Yes everything is outdated (this is why it should be a good value) But it gets worst. All the rooms we had were non smoking and they smelled of smoke worst than the bars here in Toledo before the smoking ban. Since we had a more people than beds we had cots brought up to us. One room had an extension cord with a damaged section covered in electrical tape than you plugged in for the bathroom light.(no switch). None of the rooms had smoke detectors but the brackets that used to hold them to the wall was still there. One person out of our group of nine attempted to take a shower when we got in. The water was ice cold and we checked the other two rooms. Same ice cold water in there too. We told the lady at the front desk about not having hot water. We were told the same thing as some of the other reviewers "The pilot light went out and give it 45 minutes" so we went out to get something to eat. Came back over an hour later and still no hot water. We all decided to get showers in the morning. The beds were gross. The carpets were gross. The bathroom was gross. I don't know how else to explain it. I pulled back the sheets and the covers and comforter were covered in nasty stains and cigarette burns. Some of us slept in clothes that covered every inch of our body with hoods up on our sweatshirts on top of all the bedding. Others slept on the cots which had so many broken support wires it felt as if it were going to break any minute not to mention how uncomfortable they were. One of us felt the cleanest place he could find was on top of a dresser so that's where he slept, in all of his clothes of course. We all maybe got an hours worth of sleep that night. There also was a door adjoining two rooms and it was nothing but a hollow core door with a gate latch on it and a huge gap between the door and carpeted floor. So we could hear the random people next to us like they were in the same room. Finally at 4 am we couldn't take it anymore and got up to check the water. Hot water!! So two of us got showers and by the third person it was ice cold again. So that is 2 clean people out of 9. We went down and waited until the front desk lady was back and complained and she said its warming up and that everyone was taking showers at the same time. Well DUH its a hotel there is always going to be showers at the same time. I think maybe they have one residential 40 gal. hot water tank and when its out its out. The two that did get showers said that the fitting above the shower head leaked so bad it sprayed over the curtain and soaked the bathroom floor. No toilet seats on any of the toilets either. Just thought I would mention that. So we are in the lobby by 6ish waiting on the rest of the group and they did have questionable coffee, juice and doughnut holes which if you grabbed a doughnut hole one of the two beagle dogs (that were leashed up in the lobby) started howling and barking at you because he thinks its for him. They did have a 5 dollar breakfast but there was no way we were staying any longer than we had to. There is a McDonalds 2 minutes away. As we waited for our group I would say at least 10-13 people left in a few groups and every single one of the groups complained to the lady at the desk on the way out about how dirty everything was and the hot water issue. Apparently no one else got showers either. Being in construction there is multiple hazards including some major electrical ones that worried me. No smoke detectors and very unsafe wiring could mean a deadly combination I will never put my family in again. I have included a few ACTUAL photos of the place as I believe some of the pictures on here are fake/some other hotel. I would also like to add it wasn't just the rooms that smelled bad but hallways and stairwell nearest the sleeping areas as well. I think I could sleep in a job site porta potty better than this place and not to mention the job site porta potty would have bed bugs. We also never sat anything on the floor and put out bags up as high as we could. I don't know if this helped but it eased our mind a bit about what could be lurking in the carpets. Especially since one of the beagles had a huge soar on his back that looked like the mange. Please for the better of humanity DON'T STAY HERE. Fill your car with gas, sleep in it and wash up a fast food joint. You and your family will be cleaner and safer.

Room Tip: The best tip I have is avoid this place at all costs. Like I said I would stay in the car next time...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Great service. Will stay every time in town. Everyone is always friendly and goes out of the way to help. Decorated room for birthday, breakfast is a great deal and good food. This is a good value for your dollar and not far from the skiing area. Your second stay. While hotel is older your room has clean and large.

• Stayed January 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel over MLK weekend. We stayed in the king suite-- which was fantastic! The room was beautiful and the staff were so friendly and nice. We will definitely be back! Great hotel and lovely history to it! We loved it!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I'm back at catching up with my New year's resolutions...to do reviews of places I enjoyed in my travels in 2012 and to keep up with things in a more timely fashion in 2013. As I reflect back on the summer of 2012..The Dudley stands out in my memory. It wasn't the charm of the historic building, nor the local colour of the people it collects...it was all about the welcome from the front desk when I arrived (July 26th I think) and the help to make my stay pleasant that solidifies the good memory. I arrived a bit late in the evening and I was tired. I wanted to stay connected with friends in chat but the reception of the internet wasn't very strong in my room so I sat in the hotel lobby. I was hungry and asked about local places to eat but the kindly lady at the the front desk offered to have something prepared from the kitchen. She ran over possible offerings of the day and I settled on pot roast. A little while later a huge plate of food arrived that was exactly what I needed and topped off by a way too generous portion of cake for dessert. If the adage of "a way to a man's heart is through his stomach" is correct...well the Dudley got to my heart instantly. The food exceeded my expectations...I still drool thinking about it....and the kindly hospitality was unmatched. I try to get to the area at least once each summer and you can be sure I will be at The Dudley again. Its great value, friendly staff...and good food! Three cheers!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Ft. lauderdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Dudley is a very old historic building. Too much remodeling to be of real historic interest. Staff friendly and helpful. Parking plentiful and apparently safe. The building itself needs some work but the room was certainly acceptable but not elegant by any means.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Lockport, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed at the Dudley for 2 nights. Our room was well priced, clean and comfortable. The Dudley is dated but exactly as expected since it's a historical building and exudes a great deal of charm. There is a small town appeal here with friendly staff and residents in the town. The hotel is a short walk from a grocery store and a wonderful restaurant.
I would have no problem staying again and plan to in the future.
No pool or fitness center but the area holds more than enough excercise and activity.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Okay, so let's manage some expectations. This is far, far from the Ritz, (not that they claim to be), but there are so many other reasons to stay here instead of at your run-of-the-mill hotel. Let's start with the staff: they are lively and interesting, and when you call to ask questions about the rooms, they're extremely helpful. Moreover, they easily accommodated a special situation for us. Next, the rooms are cheap! Especially for the area. Third, it has charm and personality. Fourth etc., you're tucked away in a neat little town, wake to a gorgeous view of the mountains, and there's a great little cafe a few blocks over (see Vittlesticks Cafe). There are also called cold sodas and numerous goodies for sale in the lobby of the hotel, along with free coffee, when requested, round-the-clock. A great place to stay, especially if you have a touch of adventurer inside.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Dudley Hotel? Share your experiences!