“Not what we expected from a Hilton 3 day stay” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates from just $139!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rye Brook
Toms River, New Jersey
“Not what we expected from a Hilton 3 day stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

My son and I stayed at this Hilton for 3 days during Premier college soccer showcase March 2013. I researched many hotels in the area and although price was higher then others we decided to book because of the Hilton reputation. Upon our arrival we were pleased with the hotels appearance that was newly updated. The parking though requires a far walk from your car with bags but they do offer valet service for a fee. The hotel staff greeted us and completed our check in professionally. Rooms are spacious and beds are comfortable.

Now the NEGATIVE.

Room was updated somewhat but the odor of musty old air was quite evident immediately entering the room. Bathroom was spacious but not kept after very well by staff. Hair was on floor and a trash bin had tissues discarded from a previous occupant. Carpets also did appear to have been vacuumed as well.

Expensive for the quality of the accommodations......... The problem with this hotels location is no surrounding restaurants or eateries within several miles forcing you to use the hotels services. AND THEY KNOW THIS BY THE PRICES THEY CHARGE.

First off $17 PER DAY for Internet service in this modern time. I was advised by staff if I chose to do my work in the lobby the Internet wifi was free. Then why not in room like most modern lower price hotels?

Stay away from the small store in the hotel. My son purchased a ice tea, water, package of gum, package of granola bars for a whopping $18.

The following morning we went to the restaurant for our NON complementary breakfast. 2 egg white omelets with toast and coffee/tee came to $45 but was prepared well and service was standard. We could have opted for the buffet for $19.95 per person.

Upon return from my sons soccer game (1pm) our room still was not serviced. I had to ask for clean towels for him to shower.

Then the completely unacceptable. We had dinner in the restaurant. It was 8pm and not at all busy. We were immediately sat and service started off good. We placed our orders for a steak and chicken dish. After 40 minutes all we received were some not so fresh pieces of bread and beverages. We were not offered refills nor told why our meals were delayed. After another 10 minutes in asked the waiter what was the delay. I was told The well done steak requires additional time and will be out in 2 minutes...... After another 10 minutes I asked a person cleaning tables to get the manager. I did this so others were able to hear as my waiter never returned. I observed a man sitting with a woman Few tables away get up after hearing this and walk to the kitchen area. The manager responded and apologized after learning of our issue. He was very professional and offered more bread or beverage. We told him yes on the beverage and would like our food. After another 5 minutes our food was served...... My sons steak was rare and my organic chicken breast was the portion for a small child. I immediately requested the manager again. He appeared to be shocked at the portion and undercooked steak and took them back.

1 hour 20 min after placing our order we finally received the meals as ordered. The food was tasteful and good quality but we were complete frustrated in the end. While eating the manager came over to our table and asked how the food was. We told him it was acceptable but service was horrible. I was asked how could he make it up to me and I told him that is for him to decide. He offered a free dessert. We said no thank you and he walked away.

A short time later after finishing our meals that man who was sitting adjacent to us and walked to the kitchen introduced himself. He presented a card indicating he was with Hilton Corporate and was evaluating the property performance. He apologized for the service and informed us he instructed the manger to fully comp our $130 check. He also gave us free breakfast the next morning. I informed him of the other issues before mentioned above and stated the Hotel is undergoing many changes. I thanked him for his attention to the issue but told him I would be hard pressed to stay at a Hilton again as this was our 2nd bad experience with the chain in as many visits.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DeniseRubin, Manager at Hilton Westchester, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Robert C,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments via Trip Advisor. I completely understand from your comments why it was not what you expected. I am very happy to talk with you in regards to your experience. Please do not hesitate to contact myself directly at 914-934-2540. I would like to invite you back to the hotel if possible.

Denise Rubin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Decent property; nothing to write home about. I am usually in mid-level properties that most often include free wifi, free paper, free breakfast. Of course, none of these are included at a Hilton- so coupled with the already higher-than-I-usually-pay rate, I was not real pleased on the overall cost to stay here. However, the common area/bar is nice for a post-business cocktail- complete with fireplace.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear donwon,

Thank you for your honest comments in regards to the additional costs during your stay. As a Hilton property we do need to follow the guidelines for our property. I am happy you enjoyed the renovated area and fireplace.

Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

If you need to stay in the Westchester area this is the hotel I recommend. The staff is friendly and the rooms are very comfortable. I will say do not order food at the bar as it takes way too long, but the restaurant is good and the service there is good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear asicscout,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments via Trip Advisor. I will share your comments with the team. I do apologize fort he long wait you had at the bar. I hope you will visit again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

it is a great hotel out side of New york City on very large property. it is very private very roomy
the staff is very good they want to please
The food was fair but the grounds are worth the stay as is the surrounding area

Room Tip: pick a room close to the check in we had to walk a long way to the room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DeniseRubin, Manager at Hilton Westchester, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear charles073,

I am happy you had a relaxing weekend while staying with us. Thank you for postin gyour feedback via Trip Advisor. I will share your feedback with our team and we look forward to having you spend another weekend in the near future.

Sincerely.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel has lost its old charm and character with the renovation. Plus the pool which my kids love, was out of order. We might as well have just stayed in Manhattan! Service was so-so. The wait for breakfast was horrendous. We spent almost 20 minutes standing in line while the staff rushed around looking frazzled and avoiding eye contact with all the unhappy guests! It's probably best to go for a late breakfast after 10.30 if you can.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bill S, Manager at Hilton Westchester, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for posting your comments via Trip Advisor. I appologize for the long wait and pool being closed. As noticed we have completed a major renovation that did open up the lobby, restarant and lounge. We are very proud of the decor but it is a more modern than the old style.

The restaurant has enjoyed great success and a wonderful buffet. Of course I am very concerned about the long wait. We will review our staffing guidelines and we'll keep the buffet open until 1pm on the weekends.

Additionally the pool is back in service. For the safety of our guest we needed to ensure the chlorine levels were correct. Further we do have a new ADA pool lift installed.

Please let me know when you return as I would like to personally ensure an outstanding stay.

Bill Scheer
Director of F&B
914-934-2555
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed there 2 16 2013. Great room. Great breakfast. No coffee carafe for our room coffee maker and they charged me $2 to get an extra coffee in the AM (they didn't chase me down the hall but that was what the sign said and I did not dispute). Worst has been to try and find a lost item. Know that it was left on the bed in the room, but "they have no knowledge". This was not really expensive but the lack of concern has been off putting. I would think twice about returning. I would go to a smaller hotel that actually cared about their guests. Edith

Room Tip: Huge hotel. If you have kids ask to be close to the front desk
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear eandjhome,

I really appreciate you takin gthe time to post your comments via Trip Advisor. I am happy you felt you had a great room and breakfast, however I am concerned about your lost item. I am happy to assist with a lost and found inquiry, please do not hesiate to contact me. We do care and our guests are very important to us. I look forward to hearing from you.

914-934-2540
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Clean rooms. Staff were very caring and welcoming. Recommended for couples and great place for business. Excellent location. Buffet breakfast for two was great. The property with woods excellent. Best place to stay if you don't like city or downtown. About 20 miles to Manhattan. Will be there again very soon when the weather is much better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear zee o,

Thank you for the excellent comments via Trip Advisor. It is always nice to be able to share the feedback from our guests with the team. We really appreciate our loyalty and recommendation.

Denise Rubin

Been to Hilton Westchester? Share your experiences!