“be selective” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Port Jefferson, New York
“be selective”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

One of the best chinese restaurants around but you have to know what their best dishes are. For example, their yellow prawns could be from a high quality french restaurant.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Decent, but not unique”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I found the food to be quite good by Chinese-American Take Out standards. Ingredients seemed fresh. The waitstaff, friendly. The atmosphere, typical of a higher-end Chinese restaurant. A major plus- they serve alcohol! Wine and beer mostly. I don't know though, the dishes were the same usual suspects. Nothing about their restaurant really stands out from all the rest. I asked for my meal extra spicy, but no adjustment was made.The salt and pepper pork, a favorite of ours which should be small crispy fried pieces of pork, came out as large fried steaks that got soft before we could eat them. It's a bit on the pricey side for such lack-luster food. It's cooked well, just needs some personality.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ny
“A litle Expensive for Take Out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Cons:
I ordered take out from this place and the prices are a little expensive. The portions are not that big. Same as regular chinese take out.

Pros:
I must say they do have excellent fried rice. It was not oily at all.
Comes in reusable Plastic containers instead of paper boxes.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Bad shrimp and bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I entered Ancient Ginger for the first time and thought it would be great based on reviews. The atmosphere was nice and calm. However, I was seated in the middle near the kitchen and it was very uncomfortable having staff looking over us. Even though staff were right there, I had to ask for more noodles and tea and was not asked if everything was okay. In fact I had to get the waitress to tell her that some of my shrimp in my shrimp teriyaki were bad. She called the manager over and he said that all the shrimp came from the same container and that he had no other complaints. It was 4:45. Last time I go there.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Raritan, New Jersey
“I wish all tack-out places were this nice/efficient!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I've never been to the restaurant itself but the take-out/delivery is great! I've been ordering from this place for almost 3 years and have never been disappointed. The lady that takes the phone orders is so pleasant, the food is great (best chinese in the area, I think) and delivered quickly.

• Visited January 2012